Honda CBR XX Forum banner
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
That's a good idea with oil pressure gauge. Do ya screw it in to where put oil? I have a bunch of pressure guages.

I sure hope it isn't a rod thing. I'm not a rich man....don't think I can afford new engine. Here is what it sounds like if you can make out the noise

my observation from that recording is that you are definately off a cylinder and firing on only 3 or even 2

until you have that sorted it is very hard to work out the rest of the noises but it doesn't sound great unfortunately, I don't think it is a bearing though, as bearing knock will get worst as the revs go up

oil pressure is measured from the oil pressure switch which is at the back of the engine to the right - it has a rubber cap on it and is just below the thermostat housing slightly to the right

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
One more thing....can you manually tighten the cct....I saw a video some guy took out bolt and had tiny screw driver ECT....but its a brand new cct. I would not think bad
Can you manually tighten the CCT this way.....NO. This guy was temporarily tightening it, similar to pushing down on the corner of a car.

Agreed, your brand new CCT is most likely fine.

If you do the screwdriver thing and the CCT /camchain noise is markedly reduced then CCT is most likely worn out. 3-4000rpm is the test zone.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
After you run it for a minute or so are all exhaust headers equally hot? Might point to misfiring cylinder... quick test is spray each header with water and see if they all sizzle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ho
Just realized something else hear looking at your comment.
1st is this a carbie or FI
2nd of it's a carby then the above statement leads me to think that unless you have done a plug ckeck to verify or have rejetted you may be running lean. Which will make pinging on roll on even easier to do.
How in the hell were you able to pinpoint the number 1 cylinder by that audio? I need this power. You were absolutely correct. Redid the wire on my plug and boom it runs smoother and I see a glimpse of the power it's supposed to have.

Ordering 2 new coils.

Shout out to everyone who helped me and been helping me.

·
Administrator
9,122 Posts
Just remembered what your brother said about it sounding like it was missing. And then you mentioned that wire was buggered from before.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok...now that it's running again...and has new coils...the noise is much less but still there. I do have an issue with cylinder one where the spark plug boot keeps coming up causing a misfire. I made a device to hold it in place.

Now to the rattle.

If I slowly creep the bike up in rpms it's not near as prevelent as when I gun it. It's still around 3500 rpms. I can't hear it if I just rev the engine.

This might help diagnose it. My bike doesn't have a diaphragm in the petcock. I have a fuel shut off valve.

Sometimes when I start it I can hear a bit of .....sounds like air escaping usually with what seems to be a miss. Tonight when I started it hear this loud noise like I took a hammer to the frame. I thought the motor had just let go. I hit the starter again and bike fired right up and ran just fine.

I sometimes think that hissing air like an exhale and miss has something to do with fuel delivery. I believe this to be so because it always does this when I forget to open the valve for fuel.

Could it be im getting to much fuel or not enough making this noise. Could it be pre detonation. ?

·
Administrator
9,122 Posts
Have you tried firing with the cap open see how it runs. That rattle coming in at 35 sounds like the tensioner
If it continues and then drops off at 45 with a steady throttle increase then it's a CCT.

·
Administrator
9,122 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
80 Posts
The gas cap doesn't seal very well. Seems i have to take the entire thing off. Key won't come out when open.

The noise didn't stop at 4500 although it seemed to be quieter, but it could be it was blending in to engine noise. I took it up to about 7000. I rarely go above 6000 rpm on mine. I'm just a slow poke.

I still don't think it has this lightning speed it's supposed to have. Maybe it's supposed to be at 9000 rpms or something. Not sure.

I use midgrade fuel. I'll be running to autosupply and getting some fuel additive later. I heard sea foam is good.

Lastly, I understand these engines run a bit warm. Although my temp gauge shows on the lower end....I wore shorts today and kept having to move my legs as the heat was burning my legs. When I bought my new fairings I didn't put the little covers that go from the engine to side covers. I'm at a delima wether I should put them on. If I doy legs won't burn but I'm afraid it will trap heat and burn up the engine. Almost feels like there is a fire under my ass riding the

·
Administrator
9,122 Posts
Thats normal keeps you from loosing it
It sould go away at 45 if its a CCT can you get a recording and post it or if you want give me a call and i'll give a listen over the phone as well. I'm home all day and you should have my number from a previous conversation message.
The Mid grade is more than enough octane. I run mine on regular in the desert heat and have only pinged it a couple times when I rolled on hard at 3000 rpm in 3rd.
Lower end is normal heat.
Running without those guards will fry your legs
There is a proceedure in the book to check ignition with a light. I'd make sure that is tracking like it's supposed

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mi
Thats normal keeps you from loosing it
It sould go away at 45 if its a CCT can you get a recording and post it or if you want give me a call and i'll give a listen over the phone as well. I'm home all day and you should have my number from a previous conversation message.
The Mid grade is more than enough octane. I run mine on regular in the desert heat and have only pinged it a couple times when I rolled on hard at 3000 rpm in 3rd.
Lower end is normal heat.
Running without those guards will fry your legs
There is a proceedure in the book to check ignition with a light. I'd make sure that is tracking like it's supposed
Might have found the culprit and I believe it's fuel related.

Coming home tonight it ran fine then slowly lost power, hicup and shit till it just died. I started with choke on and went bit further and died. So I took end of fuel hose off my cut off valve. Blew thru it ..put it on and made it home on choke

I'm not draining my tank....drip....drip...drip....the crap that's coming out . I'm so glad I had an inline filter.

Thinking I've not been getting enough gas... That would explain miss and just lack of power I've thought it had. Thinking you wanted me open tank for better gas flow making sure there was no vacumn correct?

Going to clean out tank ,fresh gas and hope all is well.

I so much appreciate the time and effort you've give

·
Registered
80 Posts
You wete correct, I believe you were anyway. So I got tired of drip drip as I just put some gas in earlier today, had 3/4 of tank and at that rate it would take till tomorrow. So I started unbolting pet cock and as soon as I did a steady flow started coming out the hose. I must have had a vacumn in the tank I'm thinking.

Anyway, I'm draining the tank, cleaning out everything, putting on another filter and praying this changes things

·
Administrator
9,122 Posts
On thinking you have found the issue as well.
So on the bottom of the tank there are 2 spigots. The smaller of the 2 is the tank vent tube. If you can drain the tank flip it then shoot some pb blaster down that time and make sure you can blow air through it. Just be careful not to put too much pressure. I'd stay at about 40 psi. There is a big doughnut around the filler neck. There's a small hole or holes on the up side of the ring facing the top sheet metal. Make sure it's clear. I suspect as you have found its partially or completely plugged. So yes the tank is drawing a vaccum and fuel starving. Which would explain your symptoms.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well....I'm going to have to order some stuff.

There is no diaphram so that vent just leaks gas so it's been sealed. There are 2 hoses coming out the sides on mine that t into 1 hose which goes to some round looking deal then goes to carbs. There are 2 hoses that come from the carbs and basically go nowhere so I stuffed them in the air breather box as there are two small openings and a big one in the middle of rear side. It's all fubarbed. I think whomever had this bike must have had a couple other Honda which he used to keep this one running or he did an extreme amount of meth ...cause this bike is all methed up everywhere.

So first thing now is order a new petcock assembly

·
Administrator
9,122 Posts
Ok so here is a picture of the petcock line routing. E is the port I was referring to. That port goes to the vent ring at the top of the tank. It's supposed to be s steel tune that actually runs inside the tank to the vent ring. Noe if it's rusted through it's going to leak fuel. If that is the case all is not lost. You can replace your existing cap with an aftermarket vented version
But check and make sure that line is clear. I'm betting it's not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok so here is a picture of the petcock line routing. E is the port I was referring to. That port goes to the vent ring at the top of the tank. It's supposed to be s steel tune that actually runs inside the tank to the vent ring. Noe if it's rusted through it's going to leak fuel. If that is the case all is not lost. You can replace your existing cap with an aftermarket vented version
But check and make sure that line is clear. I'm betting it's not. View attachment 131443
Thank you. Haven't been able get on lately , but here is what's of late.

So I walked out to find gasoline all under bike. My makeshift seal from petcock to tank gave out. I had limited time but went ahead and tried to put in the kit I got the night before. I unclogged the vent line and I guess the vacumn line and began to put the kit in...but ran out time. So I put back together like I originally had it...except now the vent and vacumn lines pouring gas out. So I took a tube and attached them together.

Huge difference. The bike actually surprised the shit out of me actually raising the front wheel of the ground while I flew thru the gears never getting over 7g rpms.

The noise however didn't go away but I learned some things. It doesn't make noise when engine is cold. More years up, the more noise.

i can ease the rpms up and the noise is not near as loud

the noise starts at about 3700 rpms and goes away about 6300 rpms..give or take 200 rpms.

I will need to take a pic of my fuel line situation. I have the left and right fuel feed lines going into a t...coming out one line.then into a fuel filter then a shut off valve then into this round thing then to carb. I have 2 lines coming out carb going nowhere. I have vent and vacumn connected together. It came like this except I added the filter and shutoff valve.

yes...it's a miracle the thing runs I'm sure

·
Administrator
9,122 Posts
So sounds like the vent was plugged. If your not using this for a commuter then I would see about getting a oil pressure gauge tapped into the oil pressure switch line. Then make sure your making at least 10 pounds for each 1000 rpm with it peaking at 70 # at 5000 rpm. That will at least give you peac of mind that the bottom end is good. I would check oil level again and make sure there's no fuel in there too

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had the fuel in oil issue a couple times but have never run it. Forgot to close the fuel valve. Cylinders will fill up and bike won't start. So I changed oil. Did it 3 damn times in one week. Noise never changed.

Yes it's my commuter but looks like I have some time off work due to rain. I'll see what I can do oil pressure wise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So sounds like the vent was plugged. If your not using this for a commuter then I would see about getting a oil pressure gauge tapped into the oil pressure switch line. Then make sure your making at least 10 pounds for each 1000 rpm with it peaking at 70 # at 5000 rpm. That will at least give you peac of mind that the bottom end is good. I would check oil level again and make sure there's no fuel in there too
Would a compression test tell me much ?

101 - 120 of 134 Posts