Honda CBR XX Forum banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 · (Edited)
Lovin... Looking good there bro… keep the pics coming. You gonna remould your beetlebags to gain the extra internal space liberated by lack of indicator stalks or just foam fill the locations?
Thanks mate! I was thinking just that! once bags were painted... I figured wasn’t worth the trouble to gain an extra 3, 4 inches of internal space! Naw... like the song says I “Let it be...”
However, some moulding will be required to make it look like this...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Rim

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
More pics...
Drinkware Automotive lighting Hood Fluid Liquid

I had a plan! Unfortunately it didn’t work out the way I planned. So first cut was wrong. And removed too much plastic...
Hood Bumper Tints and shades Wood Bag

Wrong cut... Required heat gun to soften plastic.
Hood Bumper Eyewear Automotive exterior Fender

Wrong cut and cut too short!
Hood Automotive lighting Product Automotive tire Automotive design

Nope!
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

Aahh! Gave myself more work but in the end worked out! Here, I added a piece... Now time to mould.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Much better fit.
Food Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle

Yep! Now we’re talking!
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive parking light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Starting to mould...
Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Gas

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Hello Fellow Fighter Pilots. Not a big deal but this tail light conversation should have been on part 4! However the final vinyling will be posted on part 4.

I forgot to post part of the molding...The following pics shows part of molding process... Once again tried, tested and true! Baking soda and crazy glue! Sandable, water proof and paintable! This was the hardest part...
Automotive lighting Fluid Hood Bumper Automotive tire

Fluid Plastic bottle Gas Plastic bag Plastic

Hood Automotive lighting Liquid Fluid Bumper

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Fin Automotive exterior

Textile Sleeve Aluminium foil Tobacco Red

Glasses Textile Tartan Sleeve Eyewear

Textile Rectangle Flooring Floor Paint

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Question re baking soda and crazy glue. I assume the combo gives a very hard inflexible result. If so, is thete anything you can add to make it a touch flexible (better at coping with minor knocks re absorbing or yielding on impact)?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Excellent question! Yes final results are hard and inflexible... Most cases I use Baking Soda and Crazy Glue(BSCG) for rigid applications... i.e. zero flex. For the tail light application I used triple strength construction glue on the opposite side of BSCG giving it some flex. For the most part there will be maybe 2% to 3% flex. on its own it would probably crack! Not break to pieces however. With the added construction glue it gives it just enough flex so as not to crack. Again excellent question mate!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I tried the powder/superglue on cracks and splits, mostly on the tail section when I first got my bike. Rode her without finish/paint to see how the repairs would hold. They all eventually failed due to the non flexible nature of this repair. I ended up making the repairs using ABS "mending plates" in combo with fiberglass mesh tape and ABS plumbers glue. ABS plumbers glue is simply acetone and ABS shavings left to brew in a sealed container. I have to admit I didn't try ABS welding, that would have been next.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I tried the powder/superglue on cracks and splits, mostly on the tail section when I first got my bike. Rode her without finish/paint to see how the repairs would hold. They all eventually failed due to the non flexible nature of this repair. I ended up making the repairs using ABS "mending plates" in combo with fiberglass mesh tape and ABS plumbers glue. ABS plumbers glue is simply acetone and ABS shavings left to brew in a sealed container. I have to admit I didn't try ABS welding, that would have been next.
BSCGlue is quite versatile. That being said best applications are for non flexing parts.
Textile Rectangle Flooring Floor Tints and shades

As you can see this is fairly thin... So not really used as a major support. But rather to look uniform and wrap round the end part of the tail light. BSCGlue IS versatile as long as it’s application is fixed/ridged. Small holes, great for broken tabs, filing cracks and more...

Malo... yur too funny!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
I have to admit I didn't try ABS welding, that would have been next.
Well I’m at that phase right now. So going to use fibreglass material and Bondo metal reinforced filler. I used Bondo body filler putty for the external part. Should be beyond solid once completed. Pics to come...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
If it works, it works. I do recommend that before finish and paint that you install and test parts under load as it were. 3-4 tanks minimum. Windy conditions, potholes, silly speeds etc.
Thanks Fiz. Will do! Makes sense. In essence a “shakedown” of the whole bike...
With the bike having 95% of all electrical part replaced or upgraded, I’m praying that I won’t have unwanted gremlins! Or new parts failing, cracking, breaking, bending or snapping.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 · (Edited)
Twin airhorn install complete cont...

Not shown, under the fiber glass Bondo epoxy has already been applied and is dry...
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Camera lens Carbon
Hood Automotive tire Wood Automotive lighting Bumper
Wood Gadget Wood stain Audio equipment Hardwood
Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain Laminate flooring
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Light
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Auto part

Will need to modify the under tail slightly to accommodate airhorn bulge and compressor... Pics to come.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts