Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, what usually causes the clutch rattle? Mine rattles hot or cold, until you depress the clutch lever. There are 2 needle bearings, one on the inside of the outer basket, and one at the clutch side of the pushrod. What usually causes the rattle? The judder spring or the bearings?

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
If you are talking about the classic 'rattle' then that can be caused by simple wear on the plates allowing the plates to move relative to one another (think also about weak springs here). This can be agrevated by wear (grooves) in the basket caused by the fingers on the plates.

Other noises I would describe more as knocking/rumbling and these are more likely to be caused by items you have highlighted.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Mine just rattles and it sounds like top end but the valves,chain etc have been checked and re-checked twice by three different licensed mechanics,so I think it has to do with the remaining balancer shafts that plug the case holes? I should tape it and post it up.
I've never really noticed a clutch rattle.Bearings seem to last forever,my basket is a bit worn.Have we noticed if the judder spring equipped carb models do this more than the non-judder f.i. models ? Just wondering.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I always thought this was just a Honda thing...... mine was doing it at 60,000 klms and it hasnt changed, seems to be exactly the same now at 110,000 klms. I also have a 750-four that does the same thing. I just chalk it up to as much a Honda gremlin as the reg-rec thing. Just my .02

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the noise came like that new, I'd never buy it lol. It's more or a grumble, I should have explained it better. Im going To find out what's causing it. I'm going to take the baskets out and see what's up!

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
If the noise came like that new, I'd never buy it lol. It's more or a grumble, I should have explained it better. Im going To find out what's causing it. I'm going to take the baskets out and see what's up!
Not a bad shout, but just before you do I presume your tickover is smoooooth and not too low this can often cause the grumblings (more usually knocking) to sound worse on a lot of bikes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got confused when you said tickover :) here in the states we call it idle speed. But I have my idle set about 1100.

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
Yep we call it idle speed as well but 1100 - 1150 is fine, just checking!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
If it's a carbie then out of balance carbs can cause a slight rattle ....

But if's a bad grumble then check the bearing that sits behind the clutch basket on the input shaft (big ball bearing you can't miss it) I know of 2 motors where these have failed ... (Bastoks is one and the other was on fleabay..) and I also suspect my original motor has this problem (It's on the bench waiting for me to start the rebuild;))

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you mean the needle bearing behind the clutch basket, or the input shaft on the actual trans itself? (roller bearing)

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
The big roller bearing on the input shaft. You need to split the cases to replace it if that has gone, but saying that it is the cheapest bearing in the whole engine :)

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
The clutch rattle on the bird, is caused by the little springs on the back of the outter clutch basket.
Over time, the get a mm or less shorter and they "rattle" inside their "nests".
The only way to cure this, is to open the unit up by removing the pressed pins, replace the springs and press somne new pins on.
The trouble with that is finding suitable springs and your "repair" will only be as good as the parts you find..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, what usually causes the clutch rattle? Mine rattles hot or cold, until you depress the clutch lever. There are 2 needle bearings, one on the inside of the outer basket, and one at the clutch side of the pushrod. What usually causes the rattle? The judder spring or the bearings?
Hi is any body here replace needle bearing i v got same problem thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are talking about the classic 'rattle' then that can be caused by simple wear on the plates allowing the plates to move relative to one another (think also about weak springs here). This can be agrevated by wear (grooves) in the basket caused by the fingers on the plates.

Other noises I would describe more as knocking/rumbling and these are more likely to be caused by items you have highlighted.
Mine has had that rattle since 31,000 miles (now on 42,000) but only when it was cold. I dismantled the clutch, plates okay, bearings okay basket showed some wear but I didn't think it worth the cost to replace it. New heavy duty springs lessened the rattle but didn't cure it completely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts