Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently purchase this thing 2nd hand the first time I rode it into the night I noticed that the headlights seemed really weird. Comparing it to Epoc's bike we figured out the headlights were in fact back to front, someone had put the low beam connector on the high beam and vice versa. No big deal I swapped them back and all was well with the world.

Then I fried a battery.

Then I noticed the headlights were very bright in the day time clearly visible reflected in street signs in bright daylight

Then I noticed a large difference in brightness between idle and say 3K rpm

Then I blew another headlight bulb.

I measured the voltages and they did look OK (13.6 idle 14.1 @ 3k rpm) ...... but .......

I started to suspect I had a reg/rec staring on a downhill slide. I was throwing a bucket of money at it anyway so ordered a reg/rec as well.

WELL .... today I went to fit it and what an exercise in bastardtry, I couldn't believe it!

The manual shows the unit is under your left testicle as you ride, but in fact it is behind my right butt cheek with a massive harness hard wired into the reg/rec running through the sub-frame, under the battery box finally emerging through a tiny hole out the LHS where the manual says the reg/rec should be. The new unit has the same huge hard wired cable.

The problem is there is no way in hell those huge plugs are going through the tiny space under the battery box. The battery box is trapped in the sub-frame and isn't going anywhere, it later becomes the rear mudguard.

Has anyone replaced one like this before?

I'm thinking of cutting the plugs off the old reg/rec and running the new cable under the relays if there's room and not between the frame and the battery tray.

Does that sound like the go?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi....Have replaced many of the later reg/rec located in the r/h side of the tailpiece,The Harness will feed through after unclipping it underneath the wheel-arch,First glance it looks like it will not replace without a lot of dismantling but it will being carefull and is only a few minutes to do once the tailpiece is removed.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I just replaced mine and found the same thing. I took the pins out of both rr connectors and pulled the wiring thru. Then put the connectors back in the new one. Didn't take long at all.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Fair Dinkum.

Confusingly the parts fiches for 05 show it on the LHS as well although a different schematic & part number from a carbie.

Go figure ;o)

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
99 2K's were still left side transition happened in 01. Pull the pins if you don't want to pull the tray. Just be sure to mark them on a piece of paper to get them back in the right holes. Mr Honda has been known to change wire colors from one side of the connector to the other on occasions.

Reactions: Andrea

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I might give that a crack although looking last night when my frustration level was quite high, the pins didn't want to be pulled. The piece of plastic trapping them didn't want to bend back far enough to let go of the pins, I'll take a fresh look at it today.

The location of the three yellow wires doesn't matter though right? They can go back in any order?

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
OK I might give that a crack although looking last night when my frustration level was quite high, the pins didn't want to be pulled. The piece of plastic trapping them didn't want to bend back far enough to let go of the pins, I'll take a fresh look at it today.

The location of the three yellow wires doesn't matter though right? They can go back in any order?
Yep doesn't matter

Reactions: teef.au

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK job done, releasing the pins from the plug of the stator wires was a bit of an experience, but still by far the easiest way to get them through the space available. The rest of the job was pretty easy.

In the end I put a jeweller's screwdriver through both the back and the front of the stator wire plug to encourage the connectors to let of the stator wire plug. the rest was dead easy.

Coincidentally the battery strap which had been missing ever since I got the bike, dropped on the ground from somewhere in good condition so I don't have replace it.

Numbers are now 13.6C @ 1100rpm and 14.4V @ 3000rpm. Healthy.

Thanks for the help and suggestions as always.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Character building isn't it teef!! I've spat the dummy a couple of times recently! The joys of owning older models. Others may take that as meaning something else :eyebrows:

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
Well done teef.au, job done, healthy numbers :thumb:

....The Harness will feed through after unclipping it underneath the wheel-arch,.....
that is a 'top tip' for those that haven't discovered it.

Just for the record, carbies and 99-01 Birds had the reg/rec on the left. When the loom was quietly changed to 'solve' the corroding earth block the reg/rec followed it to the other side of the sub frame ..... but there is always an exception, I've seen one Bird with a LH reg/rec and the loom plug was on the right! There again I was in a Honda Dealer a few months ago and felt duty bound to ask why a 2000 Bird had Cat Cans fitted :smilebig:

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, I had just finished stuffing my self with Christmas pudding,just give me a minute to wipe my face.
Now were was i.

Teef mines on the left too,why because we drive on the right side of left.
Just strip the connections and clean them up then solder them together and shrink wrap them.
those readings seem okay.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry I couldn't respond earlier, I had just finished stuffing my self with Christmas pudding,just give me a minute to wipe my face.
Now were was i.

Teef mines on the left too,why because we drive on the right side of left.
Just strip the connections and clean them up then solder them together and shrink wrap them.
those readings seem okay.
Hi Bullit, would you go to that much trouble? if the loom plug is ok and the terminals are good as, then why would you cut and solder a perfectly good loom?

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Hi Bullit, would you go to that much trouble? if the loom plug is ok and the terminals are good as, then why would you cut and solder a perfectly good loom?
Mr Aus I mean connectors from stator to R/R not the loom.
Some of the aftermarket connections are not a tight fit and they might cause a slight ark when the become very hot over time, as happened to mine and may melt.
I have a few pics posted not long ago before and after.
If the loom block needs doing that's a different procedure,are we talking about the same thing
Q

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi....Have replaced many of the later reg/rec located in the r/h side of the tailpiece,The Harness will feed through after unclipping it underneath the wheel-arch,First glance it looks like it will not replace without a lot of dismantling but it will being carefull and is only a few minutes to do once the tailpiece is removed.
Well done teef.au, job done, healthy numbers :thumb:

that is a 'top tip' for those that haven't discovered it.
Yeah sorry roger the dodge, I don't mean to be disrespectful in any way but my experience was different to yours, there was not a hope in hell my plugs were going through that gap, even after unclipping it from underneath the wheel arch. Even with a lever and an unhealthy amount of pressure I was nowhere even close to fitting the plugs through. After I removed the plugs and taped the wires it was all still a snug fit. I'd love to see how it was done any other way.

Just my 0.02c

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mr Aus I mean connectors from stator to R/R not the loom.
Some of the aftermarket connections are not a tight fit and they might cause a slight ark when the become very hot over time, as happened to mine and may melt.
Yup this was one of the main reasons I got genuine. All loom plugs were clean, tight and looked healthy, something I was particularly looking for.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts