Honda CBR XX Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
PW, just a thought here... Any mods you've done with pictures could be added to yur "My introduction to Pennywise" thread keeping all yur pics in "one" place, including these wonderful dash conversions.
Hi @lovinmycbr1000f , sorry bud... Not my intention to hijack your thread. Not sure yet how this work where i can share something with you privately as these pics i would have liked to send directly to you. But no worries, ill open a thread for it quick then we remove it from here :) ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hi @lovinmycbr1000f , sorry bud... Not my intention to hijack your thread. Not sure yet how this work where i can share something with you privately as these pics i would have liked to send directly to you. But no worries, ill open a thread for it quick then we remove it from here :) ;)
Absolutely no problem! Too bad yur reluctant to share some more of or all of yur mod pictures on this forum... We LOVE to share ideas! However, you can always click on yur icon and go to the "conversation" tab then punch up whomever you'd like to send it to. Done! So now only THAT person has whatever you sent them...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Absolutely no problem! Too bad yur reluctant to share some more of or all of yur mod pictures on this forum... We LOVE to share ideas! However, you can always click on yur icon and go to the "conversation" tab then punch up whomever you'd like to send it to. Done! So now only THAT person has whatever you sent them...
To be quite honest, I do not know where to start...I have done so many custom mods and changes that I surprise myself that no two of my bikes look the same. While i'm waiting for parts to come from the engineers I spent the time building some tools (Bench Vice & Belt Sander) with stuff that I didn't wanna throw away, so before the kids complain I'm a hoarder, I will build something I need....lol. the bench vice I built using my old Ironman weights stand and old sprockets, the belt sander I just converted the one side of my bench grinder and used the bearings and wheels from my Long Board (skateboard). these I will need for my final stretch in completing Pennywise which is bodywork. Custom Nose fairing as well as custom side panels. so basically, I sometimes want to put the challenge out there for guys that want to customise there bikes to tell me which part and see if there is a part I didn't touch, replace or customise yet...last week at 3am the morning I decided to change the look of the black bike again by changing the wheels.could post before or after but will start a post for that...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Okay! So doing prep work for anodizing!

1- "Buckets"
2- Pots
3- Heating elements
4- charger
5- thermometers
6- roll of aluminum wire(will have to change often.... no titanium handy!)
7- Degreaser
8- Rit dye(Black and Red)
9- 4.5 liters of bat. acid
10- 32 liters of distilled water
11- Oh! Almost forgot not pictured gloves and goggles...

I don't plan on etching further after degreasing with lye or drano. Because it will further dull the finish product. Just have to make sure to REALLY clean the part well with baking soda and dish soap AND degreaser. And of course rinse everything with distilled water. Once the part has been clean thoroughly, I can then perform the "water break test". Whatever part I spray with distilled water and the water "Sheens" on the surface yur good to go! If however after spraying the part and the water "beads" on the surface yur part is still dirty! NO BEADING ALLOWED!!! Or yur part will come out with faded spots and squigglies here and there!

Fabrication of anodizing gear... Had 3 aluminum poles and 4 aluminum sheets triangles on hand.

Hanging bars fabricated with bridge and holes. Triangles bent here and there... All parts have been scrubbed down with steel wool and degreased.

Bridge complete and one single. Triangle plates connected.

Aluminum triangles are interlocked for positive connections...

Triangles are connected via aluminum bar wrapped around vesel. And anchored inside at end of the tube. The horizontal bar rest on the ledge and does NOT touch the bar below... But as a precaution, will insulate ledge with cloth hockey tape...

Next, Clean parts AGAIN and start anodizing!!! More pics to come!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Oooh I'm keen to see this and the results obtainable. I'm considering anoising my alu work and for the steel furniture try blackening via a ferous/ steel oxide similar process:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Oooh I'm keen to see this and the results obtainable. I'm considering anoising my alu work and for the steel furniture try blackening via a ferous/ steel oxide similar process:
Yep can't wait! I know I'll be going through some trial and error to get the desired colour... Black is pretty straight forward. It's the red that's going to be the challenge. Yeah doing steel is similar, was also looking into that but alas won't be going that route. BUT I'm also keen on how it turns out for ya!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Okay so anodizing gone wrong!? Didn't turn out well at all! BUT I'm still in the trial and error stage. Should have it all figured out by this wk end...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
Semi finished dash...

Still have some cleaning up to do...

Decided to cover face front with Black gloss vinyl... Alot more durable not as easy to scratch or scuff...

Upgraded lights to New LED's T10 and T5

Once dash was removed I noticed these areas had excess wear? Not sure if it's the triangle bracket or a cable that was rubbing it!? In any event I would hate for this to creat a ground or worse!!! PLEASE ZOOM IN FOR CLOSER LOOK.

Protected!

Dash upgrade complete! Ready for install! Now... If I can only find that bloody speedo reset rubber boot!!!(AFTER!)

BEFORE!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Very nice! Great lookimg results. I've got to start playing with VdV!

So how do you get the vinyl to sink and wrap downwards and outwards from:

to

to cover the stepped concentric circles of the dash dial surrounds?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Very nice! Great lookimg results. I've got to start playing with VdV!

So how do you get the vinyl to sink and wrap downwards and outwards from:
View attachment 131878
to
View attachment 131879
to cover the stepped concentric circles of the dash dial surrounds?
Thank you! Circle template. Like the one below however, I do have a larger template not shown... I'll go up to 1/8" to 1/4" overlap OR two or three sizes smaller than circle in question... Then with yur thumb or finger push inward to partialy seal the overlap. Then HEAT the flat end of a pencil Xacto blade with a heat gun and "roll" the hot end INSIDE the edge of the hole to completely seal the overlap ends. Should already be wearing gloves because it gets hot fast!. Also thinking of either a very light coat of clear paint for all six round small holes or nail polish. Need to seal it...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Wow! Sounds like intricate and patient work. Well done! Gives me faith that I could (eventually) VdV the inside of my indicatore lights with a smoked VdV (so protected from road debri wear and tear but with an even tiniting achieved that I'm not getting with the spray style products)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Wow! Sounds like intricate and patient work. Well done! Gives me faith that I could (eventually) VdV the inside of my indicatore lights with a smoked VdV (so protected from road debri wear and tear but with an even tiniting achieved that I'm not getting with the spray style products)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Could you simply apply a clear VdV over the whole thing to seal it?
Yes it is! BUT very doable! And U can too! Excellent point re clear VdV. Unfortunately I didn't allow ennuf drying time between coats and uppon complete drying one wk later it cracked and even buckled in some places! Sooooo, had no choice but to sand and go the VdV route! BUT in the end I should have realised that the vinyl would ultimately offer better wear and tear...
Oh by the way, I often go back to my explanations of things re-read them and invaribly end up adding stuff to better clarify!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Okay! So forks finally complete!

25 coats later...

Automotive tire Reed instrument Brass instrument Bicycle tire Saxophone

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

Three layers of Vivvid vinyl on lower front of fork. Black/White/Black and White stripe along both sides. Might end up removing White stripes, not sure yet...
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Bumper

41 - 58 of 58 Posts