Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Question - riding without the lower cowls

4K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Pugwash 
#1 · (Edited)
Lately I’ve been hooning around on the Bird without the lower cowls? The nose cone and every other panel is still in place just not the 2 large lower sides and the inner half cowl (i.e., the 2 side fairings and the y piece).
Do you think this is okay? Or, could I be damaging stuff?

Thanks for you help 😀

#3 ·
Thanks very much for helping again Bees 👍😁

Just double checking now…
Is the nose and upper panels all well supported by the main upper stay fairing bracket and the various other pushpins and bolts? Therefore not reliant on the lower cowls for stability or support? I ask again, as I seem to remember AussieDave saying that when he rides naked like I describe above, that he attaches cable ties somewhere. If what you say is true, why do you think he does this?

#4 ·
Yes the upper cowling is supported by the mirror mounts. But unfortunately the rest hangs out in the wind. Hence folks buying lower half panels that tie the lower sections down. Web bike Japan has some pieces check then out.

#6 · (Edited)
G'day all,

I still have my BB in semi naked trim - but I haven't done much riding. When I do, I notice the extra flex in the mirrors and screen because the nose cone is not fully stabilized. This can't be good for plastics in the long term, so the cheapest and easiest way to support the upper fairing is with cable ties.

The picture I have shows my quick fix mini support panel, but it uses the same two holes I previously ran two zip ties each hole to remove most (but not all) of the wobbles for summer riding.

The best way is to use the side cowls as designed by Honda, but for smooth roads like commuting to work, or for a short period while servicing the BB, a couple of zip ties per hole, down to the oil cooler brackets and down to the cowl screw used to secure the side cowl, will preserve structural integrity...... but not permanently ;)

I had every intention of putting my cowls back on early in the year but haven't ridden the BB much or was otherwise distracted, and now it's coming into full summer AGAIN..... :(

That's my excuse anyway..... I know, shame on me for not spending more time on the road with my lovely BB... especially after overhauling the coolant/brake fluids/FPR/oil & filter/plugs and treating rust + sealing the tank late last year..... I have ridden it recently though..... to the servo to fill it up.... does that count? :D..... that's how I was reminded to screw the side cowls back on for longer rides on our bumpy crappy roads (y)

PS The flaw with my design is that the upper fairing still flexes in/out at the mid section (where the brown triangle apexes to that mid panel screw). I think i ended up using a zip tie to reinforce that part to the oil cooler bracket as I couldn't figure out a way to brace it to the frame or across to the other side. It was a lot of work, but provided relief during covid restrictions..... although I doubt the BB runs much cooler anyway as they are designed to run warmer than most think they should.....

Attachments

#9 ·
Thanks for the help with this.
I am somewhat relieved that I’m not stressing components out too much riding around half naked 🤣
I will be glad to get the bike back together soon. I’m just waiting for some paint to cure on the inner half cowl which has just been redone. Thanks again for the help, it’s warmly appreciated.

#10 ·
If thats the bottom V shaped front facing cowl Nato, I painted mine with flat black textured underbody paint. Looks great and voila no chips.

#14 ·
:D..... had a nice afternoon cleaning up my mess in the garage and then running the BB up to full temp and working the gearbox and brakes etc etc..... I know, should'a, could'a, would'a..... but I didn't feel like getting suited up for a short ride today.

So here is a pic of my infamous 'zip tie' upper fairing support that I use to reinforce against excessive wobble and shake while riding semi naked (without lower cowls :devilish:) on our less than smooth suburban roads.

There are three each side, and I used to have another three in the rear holes (nearest my knee) using the cowl screw as the anchor point, but the small brace I made from scrap material does that job now. The ones in the pic were added to help to stabilize the center of the fairing panel from flexing in and out...... the original lower cowls do that job very well as they are well braced on many points, but this works ok as a short term thing. I wouldn't ride long distances like this as roads can become very rough, but commuting to work or a service would not do any long term damage.

(y) Sorry it took a while to get the pic...... I had to dig the BB out from under a pile of 'stuff' to gain access for my monthly run up and check over.

Attachments

#23 ·
Lately I’ve been hooning around on the Bird without the lower cowls? The nose cone and every other panel is still in place just not the 2 large lower sides and the inner half cowl (i.e., the 2 side fairings and the y piece).
Do you think this is okay? Or, could I be damaging stuff?

Thanks for you help [emoji3]
You can buy mini fairing bottoms from WeBike in Japan like these ones. Maybe these will support the nose cone? Plus it would make it look more finished?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I just made enquiry with them about the magical racing one and they said its only up to 1999 model.

Reactions: Nato
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.