Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, first time posting here. I've got a 2005 CBR1100XX and the dreaded oil cooler lines rusted and leaked, so I got myself a HEL kit to replace the lines. Now removing the bolts from the engine, all four have snapped off :(

Does anyone know anyone who can remove these? I've done all the other work getting the bike back on the road but don't feel comfortable trying to drill these out. I've tried tapping them around to no avail. I've taken it to a local bike garage and they have had a 'light' go at it, but are not comfortable drilling them out incase they wreck the engine block.

Anyone know someone who's had this before and knows some tricks on it? I'm in Horsham in the UK but can transport the bike to wherever it would need to go. Also I can remove the engine if needed. The nosecone, fairing, exhaust headers, rad etc are all off at the moment as I was overhauling.

Martin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the thread doctor in to drill them out. He fitted the new AN fittings for the Hel lines while he was at it too with a little blue hylomar. Cost £150 all told.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am planning to do this tomorrow, the most feared 8mm bolts in the world. Sorry to hear they broke on you!

I was considering Alum or Nitric Acid to dissolve the steel if it happens, although I never heard of anyone doing it or how feasible it would be. It's used often elsewhere for steel in aluminium.

£150 would be a bargain from a pro.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than drilling the bolts out the guy said they could be spark eroded, which is what needs to be done to some titanium header bolts that some replace steel header bolts with cos they look pretty. When they snap they can't be drilled.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got the thread doctor in to drill them out. He fitted the new AN fittings for the Hel lines while he was at it too with a little blue hylomar. Cost £150 all told.
Hi Martypants,

Which thread dr did you use? My XX-V lines aren't in the best of shape so I'm anticipating a similar need and am in similar striking distance UK wise.

PM me details? I'd appreciate that.

Cheers Mallow1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

His name is Perryn Allen. He's done many many Blackbird oil cooler engine block port snapped bolts and in fact mine was one of three that he had on the books to do that week! Did mine on the Monday and had one in Kent on the Wednesday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts