Honda CBR XX Forum banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I so so so want to mount a camera in the nose too. Great idea re foam surround (I assume to aid in mounting re the velcro pad versus screws, but to also dampen vibes and protect the canera re shock… no issue re potential overheating?). Fab mod work from you again Lovin!

Likewise I was aiming to drill through the nose but am also considering mounting inside the headlight. My DRLs make the parking light redundant (and technically I think you are only allowed to show max two parking lights not three here in tge UK (though I've never ever used the function full stop and no issues re MoT checks)).

Upsides would be cleaner lines (no external hole cutting) and great camera protected.

Downside I'd have to smooth out the internal ridges in the headlight lens to create a clear flat window area in tge headlight lens. Possibly guard against internal reflections/ light spill from the headslights and heat disipation (if a factor). Wonder if it would constitute an illegal headlight mod re UK roads? Prob much harder install too.

On balance nose cone drilling seems the winner esp to maintain as wide a viewing angle as possible (else under windscreen may also be an option)

Thoughts anyone?

Rgds Mallow1

·
Administrator
9,369 Posts
@Lovin',

Are you going for recording only or a screen up in the dash area (esp if going for rear camera too)? Video only or audio too?
Take a look at INNOV I am running the K2 setup now front and rear

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I so so so want to mount a camera in the nose too. Great idea re foam surround (I assume to aid in mounting re the velcro pad versus screws, but to also dampen vibes and protect the canera re shock… no issue re potential overheating?). Fab mod work from you again Lovin!

Likewise I was aiming to drill through the nose but am also considering mounting inside the headlight. My DRLs make the parking light redundant (and technically I think you are only allowed to show max two parking lights not three here in tge UK (though I've never ever used the function full stop and no issues re MoT checks)).

Upsides would be cleaner lines (no external hole cutting) and great camera protected.

Downside I'd have to smooth out the internal ridges in the headlight lens to create a clear flat window area in tge headlight lens. Possibly guard against internal reflections/ light spill from the headslights and heat disipation (if a factor). Wonder if it would constitute an illegal headlight mod re UK roads? Prob much harder install too.

On balance nose cone drilling seems the winner esp to maintain as wide a viewing angle as possible (else under windscreen may also be an option)

Thoughts anyone?

Rgds Mallow1
Thanks mate! yep I use velcro instead of screws a lot easier and foam to dampen vibes and protect cam fromshock.placing cam inside headlight sounds like a real headache not to mention heatlight reflection. nose cone drilling nose cone easy and fairly simple. okay so I will have a dash cam split screen for front or back and I can record at anytime

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Hey Malo! I have an Fi model so putting the air horn in the back of the headlight is Mission Impossible! believe me I tried! The only feasible place I can put them would be in back on the grills on the tail section. will need to modify the toolkit area to support two compressors...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
One airhorn will fit between the forks on an FI (Twisted Throttle published a "how to"… when I bought my first one I hadn't spotted the instructions were for an FI not a carbie so my garage fitted it under the tank instead… hence me investigating alternative solutions and ending up nose cowl soln fir carbies).

So scope out:
  • between the forks (apparently there's enough clearance for 1 in FIs)
  • check out under the tank free space (space for 1 on a carbie, not sure re FI)
  • consider the split versions (compressor in different location than the horn shell itself… may allow horns to be up front and compressors out of sight)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
One airhorn will fit between the forks on an FI (Twisted Throttle published a "how to"… when I bought my first one I hadn't spotted the instructions were for an FI not a carbie so my garage fitted it under the tank instead… hence me investigating alternative solutions and ending up nose cowl soln fir carbies).

So scope out:
  • between the forks (apparently there's enough clearance for 1 in FIs)
  • check out under the tank free space (space for 1 on a carbie, not sure re FI)
  • consider the split versions (compressor in different location than the horn shell itself… may allow horns to be up front and compressors out of sight)
Yeah I thought about between the forks but that would only be for one horn. I want to keep both horned relatively close to each other and of course the compressors have to be relatively close as well. Tank is a no-go. I have the split version and I will be ordering the second one soon. Other options for the horn could be possibly hanging from hangers on the oil cooler or maybe on the inside of the fairing near the engine but the heat might kill the horns not sure, and don't need the fender banging into the horns… so for now it seems the only viable option would be placing each horn on the vents on the tail section. Forget to grab rail! And I want them concealed. The only boob is Beetle bags may slightly dampen sound somewhat, when installed.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There's the Stebel Magnum 139dB horns. They are supposed to be more compact. I've not got experience of them but may be worth investigating.

I did however have them on my list until I managed to squeezer both my Stebel Nautilus and chinese knock off into the carbie nose cone.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Stebel Magnum works well enough for me. I actually have it tucked away under the seat, and its still loud enough to scare folks. I originally had one replacing the OEM horn at front, until a spectacularly potholed road introduced my front mudguard to it, causing both to shatter, along with my nerves.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts