Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the SMC out today to check and clean it due to rear brake drag. As evident in pics it was totally crud covered. Got it pretty clean with brake cleaner but still some under screen. How do younremove the screen?
One O- ring came out but the screen and casing with blue plastic seems imbedded in there. Don’t want to destroy the screen. Also noted the rubber boot had a small tear in it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Contevita, Sometimes these little jobs just shouldn’t be this difficult. I was baffled, this thing would not budge.. I finally soaked it in brake cleaner for and hour then sprayed a little PB blaster on. Got a small sewing pin from the wife and finally got the top screen off, and the rest of the pieces slowly followed. Totally covered in hardened brown colored rusty sludge and cleaned everything. Done for today now it’s time for MaErin…Marin…Marrrtin, screw it ..a 🍸

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
Ok so either you've had one to many before trying to type this post or you inhaled to much brake cleaner. Hope it's the first LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spot on, keep us posted if you can. I've just ordered the hel full brake line kit from jaws motorcycles. I got a smc rebuild kit last week in preparation for the swap.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brakes have been sketchy, so I took everything apart and cleaned the system. Bled and the rear two outer pistons would not budge. I removed the SCM, as I believed my problem was there. I found one on Fleabay and ordered , It arrived yesterday and I took it apart and cleaned it, it was almost new condition. Just installed it and bled the system again and everything is working properly. Time to ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's great when the brakes just work. I rebuilt my front calipers coincidentally today. Happy with how it went. Had to replace 3 pistons. It is worth getting new parts with these blackbirds rather than cleaning old stuff.

·
Administrator
12,898 Posts
It is worth getting new parts with these blackbirds rather than cleaning old stuff.
I'm happy to keep cleaning, still using my original 22 year old brake pistons that have seen +120K miles.
Keep on top of the preventative maintenance and new parts are seldom needed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm happy to keep cleaning, still using my original 22 year old brake pistons that have seen +120K miles.
Keep on top of the preventative maintenance and new parts are seldom needed.
I agree usually. I guess mine were neglected. It was the first brake fluid change in 17 years and 72000km. That's just terrifying.
Pitting and corosssion.

·
Administrator
12,898 Posts
Yes with a bike that has not been maintained well new bits are the way to go.
I'm 'lucky' I bought my 'Daily Bird' when it was only 9 months old so I have been responsible for everything for the last 21 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts