Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELLO FELLOW FIGHTER PILOTS!

Here, I will post before and after pics of electrical and mechanical upgrades.

PLEASE NOTE: I will try my best to keep all related pictures on page one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So...OEM Honda left loom/switchgear to Bandit conversion upgrade complete! Thanks mostly to Malo! The Bandit 1250 OEM left switchgear has two functions that Honda OEM switchgear doesn't have. "Hazards" button & "Pass" button. Very useful items!

9 Honda wires to 9 Bandit wiring plan. 3DRL wires are removed from the Honda loom. DRL wires on the Bird side are connected together. For this setup to work would also require "switchback" LEDs to complete the job.
DSC_0035.JPG

CBR1100XX 00' wiring diagram, 9wires(minus 3DRL wires
Orange/White, Light Blue(SB-Sky Blue)/White and Black/Grey)
DSC_0072.JPG

1250 Bandit wiring diagram, 9wires.
DSC_0071.JPG

Original Honda OEM left switchgear.
DSC_0078.JPG

Honda loom
DSC_0038.JPG

Original Bandit OEM left switchgear and loom.
DSC_0060.JPG

Bandit OEM left switchgear
DSC_0080.JPG

Bandit OEM left switchgear with Honda loom complete.
DSC_0081.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
I did the same thing with the same Suzuki switchgear. One additional item of note: out of an abundance of caution, I added 2 wires to this switch loom for a dedicated clutch switch circuit as the Honda incorporates the clutch circuit into the ECU and I didnt want any unwanted feedback. (y)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the same thing with the same Suzuki switchgear. One additional item of note: out of an abundance of caution, I added 2 wires to this switch loom for a dedicated clutch switch circuit as the Honda incorporates the clutch circuit into the ECU and I didnt want any unwanted feedback. (y)
Thank you Fiz. Actually you were the one who inspired me! From my first build. Thanks! As I have mentioned to Malo (who broke every thing down for me), electrical stuff is not my forte. Sorry Fiz! Can you please break this down? "I added 2 wires to this switch loom for a dedicated clutch switch circuit..." How would feedback occur? Thank you very much Fiz.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I don't know for sure that it would.

Looking at the blackbird (FI) wiring diagram, the clutch switch is part of the starter interrupt circuit and one wire goes to the ECU. I did not want the possibility of sending an unwanted 12V or ground to this circuit. That is why I added 2 new wires to the switch loom just for the clutch switch as the Suzuki switchgear combines the clutch switch with other functions.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
"Looking at the blackbird (FI) wiring diagram, the clutch switch is part of the starter interrupt circuit and one wire goes to the ECU.(GOT IT!) I did not want the possibility of sending an unwanted 12V or ground to this circuit.(GOT IT!) That is why I added 2 new wires to the switch loom". This is the part that throws me. So you opened up the Bandit switchgear housing and soldered 2 additional wires? to the clutch B/W and B/Y?

In the pic you see Honda loom connected to Bandit loom 9=9 wires. Then you the two horn wires(Light G and Dark G) followed by the 2 clutch wires you can barely see on the left side of the main loom coming out of the housing.

·
Registered
949 Posts
No, I did not open up the Suzuki switchgear at all.
I cut off and taped up the 2 existing clutch switch pigtail connectors on the Suzuki loom. Then added 2 new wires to the outside of this loom (all 24" of it) and taped the whole length together. Soldered the cut off pigtails to these wires at the clutch end and soldered the other ends to the Honda multi pin at the other.

Again, I don't really know if this is necessary. It was done out of caution as I didnt want to risk damage to the ECU.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay! Gotcha!! Thank you very much for the pic. Explaines alot. From what I can tell U completely isolated the clutch wires. So maybe the bike will "start" in gear as opposed to having to put in neutral. MMmmm... I think I will stick with what I have. Worse case will cost $60 t0 $100 for used ECU. Thanks again Fiz.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Bike will not "start" in gear. Clutch interrupt circuit is as Honda ordained. Where I show "solder pigtails here", they are plugged into the clutch switch. The other ends are soldered to the appropriate wires on the Honda multi pin

Looking at the bandit wiring diagram you posted, it shows my analysis is wrong. When I did this years ago, I did not use the wiring diagrams, just a circuit tester and process of elimination to figure out what wires did what. Wiring diagram could be (slightly) wrong or my bandit switch (1250 bandit USA) possibly slightly different to Canadian?

If you can buy a used ECU for $60 to $100, then do it now, as a spare. I had to get one a few years ago, cost $250 US and was happy to pay it. They are getting harder to find all the time.
(y)

EDIT: if you are running a carby then forget everything I said. All my comments are for FI bikes only.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SO started working on spherical mirrors... Next, will instal of blue lights for flashing arrows.

Sph mir 1.JPG

sph mir 2.JPG

·
Registered
856 Posts
Lovin,

When I did mine I found any led on or near the dividing line across the mirror will shine through brighter. With hindsight I would avoid the line.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lovin,

When I did mine I found any led on or near the dividing line across the mirror will shine through brighter. With hindsight I would avoid the line.
View attachment 131510
Thank U Malo for the heads up! Will do. I guess you already thought of pulling it apart and "painting" over that line from the inside? Too much work? Not worth it? It's completely sealed?Can live with it? When I first saw it I figured it might be the lighting in the room or the angle.

·
Registered
856 Posts
These were my prototypes (two rows of leds that just blink on and off), the next set is the three row "flowing" set so unless I'm incredibly lucky for the holes to line up I may well be painting the back and redoing anyway. I tend not to get good results "re-silvering" when I've tried in the past but who knows.

My other complication is my heating elements on the back too. Trying to deconflit those wires with the LEDs… oh joy. Don't ask me why I'm bothering to heat them!

I figure I'll prob only fit them once I've concoured the "power folding wing mirror" project that's taking me forever to get off the drawing board!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gotcha! I'm going for two rows on/off. Never been crazy about flowing. Will post pics of progress. Thank again mate! can't wait to see folding mirrors!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Grill work...

New oil cooler grill.

Rivets failed. Piece needs to be welded back and holes in the grill...

New rad & grill

4 hours and 228 holes later...

LED headlight conversion. Thanks to Malo and ptxyz for their input.

I like the ring idea! But I wanted something that could lock in place at the right height.

Nubs required some filing down.

Although I did a horrible job at expanding the inner diameter of the tabbed ring, the overall fit is snug.

PICS CONTINUED ON PAGE 2...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts