Honda CBR XX Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
9,219 Posts
Looks like there are 2 types of push pins on the Bird, 6mm and 8mm, correct?

I can see there are some smaller and also bigger push pins ... about 25% are missing and about 20% are damaged, like this one ...

View attachment 132275
There's only 8mm but 2 different head styles. I also went to the ones I suggested because the bases are larger so the fit and hold better. There's a couple places you'll need do some creative trimming to make them fit. Nothing major. One location will require a side to be trimmed. And another will need the diameter reduced to fit. Besides the pin trimmimg on the one I mentioned above.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
As some of the old push pins were not tight (waiting for new ones to arrive) I have put a screw with a bit of Loctite, to better hold the air intakes (if that's the word), as pictured below.

With a push pin I felt that the air intakes can dislocate again and drop down, causing noise below the front light area, as previously ..

What do you think, is it good or a bad idea??

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
You have that much off you might as well swap to Good LED bulbs now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
As some of the old push pins were not tight (waiting for new ones to arrive) I have put a screw with a bit of Loctite, to better hold the air intakes (if that's the word), as pictured below.

With a push pin I felt that the air intakes can dislocate again and drop down, causing noise below the front light area, as previously ..

What do you think, is it good or a bad idea??

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
My pins are tight. When yours comes in if they are tight when fitted I would leave them in. If loose... you have the solution.

Reactions: kavallero

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
True, removing fairings is easy, but putting them back on is a different story, altogether ... one needs to be armed with patience and understanding of the parts involved.

V cowl is a real pain ...

After assembling and pulling down the complete fairings a few times, I learned a few things.

Hat down to the ones who designed and manufactured the plastics.

As I received a pack of 10 push pins (from UK) I can highly recommend replacing the existing push pins with the new ones. The new ones click and lock superbly, the old ones are weak.

My last issue is the harness in the photos below.
It wouldn't let me lock the last 2 pieces of the puzzle, no matter what. The harness runs between the 2 plastics!?!?

It doesn't have extra length that I can play with, but it's in the way of the 2 plastics, and wouldn't let me lock the 2.

Something is telling me that I will need to do it all over again ...

Your opinions please.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber

Looking from the top:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Rim Fender

This is how the other side looks like, no issues as there is no harness there ... it clicks nicely

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

Cheers all ...!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Hmmm..

Looking at this drawing from the manual, it appears that the harness should run on top of the left ram duct, not under ...?!

Would anyone know?

Photograph Product Rectangle Organism Font

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You are correct. Should be over not under.
There should be a bendable tab about 4" long screwed to the nose cone on the harness side roughly level with the upper headlight bulb which holds the harness in place. If you use this tab then everything else should fall into line.
I found it best if the nose cone left very loose, attach harness clip, then line up ducts as cone is pushed into place.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
There should be a bendable tab about 4" long screwed to the nose cone on the harness side roughly level with the upper headlight bulb which holds the harness in place. If you use this tab then everything else should fall into line.
I found it best if the nose cone left very loose, attach harness clip, then line up ducts as cone is pushed into place.

Thanks.

... meaning, I would need to take off at least the lower left fairings again, and maybe the nose cone.

I need to remove the left air ram - hopefully I can do it without completely removing the nose cone, and reinstalling the air ram, this time with the harness over the ram!

Aghhh .... what a pain!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)

I had to remove the nose cone as well.

Still wrestling with adjusting the ram ducts with the nose.

There is no bendable tub which holds the harness in place on my 2006 ...

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
There is actually a 'channel' on the outside of the ram air, perfect space for the harness ..

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Leg Hood

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I had to remove the nose cone as well.

Still wrestling with adjusting the ram ducts with the nose.

There is no bendable tub which holds the harness in place on my 2006 ...

View attachment 132318
Looked on all the part diagrams, UK and US and couldn't find this bendable tab. From memory, it was attached to the top left headlight screw. Anyway, glad you got everything back together.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,316 Posts
I struggled getting that harness in place and the realized that something else was wrong... the snorkels weren't in the correct position... we all learn through trial and error and by asking others!
There should have been a metal tab covered in black plastic to hold some large connectors in place up on the left side of the headlight assembly just below the bottom corner of the windshield.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
I struggled getting that harness in place and the realized that something else was wrong... the snorkels weren't in the correct position... we all learn through trial and error and by asking others!
There should have been a metal tab covered in black plastic to hold some large connectors in place up on the left side of the headlight assembly just below the bottom corner of the windshield.

If only the lips on the inside of the nose cone (that hold in place the snorkels) were double the length, everything would be easier ..!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts