Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2000 CBR blackbird 2 months ago. Had no idea birds ran hot, but the forum has been great on how to fix and get around these problems.

First thing first like most bird riders it runs hot in traffic and idling to and from lights in the city. I live in Colorado and ride very aggressively through the mountain towns. Its the lower speeds I have the most issue.

Bird already has:
1. Dual Micron Exhaust
2. Replaced Fuel Injector
3. Disconnected the FI Light cuz it kept coming on for no reason=

New Plans for this weekend for the bird:
1. Install a Manual Fan
2. Check the coolant to either change with Engine Ice or add Water Wetter
3. K&N Air Filter
4. Purchase a Power Commander III and fatten up each RPM to consume the max fuel

What else do you guys think I should do to help keep the bird running at lower temperatures when in the city or stopped????

·
Registered
48 Posts
Min hits 230s at a stop. And that is with engine ice. I just replaced the battery, maybe the fan will blow harder now

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does yours ever sputter at high temps....for example: coming up to a exit off the hwy and hitting the stop light a few moments go by the temp begins to climb and then as you start to take off there is some delay or sputtering with the engine? Like its not getting enough fuel and with the engine being so hot it wants to shut off and cool down?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
First, does it run properly. From cold you should see the engine warm up to about 184 indicated, then the thermostat opens, and it cools down to 172-174. The heat should build all the way up to 220 and the fans should kick on. The fans stay on till it goes below 215. A little throttle helps with the cooling.

Second, I also suggest you flush the cooling system. Engine Ice or Water Wetter are easy and inexpensive. I would go with one of those. Make sure you properly drain and fill the system. While you are in there, I would clean bugs and stones from the radiator. I use wood toothpicks and fix the bent fins too. I light flush with a hose from the engine side gets some sand and debris out.

With the stock system up to spec and some Water Wetter my temp stays below 200 if I'm moving in clean air. The Fans should cycle on/off in traffic. Reach down and turn up the idle to keep the coolant moving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine is flawless and the fluids have been flushed and rechecked by myself and my mechanic. Temperature rises normally, but i do not like how quickly it rises when it is in the city. Within about 10 - 15mins within the city limits the gauge is just under the red line; guessing temp is about 225F, but will go down as I give it throttle. It is a concern and hopefully will be obtained by this weekend with the manual fan switch and engine ice. Figure's crossed!!!!

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I support the use of Engine Ice. BackStreet is correct. If you have the dosh you could also consider Samco Silicon hoses. Be advised that the kit does not include the long right side hose. These changes and add ons should reduce the cooling issues. I think someone on the Board added a dual fan system. Engine Ice calls for a thorough flushing. Cisco has E-Ice as well as Samco hoses. We also have steel oil lines. I've only over heated twice in 10 years. Birds run hot! They don't like to sit stationary in heavy traffic in 90F temps, or above. Neither do the owners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question....Where can I find CBR1100XX Super Blackbird decals or stickers for the bike?

I plan on painting mine pearl white with blue and gold decals.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Quick question....Where can I find CBR1100XX Super Blackbird decals or stickers for the bike?

Your local dealer should be able to provide them

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine did this too it could be the air filter but they do run abuot 224 if it go too 231 it will shut the bike down it fixed mine with new air filter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last week I installed a manual switch to the fan and it works perfectly. Especially when you find yourself in traffic or stopped at lights on a hot summer day. Once my gauge is halfway I flip the switch on and the needle will actually drop down 5-10 degrees.

Next step is a Power Commander III with K&N high performance air intake.

·
Registered
69 Posts

I talked to a parts guy and was told if I got them from the dealer they may have been sitting in a warehouse for a few years, plus they would be about $50.00 each.
I had some made by a local painter who also did die cut graphics for less than $50.00 for both sides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts