Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if aftermarket exhaust hangs lower than stock?

I bought my '97 bird last June (18k now 21k) and it has aftermarket single exhaust. When I take hard right right turns my manifold runs. I just got back from a ride when I hit a dip in a turn and felt the bike bounce off the manifold.

I had a '98 bird (11k-22k) for 6 years with stock pipes and never remember rubbing on turns.

Thoughts?

15848320973311956593166358099623.jpg
15848321197185628812253545311678.jpg
15848321363338335639918199919644.jpg

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Does look like its hanging a bit lower than the stock. You haven't slipped the front fork tubes up in the triples have you. Also when wwas the front springs free length checked. They may be done.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No, but you make the exhaust look fat..lol I had that happen on all 3 of my FI XXs that I had. I also scraped the fairing on both sides as well as the left side stator cover. Most of the scrapes were from hitting dips deep into a corner at and around the "dragon". I'm guessing a soft-ish suspension, maybe not properly set up, along with hard cornering lean angles, are mostly to blame. But scrapes on the faring and melted chicken strips on the tires does look pretty "badass".

ominousone

·
Registered
221 Posts
No, but you make the exhaust look fat..lol I had that happen on all 3 of my FI XXs that I had. I also scraped the fairing on both sides as well as the left side stator cover, and scraped or ripped off the peg feelers. Most of the scrapes were from hitting dips deep into a corner at and around the "dragon". I'm guessing a soft-ish suspension, maybe not properly set up, along with hard cornering lean angles, are mostly to blame. But scrapes on the faring and melted chicken strips on the tires does look pretty "badass".

ominousone

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
So now that you know it can touch down guess you need to get farther off the seat :D

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Looks like the headers have been set at the wrong angle to me hence the melting of the fairing just before the join. If the headers are positioned correctly on most systems the mid pipe will fit up tight to the cut out in the sump. This can lead to slight melting of the lower edge of the fairing if a lot of care is not taken with the placement. Obviously all systems are different but here is an early fitment of mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To my
Does look like its hanging a bit lower than the stock. You haven't slipped the front fork tubes up in the triples have you. Also when wwas the front springs free length checked. They may be done.
To my knowledge nother has been done to the forks and I haven't had the springs checked since I got it 3k miles ago.

I was thinking I it could be suspension related but it could be a little of both suspension and low hanging pipes.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Betting it's more pipe placement unless previous owner was real light and went with an even lighter spring. I'd check static and rider sag to confirm. That'll take out that variable

·
Registered
168 Posts
compared to my stock manifold you are bout 1/2 lower and slightly to the right
as the manifold is packed close to the sump on the rhs its about the first thing to touch if you ride aggressively
as you cant alter the pipework the only thing to do is to lift the back end a bit to compensate

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes to all above...... it's a box style 4 into one collector so it's fatter than the flat oem style..... only option is to check/change springs and upgrade any tired suspension front and rear, and also look into fitting a 6mm spacer for the rear shockie top mount...... that'll give some vital ground clearance to help raise the 'square' shaped 4-1 collector up as high as possible.

(y)

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Yep like aussie suggests. Shim will help. Then when your hot footing them twisties make sure the crook of the outside knee in the turn is against the seat and your tail is out and down below the seat hanging in space. With your upper body forward towards the inner bar end. And RIP IT!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes to all above...... it's a box style 4 into one collector so it's fatter than the flat oem style..... only option is to check/change springs and upgrade any tired suspension front and rear, and also look into fitting a 6mm spacer for the rear shockie top mount...... that'll give some vital ground clearance to help raise the 'square' shaped 4-1 collector up as high as possible.

(y)
I always here it called a 4-1 header and was expecting a 4-1 like a V8 header. Where all 4 converge in to one big pipe, but looking up under there today it's more like 3 Y-pipes. And goes 4-2-1. Not sure if this is a brand thing or how all 4-1 bike headers are.

I can't remember how my '98 stock headers with dual exhaust looked.

I'm thinking suspension would be my easiest fix.
Yep do you get offseat?
I don't think so. I go one side or the other to lean but I'm still sitting. I'll check it out on utube. I'm 220lbs and lover my bird because it's big and when I'm doing twistys I throw my weigh left to right to get that beast to turn.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Yep then you need to air out that touche lol. 2 benefits gets your tail cooled not really lol.
Big one is that you allow the bike to be a bit more upright. It seems counter productive to cornering but what can and will happen is you can actually lean the bike over far enough and run off the edge of the tire. Your larger frame may be saving because your able to deform the tire more. But that's a risky proposition at best one of these times it's not gonna squish out the right amount and then your low siding. That really is no fun at all trust me. It's also eeexxxxxxpppeennnsvive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked that the rear suspension link has not been rotated to lower the bike by a PO, I tried it on mine and kept hitting the exhaust so put it back up.
Standard position is the arrow on the triangular link pointing towards the front of the bike when viewed from the left hand side, if its been changed the arrow will point upwards.

·
Daniel
14 Posts

I bought my '97 bird last June (18k now 21k) and it has aftermarket single exhaust. When I take hard right right turns my manifold runs. I just got back from a ride when I hit a dip in a turn and felt the bike bounce off the manifold.

I had a '98 bird (11k-22k) for 6 years with stock pipes and never remember rubbing on turns.

Thoughts?

View attachment 129009 View attachment 129010 View attachment 129011

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

·
Daniel
14 Posts
Hi,
Is this a 4 into 1 pipe ? if it is, was your previous bike a double pipe, that could be the difference, I can't see on the photo if this is a 4 into 1 pipe.
The original 4 into 2 pipe is really tucked in, a 4 into 1 is off centre, that is why it only catches on the one side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts