Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Submitted by: flasher2001

Replacing both sets of (large) stock turn signal bulbs with the smaller bulbs that are in most aftermarket signals creates a change in the circuit current, which causes an abnormally fast flash rate.

EXTENSIVE research by my uncle Kris & myself (with help from Ohm's Law) showed which resistor would work without creating too much heat.

I placed a 50ohm 10watt resistor in parallel with each bulb to correct the flash rate. (See diagram) You will have to play with different amounts to get the blink rate where you want it.

Radio Shack has the resistors (271-333) for about a buck.

Other pictures show a "package" of resistors ready to be wired in.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
What does "bumb" mean?

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Although this fix is do-able and makes perfect sense,..would not wiring in a replacement electronic flasher unit in lieu of the stock flasher unit solve the problem also? There may be a connective plug issue to re-solve with the electronic flasher unit I think. The electronic flash install is all contained under the seat at the main power/switch/flasher bus location. A fellow XX owner has already done this. In fact if your running the aftermarket intergrated taillight/turnsignal units they provide for this flasher change out. I think the off the shelf electronic flasher units can be had for about $10.00 or so.

Having said all of the above I've yet to do this flasher change out on my own XX. I changed the rear signals out for the install of the Hondaline Hardbags and the lower draw rate of the new signals have made the flash rate increase. It's not so bad that it bugs me to much, but I think I'll be changing the flasher unit out to give the near stock flash rate anyway...at some point.

Still a good option ConqSoft,..yet another way to skin a electrical cat if need be.

Tony

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is the diagram correct?
seems as if resistor should be in a series circurt not in parallel circuit
Yes, the diagram is correct. You would want to wire the resistor in series is you were trying to limit the current to the light bulb. Typically you would wire some sort of resistor in series with a diode to limit the current and prevent the diode from blowing. When you hook up smaller light bulbs that pull lower current, they throw off the flash rate because the flasher operates off current. So, when the smaller bulbs pull lower current, you wire a resistor in parallel to pull a higher total current (hopefully the same as the bigger bulb).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had figured that increasing resistance = increasing load also, same as reinserting the missing bulb ( after led on ground side ) as the led has very
low draw. but all makes sense now, that the way i thought will make LED dimer.
Thx.

·
Registered
520 Posts
6,8 Ohms 25Watt resistors work like a charm. I used a plug-and-play resistor with male/female connectors that clicks into the stock wiring. No soldering required. Not sure where they sell that particular brand (which I can't remember) outside of Norway though.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I just used a honda specific flasher unit from MOTRAX in my 97 bike.

Flashes the same regardless of bulbs used. (any mix of LED & Normal bulbs)

Along with the LED tail light it has reduced the electrical load on the bike to a very low level.

Indicators are now 2 watt total. ( old bulbs were 42 watt total )
tail light is 0.5 watt total ( old bulbs were 10 watt total )
stop lights are 2 watt total ( old bulbs were 42 watt total )

Just need the HID dip beam fitting to take another 20 watt out of the load.

·
Registered
109 Posts
6,8 Ohms 25Watt resistors work like a charm. I used a plug-and-play resistor with male/female connectors that clicks into the stock wiring. No soldering required. Not sure where they sell that particular brand (which I can't remember) outside of Norway though.
I recently fitted a pair of rear LED signals, having a big 25watt resistor chewing up power, a 15ohm 5 watt resistor in parallel (If you do the math, it only consumes approx. half the power the 6.8ohm resistor does) does a better job, although I'm still not comfortable with the heat that it does generate, the Motrax Flash Fixer seems like the go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you "Congsoft" for your info on the resistor hook-up. i been reading the info that came with the lights (led) and just seem so confusing. but your diagram answer alot of questions. thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 05 cbr 600 rr with leds front and rear that stay on solid or are flashing super fast to where it looks like they are solid. do i need to put a resistor in at every bulb or just one?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have an 05 cbr 600 rr with leds front and rear that stay on solid or are flashing super fast to where it looks like they are solid. do i need to put a resistor in at every bulb or just one?
Depending on what you want to spend or how much wiring you want to do - why not just replace your flasher relay with a MOTRAX flasher unit that doesn't care if you have bulbs or LED's. Simple plug and play solution.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
The flasher relay is a much better option than hot running resistors and are not expensive.
If you use correctly rated resistors thay should not get too hot. Warm yes, hot no.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts