Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 bird has 26K miles on it and I am thinking of upgrading the shock and front springs/oil. Don't have a big budget and was looking at the Nitron R1 or Wilbers 640 Road. These are both basic shocks with the same adjustments as the stocker. Does anyone have any thoughts on this upgrade along with raceteck springs and lighter weight oil? Will I gain much in ride improvement? Are these shocks much better than the stock one?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Second the Nitron, best bang for your buck. A respring of the front is also a good idea the factory undersprings and over damps. Ktech or Racetech have spring rate calculators that will get you the correct rate springs for your front.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I'm running the R2 now. Every bit the shock as my ohlins and a lot cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
one thing to think about is what kind of road conditions are in your area? Another is any weight loss mods on the bike. I was going to do what you are going to do, but I have shaved 25 pounds of of my bike and with my generally rough roads here I felt that the stock legs work very well for me.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
This is all I have left. Some fancy frame plugs I peeled off before I sold on. Ready to go on another sometime in the future.
Hopefully not to long. The withdrawal symptoms got to bite. Be safe my freind and may you have a happy and fruitful new year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys sorry if I'm hijacking here, but on the subject of replacement shock....
Anyone try Daughertys BD40 yet on the bird?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK thanks everyone for your responses but I still have not heard from any owners/users of the Nitron R1 or Wilbers 640 Road. I am interested in hearing about experience with these specific shocks.

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey guys sorry if I'm hijacking here, but on the subject of replacement shock....
Anyone try Daughertys BD40 yet on the bird?
i cannot speak of this shock, but I had a 929 shock that was modified to work on my VFR byDaugherty. If that mod was any indication I would not hesitate to recommend. I did spring for the front fork kit and could not be happier.

sorry Porky. Not the info you specifically request but some more options to consider, perhaps

·
Registered
454 Posts
OK thanks everyone for your responses but I still have not heard from any owners/users of the Nitron R1 or Wilbers 640 Road. I am interested in hearing about experience with these specific shocks.
Nitron has a great reputation, and Wilbers isn't far behind either - presuming you want to upgrade the OEM shock on your '99, there's probably not much to research and investigate to be honest. If your bike is "ok to ride" right now with that 21 year old rear shock damped/sprung for a 75kg rider, Nitron R1 made for your weight range will be another level. Do it, buy it! :D

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts

Thanks
Have a look at my post a couple of posts up I have 2 of the Nitron R1's and I love them. Best value for money here, the Wilbers are always far more expensive so I have never given one a try.
My Nitrons have coped with commuting, sunday rides and long tours with big loads on. Never let me down and so far nothing (apart from service items - seals, oil) has needed to be replaced at service time ..... so they are well built.
https://www.nitron.co.uk/products/motorcycles/ntr-r1-shock

·
Registered
244 Posts
My bird has R2 by far the best thing I done to my 04 bird. And raceteck gold values up front brilliant combination.JUST DO IT

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have the Wilber’s 641. Many years of happy riding now and it is next level compared to stock. The 641 includes adjustable compression damping but after playing with it for a while, I set it back to stock (bespoke setup)’and haven’t touched it since, so I wouldn’t miss this adjuster. Like most riders will tell you, after the change, you will want to get the front done as well. I went with Racetech springs and valves and was very happy.
But...Penske, Ohlins, Wilber’s, etc are all excellent shocks. I don’t know any friends who are unhappy with their various choices. The step up from stock is huge. The stock suspension is a big weakness of the bird. I hope this helps.

·
Cougar
50 Posts
I also have 641, I did look at the 640, but thought, why go with something I already have and not have something that I can adjust to suit me and how I ride. I also had the hyd spring preload adjuster fitted, no spanners needed for spring adjustment.I have the high/low speed compression set to how I like it, and the only one I change is the spring preload, I wind it up when the gear sack bag goes on the back, and wind it back when it’s off.
Bike handles soooo much better and turns quicker.
285728C2-9B56-45FC-9448-BA05B82CB5D5.jpeg 2190D768-8DB5-4430-A504-EB42B1A71253.jpeg 87777DD6-24DC-41D1-BF8E-47D56E1DF21D.jpeg 4E7EE900-3C33-41A7-B8BA-8A03EAB976DC.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run the Jaws front spring upgrade. I highly recommend them (longer spring with a shorter spacer. Remember to order new fork seals. The seals Jaws sells are also very high quality, I'd recommend them.
For the rear suspension I run a Hyperpro shock and spring with a 4mm spacer. The ride is awesome, dips into twisties fast, overall pretty good set up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts