Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TEDZXX
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to see if there is enough interest for Blackbird owners out there that might be interested in a radiator guard.

Please post up questions and thoughts. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Im interested but would like to know how its held in place..

I have seen some that are held on by wire and dont wish to go that route..

P.S. it seems to have a courser aspect than others I have seen.. How is the airflow.

·
TEDZXX
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spent a whole day making (final version)this guard and a 5 minute install after fairing removal after I finally figured it out.

Instructions

1) Remove your oil cooler bolts and push the oil cooler out.

2) Slide the guard up and level it at the bottom

3) The bottom hump is where you use a tie down cable to the bottom of the radiator bracket. Attach and trim excess.

4) Press your oil cooler back and re-install your oil cooler bolts

5) Put fairings on and you are done.

The oil cooler provides slight pressure on the guard to keep it snug and rattle free and the bottom cable tie prevents it from sliding down.

I have had this guard on my Bird for over a month now and have ridden in 95+ degree days with no issues. I do use distilled water and Water wetter though. You will probably see a 2-4 degree increase in temperature compared to no protection at all.

Courser I assume means simpler in which it is but the material used and being custom made makes up the difference and I think a good pricing point between 60-65 dollars will offset the higher dollar ones that you have probably looked at.

My business partner has sold over 100 of these for the FZ1 Gen 2 models just off the FZ1 forums alone and everyone thus far is pleased with the quality of our product and more people are inquiring about us making different models.

Im just trying to find out if there is some genuine interest first for Bird owners since I am a Bird owner and have the capability to make these for our bikes.

I will post up a few pics of this on my Bird tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I am definately interested..

By coarser.. I was referring to the thinkness of the material between the airholes.. which is why I asked about the airflow.. Much of my summer riding will be in temps of mid 30's Celcius and in cases above 40C

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mate they look great :thumb:. Are they available for both Carb & Injected models and in what finishes are they available in

·
Premium Member
5,896 Posts
Nice job, Teddles! If I didn't already have, I'd definetly be in!

·
TEDZXX
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mate they look great :thumb:. Are they available for both Carb & Injected models and in what finishes are they available in

Not sure about the carby models since the oil cooler is a different size compared to the fuelies and the part numbers are different according to OEM for the radiators. Too bad I dont know anyone with a carby model around here to check but Im guessing they will be different.

Colors available are gold and black. The gold is very similar to your front rotor color and sets it off nicely and black will provide the protection and stay low key for those of you who like the stock look.

As for heat, I live in central Texas (Austin area) where it gets pretty damn hot and with no issues on the Bird cooling wise. It got to 88 here today if that tells you anything. No cooling issues reported at all with the FZ1's as well.

I will be taking some pics in a few and loading them a little later on today.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Most excellent idea, Teddy. Have you figured out how to ship them without them getting bent?

·
TEDZXX
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most excellent idea, Teddy. Have you figured out how to ship them without them getting bent?
The material is pretty thick and does not bend easily and I am in the process of ordering packing materials and pack them the same way my business partner does so this shouldnt be an issue.

Here are a few pics with it installed on my Bird.

·
TEDZXX
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe the 60 dollar range will be the going price initially and honestly in my opinion are worth it.
Not much thought is given to our radiators and not realizing that they do need some protection especially for your high speed jaunts or riding with your buddies. If you dont believe me go take a look at your radiator now and see how it looks. Bent fins means blocked air flow and worse case catching a rock and there goes your 580 dollar radiator.

You can patch it and move on but then there is more air flow blockage from the repair.

I have personally taken out 4 other riders radiators and felt horrible about it and one of them was my business partner and this is how our idea was put in place. He started by putting one on the FZ1 forum and it took off and now he has asked me to join up with him and start making them for different bikes and of course the ole mighty Blackbird was first on my menu.

So here it is gents....everyones thoughts and views are much appreciated and I will give this thread and you guys time to think about it some more.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
How different is it from the one Jaws sells?

·
TEDZXX
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just checked out the one Jaws sells and they seem to be well made as well with the oil cooler cover included. Not enough information on them though and I dont know who makes them. I have pondered on the oil cooler too and looks like that this may be necessary to fabricate them as well. Has anyone purchased one of these? If so, how do they mount?

Our material is made of 20 gauge, 1/4 round holes on a 5/16 staggered pattern with a thick trim to clean up the edges and provide protection to the radiator and the guard itself plus made by a Bird owner so this may sway some of the members my way once I get them ready. :thumb:

·
TEDZXX
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be posting up pics of the Bird on our website soon.....stay tuned :freebird:

·
TEDZXX
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a set of Jaws Rad Guards fitted. The oil cooler guard is fitted the same way as the radiator - with stainless tiewire and heat resistant cable ties.

How was the install on these guards Nutter?

Well my buddy did it. Looks like we have a banner ad now on the FZ1 forum... Check it out. Its on the top right side. If you dont see it refresh your page

FZ1 Forum Community

1 - 15 of 15 Posts