Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my bird in for mot ( yearly health check) failed on rear brake not stopping very well, took it home cleaned pads pistons did move, souls the rear brake lock up on the road ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Did he load the secondary when he did the test. It has to be loaded to get the correct rear caliper reaction.

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts
My MOT tester and a good friend (retired Dept of Transport with a fine collection of bikes) wrote the MOT procedures for testing liked brakes, small world.
You can find the procedures here .
Daily Bird hasn't locked a rear wheel when being tested for the last 19 years and has passed every time, never locked it on the road either.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice schematic there very clear
Duck can you get a printed copy of the mot text procedure ?
That would prevent all test station off the wall decisions in the future ..
Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took rear pistons out of a spare calliper cleaned up they glide back in swapped with original which I can’t budge by hand , can only take it back and see what it reads now

·
Registered
456 Posts
Digressing slightly, you do realise that all MOTs in the UK were automatically extended by six months from March 31st because of this virus ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes unfortunately mine was out last October, only applies if you mot ran out after 30th March

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting. I was just going to ask a related question: I have my Bird up on the center stand, and after I put her in gear, no matter how hard I stand on the rear brake lever the wheel keeps turning, it doesn't even appear to slow down much. Problem?

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts
When you say you stand on the lever are you referring to the foot pedal? If you are then yes there is a problem. If you are referring to the hand lever then that has no effect until the bike is moving.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When you say you stand on the lever are you referring to the foot pedal? If you are then yes there is a problem. If you are referring to the hand lever then that has no effect until the bike is moving.
Yes sir, the foot pedal

·
Registered
363 Posts
The easiest way to extract the pistons it to remove the backing plate then pump them out
Have a set of brake hose clamps ready to cut the flow just as they exit so no bubbles get in the system
Then pop out the seals and see if they are swollen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just don’t get when applying pedal only centre piston works funny concept

1 - 20 of 31 Posts