Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had R/R failures on a '99 VFR 800, '00 VTR 1000, and on my current '00 Blackbird (failure at about 20k miles). All were replaced with OEM finned units (with motherboard fans attached). Presently, 2 days after a 200 mile ride, my battery was flat; should have been fully charged after the ride. After being re-charged for a day on trickle, voltmeter showed 12.3 with no increase on revving. Naturally, the R/R is suspect. Relevant posts mention the Yamaha R1 and Shindengen R/Rs as preferred replacements; what's the consensus? If the R/R has indeed, failed (I haven't yet had the whole system checked), does anybody have a good supplier to recommend?

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
Stateside I highly recommend Rick's Motorsport Electric's. Years ago I went down this road with him to see if there was a solution. I live in the desert and ambient are typically north of 90 degrees year round. In some parts of the year even at night.
The results were after working with his engineer that the BB system is at it's max due to design space available. MOSFET R/R's were in their infancy at the time. But he did state that the addition of it did greatly increase Stator life. I've ran one since and pretty much doubled my stator life.
I would also highly recommend Jack's Roadstercycles for the R/R. He's the one I found that I consider the starting supplier in the states. His product is guaranteed 100% Legitimate no knock off. At that time he only supplied the R/R when I met him. He now sells complete no fuss installation kits as well.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
Walk through the charts on the links 1/2 down this page in red.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walk through the charts on the links 1/2 down this page in red.

Thanks again, Beestoys; the technical information looks comprehensive, to my untrained eye. My expertise stops at checking voltage output; I'll leave the system check to somebody with appropriate training and experience.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
Thanks again, Beestoys; the technical information looks comprehensive, to my untrained eye. My expertise stops at checking voltage output; I'll leave the system check to somebody with appropriate training and experience.
If you have a voltmeter it's actually very simple. Just remember to switch to AC volts when checking the Stator output.

·
Administrator
12,983 Posts
Bees is right, very simple to test the stator ................ and if your bike is inj then this is more often than not the problem (with carbies it was the R/R)
I would also highly recommend Jack's Roadstercycles for the R/R.
So would I and I'm in the UK. Having fitted the FH012AA my bike has lost its appetite for stators ............ which is really good!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've had R/R failures on a '99 VFR 800, '00 VTR 1000, and on my current '00 Blackbird (failure at about 20k miles). All were replaced with OEM finned units (with motherboard fans attached). Presently, 2 days after a 200 mile ride, my battery was flat; should have been fully charged after the ride. After being re-charged for a day on trickle, voltmeter showed 12.3 with no increase on revving. Naturally, the R/R is suspect. Relevant posts mention the Yamaha R1 and Shindengen R/Rs as preferred replacements; what's the consensus? If the R/R has indeed, failed (I haven't yet had the whole system checked), does anybody have a good supplier to recommend?

Cheers JBN,

It's vital you test the alternator as it may be failing and taking R/R's down with it. Tired batteries that test ok because they have been on a charger will also cause regulators to over heat. Also the charging system might be overcharging and killing batteries.

Good luck, my charging system is still original 2005. I simply put a new battery in every 2-3 years when they drop below 9.5v while doing a cold cranking test on a multimeter.

(y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ta, Dave-- -- You replace a battery every 2 to 3 years? I've had my BB for about 20 years and don't recall the number of battery replacements, but it can't be more than 4; i.e. average battery life of at least 5 years? Does that sound right? If so, am I hanging on to my batteries too long? Sounds like I need to add that cold cranking test to my maintenance schedule. Thanks for the insight.

Jim

·
Registered
566 Posts
Cheers JBN,

Yes, when I was riding the BB everyday, to work and then on weekenders......a battery has life span of start cycles, and using a charger all the time gives a false voltage test result.

The only way to test the health of a battery is to park the bike overnight, no charger attached, then 12hrs later hook up a multimeter. A healthy battery should read above 12v before key on, then 11.5 or so, and above 9.5v cranking (= "cold cranking test"), and 14.3v when the bird fast idles. A rev to 5k (ouch) tests for overcharging (14.5v is spec). If you have these numbers the battery and charging system is good.......

Now my batteries last year's longer as I don't ride my BB much, probably doing more miles on monthly run ups to full temp and turning the gearbox over and pumping the brakes than seeing road action.

As the others have posted, there may be a fault in the stator coil, mine failed at 70k KMs (about 45k miles) and I had it rewound with heavier gauge wire. Luckily it only drained the battery at the time, and the R/R was undamaged, and the battery was fine after a good charge.

Updating to the modern MOSFET is a great idea as that means the BB will be charging from idle, not like standard where it only charges from above idle.

There are articles in the resources section from electrical wizards that explain why ailing batteries, or stators cause R/Rs to overheat and fail. I guess mine has been spared that issue because I test regularly and also investigate whenever I notice a slow start up while out riding (a sure sign of an ageing battery not able to accept a full charge, or a charging system fault).

(y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Dave, for this useful discussion. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to follow up on all the advice I've been offered as I'm now Covid-quaranteened. C'est la crap.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry to hear the bug has got you!

I had a dose of it back at Easter time in April which killed the 4 day weekend and the following week.... luckily the COVID variant I had was only very mild (body aches, headache, tiredness), and not the nasty stuff that buys a bed in hospital. I am triple dosed so that probably helped.

I hope you get well quickly, but although I was out of quarantine in 10 days, it still made me tired for a few weeks if I overdid any physical activity, like putting the forks back into my Ducati and fitting the wheels....😉....had to leave it in bits till I felt strong enough to finish off.

Aus is facing a big wave of infection as we are living a bit too dangerously not wearing masks and going to big events etc......our politicians are too frightened to bring mandatory masks back to slow the coming spread......I've just had 3 days of a runny nose & sore throat virus so I'm not looking forward to more downtime if COVID-19 hits us again 😡

Hang in there 👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear the bug has got you!

I had a dose of it back at Easter time in April which killed the 4 day weekend and the following week.... luckily the COVID variant I had was only very mild (body aches, headache, tiredness), and not the nasty stuff that buys a bed in hospital. I am triple dosed so that probably helped.

I hope you get well quickly, but although I was out of quarantine in 10 days, it still made me tired for a few weeks if I overdid any physical activity, like putting the forks back into my Ducati and fitting the wheels....😉....had to leave it in bits till I felt strong enough to finish off.

Aus is facing a big wave of infection as we are living a bit too dangerously not wearing masks and going to big events etc......our politicians are too frightened to bring mandatory masks back to slow the coming spread......I've just had 3 days of a runny nose & sore throat virus so I'm not looking forward to more downtime if COVID-19 hits us again 😡

Hang in there 👍
Thanks for the good wishes, Dave. Fortunately, my case was even more mild than yours-- if I hadn't needed testing as a cruise requirement, I'd never have known I was infected. Our situation, politically and socially, sounds like yours. Masking and vaccination have been so politicized that stopping viral propagation is impossible.

Since I'm now off on a delayed holiday, I haven't had a chance yet to follow up on your advice. I see that your 'bird has quite a bunch of klicks; are they all under your butt or are you a subsequent owner? I also see that you have a Duc V4 and wonder how successfully it works as a modern Blackbird successor. I wish you luck at avoided another round of Covid.

·
Registered
566 Posts
G'day JBN,

Yes, all 130k KMs (wassat..81k miles?) are mine, and I had a new 02BB before the 05, put 54k KMs on it, trading up to the blue paint from beautiful black and not realising the 02 was only just run in :eek:....but the changeover deal was one of the best I ever got :D.

The V4MS is a great bike as it has radar cruise control and blind spot detection which I find very useful in today's BS traffic conditions......but it ain't no Blackbird!

I just had a new battery dropped in my 5yo Tucson and the young guy doing the job spotted my 'Ducati' neck Lanyon (it has a card on it in case I get scraped off the road and paramedics need to know my details)...... turned out he has a BB, modded to give 150hp on the dyno........he was interested in a Diavel, but I just told him "never sell your Bird".....

(y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, that's a lotta miles on bikes; I presume your bikes serve as basic transportation as well as entertainment. I guess most of Australia offers year-round riding conditions-- except maybe Alice Springs and environs. I was there a couple years ago and stepped off the plane into 44 degrees C. Dry heat or no, that's freakin' hot.

In checking online, I find that horsepower claims vary from 136 to 164, without specifying whether that's output shaft or rear wheel. However, whatever the number, the BB's got more power than my old bones will ever use; surviving into advanced age teaches restraint. I'm not embarrassed to admit that it's more bike than i am rider. But I'll probably keep it even past the point when I can wheel it around the garage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts