Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever change the spring on the rear shock? I mean actually do it and not pay someone to do it

·
Registered
814 Posts
anyone ever change the spring on the rear shock? I mean actually do it and not pay someone to do it
Yes, I used the hose clamp method (a term I just made up) and is not OSHA approved.

1. secure unit in vice
2. Wind down preload as far as practical.
3. Loop a long hose clamp between 2nd from top coil and 2nd from bottom coil and tighten. Repeat for 3 or 4 more hose clamps radially around spring.
4. Carefully loosen preload until spring is loose.
To install
5. 4-5 hose clamps on new spring, gradually tighten each until spring fits with preload at biggest size.

Plan B
Utube has some safer methods using flat bar bolted into triangles and compressed using long threaded bars

Plan C
Buy proper compressor tool from internet store, cost c.$£25-50

Note, tools available from auto parts store too big.

Whatever you do BE CAREFUL.

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
Pull it off the bike mark measure the current preload. You might want to gently wire brush the threads and put anti seize on them before you start. Saves ruined threads and your knuckles. Spin both collars back untill the spring unloads pull the bottom mounting plate. Install the new spring and spin the preload back up.

·
Super Moderator
12,814 Posts
I used a ratchet strap ...... and then got the powder out.

·
Super Moderator
12,814 Posts
Ratchet strap? I am having difficulty imagining this...
Hold shock in vice. Wrap strap round spring. Fix other end to fixed point and tighten.

In reality you can get the locking rings off without compressing the spring but I would never recommend doing that, best to hold it in some way to stop anything firing out.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ive stripped 6 shocks in the last year and just have just undone the castellated nuts
Thay can be locked tight but in the end they always come undone

·
Registered
380 Posts
I saw a spring compressor kit in my local auto parts store recently....... ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,814 Posts
I saw a spring compressor kit in my local auto parts store recently.......
Most spring compressors (used on cars) won't work, you need one designed for bike springs but generally these are quite/very expensive. Since for most people this will be a one use purchase the expense cannot be justified.
Even though I have pulled a fair number of shocks apart I haven't spent the cash, ratchet straps work well for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts