Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I had a problem with the Scott Oiler standard system that I had intalled. See http://www.cbrxx.com/general-cbr-xx-discussion/11013-ooooops-scott-oiler-mishap.html

Since I needed to replace it I purchase the Scott Oiler ESystem.
I am not going to cover specs of the unit but you can see them here

Placement

The unit has several mounting options, but I deceide I want to use the sleeve. Essentially I took the plastics off the bike and just tried to fit the resevoir and sleeve anywhere I thought it would fit.. I finally settled on the following location..

View attachment 16454 View attachment 16455

Note that I decided to use cable ties to mount the sleeve. You can obviously drill holes in the sleeve and subframe but i have a preference for only installations that can be removed at a later time without any visible signs remaining.

Next came planning and installing the oil and power lines..
View attachment 16463

I was a little concerned that the lines may at some stage be pulled tight and either cause a kink in the lines or pull them off the resevoir. Since this unit is electronic and not gravity fed either could result in alot of oil ending up where it shouldnt..

View attachment 16464

In the photo above you can see i have drilled a hole in the plastic taillight support bracket. I then fed the oil line through the hole and then cable tied the oil line on both side of the bracket so should pressure be placed on the line this point should prevent the lines being pulled from the resevoir

Next came the breather

View attachment 16465

Again a hole was drilled in the taillight support panel and the breather line fed from underneath the back back into the cavity where the resevoir is fitted..

The power and the oil lines were then fed back t the middle of the bike. The wiring from the Display and the battery terminal connection conveniently meet at the battery.

View attachment 16459 View attachment 16462

Next came mounting the Display unit on the bars. This was so simle and straight forward. I removed the lower retaining bolt on the clutch master cylinder and connected the mounting bracket to that point and then twisted the bracket to get the display in the orientation that i wanted.

View attachment 16457 View attachment 16458

The wiring was then fed under the tank and back to the battery..

Once power was connected the unit was then ready to prime.
This is done on one of the menus and it just runs the pump for 60 seconds for each press of the set button.. The process can be stopped by pressing the set button again..

View attachment 16461

Because I previously had the Scott oiler system 7 installed I still had the dual outlet installed on the bike.. Most people will I feel work out there own routing for the oil lines and how to mount the oil delivery unit so again I wont do into it here.. (unless someone specifically requests it..

Final photo.. View attachment 16466

If I have any concerns about this unit at all it is that it takes power directly from the battery and needs power all the time to maintain its settings.. The unit turns itelf on and off dependant on vibration detected by the 3 accelerometres inside the display.. I was able to get the display to light up by tapping the diplay...

Given the XX's charging system only time will tell if this is going to cause any problems for the XX.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've been using an eSystem on my CBR 600F and actually stipped it off today with a view to installing on my XX. I had a HCR installed behind the numberplate and this made the power cord only just long enough. How much slack did you have after your install?

I'm interested in the pipe routing too as I'd like to learn from other's experiences about the best path. I'll be using a dual injector too.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heisti, Scott oiler kits have a bottle of oil and a long tube with a small plastic nipple on the end. When the breather hose is removed you can insert the plastic nipple into the hole that remains and refill the resevoir. After filling is complete, you replace the breather.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I'm running the standard Scott Oiler on three machines,..a pair of CB-F's and the CBR-1100xx.

Couple of install pic's below. I'm planning to drill and tap the swing arm for the install of the duel injector mount and loose the tie wraps around the swing arm to clean up the install.

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm planning to drill and tap the swing arm for the install of the duel injector mount and loose the tie wraps around the swing arm to clean up the install.
Exactly what I did on my CBR600F. It's a much cleaner installation (you can't see anything to be honest!) and it's more secure than the cable ties. :thumb:

p.s. A 2mm (I think!!) drill and the supplied self tappers were fine. No need to tap.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Exactly what I did on my CBR600F. It's a much cleaner installation (you can't see anything to be honest!) and it's more secure than the cable ties. :thumb:

p.s. A 2mm (I think!!) drill and the supplied self tappers were fine. No need to tap.

Roger that...and thanks ScottyUK (a.k.a Paul).

Tony

(edit: completed to protect the guilty)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Ugly

Have just ordered the E-System and am wondering how you have found it since your install.Ease of use/reliability etc.

Thanks in advance

Womble

·
Registered
454 Posts
I installed mine a while back and am really glad I got one with the updated software. The difference is that you can adjust the sensitivity i.e. when it starts oiling.

I had my screen mounting bracket quite long to start with and the vibrations (and the exageration from the long mounting bracket) meant that I had it set to as least sensitive as possible....but then it still oiled when I'd prefer it not to. I've since shortented the bracket and not I have it a couple of settings higher than least sensitive and it functions perfectly. i.e. it stop's oiling when I'm doing less than 30mph.

I'll take some pics later as my mounting locations for the screen and oil resevoir are different to those posted in this thread so may give others ideas.

I did have an issue with the display in that the LCD failed but Scottoiler replaced it quickly....oh and in a moment of ham fistedness I pulled one pin out of the connector on the pump side but Scottoiler repaired it and send it back all free of charge. You get good service from those guys.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been very happy with the unit but like ScottyUK above had a problem with the display.. seems like the dont like high pressure washes.. Scottoiler replaced the unit and all happy again.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So here's my installation. I put the oil pump on the left hand side attached with cable ties. It's simple to refill and view the oil and the feed and breather are out the way.

Scottoiler_top.JPG

This next picture is taken from under the centre stand lifting handle. It doesn't get in the way of the handle at all but the fairing hole allow me to put my hands in and I can remove the oil pump without taking any body work off.

Scottoiler_bottom.JPG

My display is mounted on the right as I already have heated grips on the left. I found that the original bracket is too long and vibrates the screen also meaning it can oil at standstill. So I cut the bracket down and it's mounted on the clips ons bolt.

Scottoiler_display.JPG

My oil feed (dual injector) means that you virtually can't see it at all. I had cable ties on the swing arm to get it correct and then fixed it with two tiny self tapping screws.

Scottoiler_injector.JPG

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
The more I read about these Scott Oilers the more I realize how nice they would be to have with no more manual lubing, adding it to the winter list

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more I read about these Scott Oilers the more I realize how nice they would be to have with no more manual lubing, adding it to the winter list
If you get the esystem then you dont have to remember anything.. when riding in a sprited manner you can easily dial up the oil flow. it tells you when the resevoir is getting low.. even has a ambient temp gauge on it which i find very useful..

and considering it has about the same cost as a single chaing and effectively doubles the life of a new chain then it could be considered a free upgrade.... lol well maybe not..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts