Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was looking at the APE site to order a manual CCT and ran into a dilemma. I see that the standard one fits both the F4i and the XX. Does the Pro model also fit the XX? If so, which one should I order? What's the difference? Other than the obvious physical appearance.

Auto part Screw Tool accessory Axle part Plumbing fitting Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Manual is the way to go, saves cost over time for sure , before buying a new oem unit I will go manual if I need another

·
Registered
65 Posts
The pro model fits the XX, I installed it myself about 1 month ago and put about 1000 miles on it. It is great. The only advice I would add is to take of the pulse cover to have complete access to the cam chain for perfect adjustment.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went ahead and just ordered the standard HT900 for now (money..ugh). Hopefully will have it soon as I noticed that some previous owner apparently jerry-rigged the OEM CCT. It works for now but need to change it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm gonna install mine APE over the weekend.

Question: Do you have to get the motor to TDC, or anything like that?
Shop manual for regular cct replacement never mentions any extra work - just remove old, install new... I wouldn't want to risk the chain skipping a tooth...

Is it just a swap (and adjust by the feel/ear)?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna install mine APE over the weekend.

Question: Do you have to get the motor to TDC, or anything like that?
Shop manual for regular cct replacement never mentions any extra work - just remove old, install new... I wouldn't want to risk the chain skipping a tooth...

Is it just a swap (and adjust by the feel/ear)?
From what I understand, you remove the old one. Bolt in new one with gasket. Tighten until it reaches cam chain guide/tensioner. Then back off 1/4 turn. Instructions are here ---> APE Manual CCT Instructions

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, and jam it up tight. My question is do you have to rotate the motor while installing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man, nothing but crickets here :)

I just installed mine, didn't rotate the motor.
I hand tightened (not too tight), started the motor, tightened a bit more to get rid of even the trace of rattle... then another 1/4 turn... Didn't want to go past that point, so I don't think there's any whine... I think I did OK.

It is tricky to know - mine never rattled at idle, only around 4,000 rpm - I'm gonna test ride it and see. I guess it's not easy to get the "feel" for it, when doing it for the first time...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would already have mine installed except for the fact that the USPS is apparently too busy:sheepsex:. It showed up here in NC in Greensboro, then somehow got sent to Atlanta, and is finally back in Greensboro. Maybe I'll actually get it this week.....:soapbox:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've installed the CRUS tensioners on my birds and have had no issues with them at all. Adjusted on initial installation and haven't touched since on all of them. Used them on my XR dirt bikes also and similar results, so can highly recommend them. Just adjust the loading screw until the rattle disappears , set and forget :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Just arrived and know I can go APE sh_t!! Wish me luck,,,Im yanking bolts and flingin parts. That hose is in the way....just yank it!:smilebig:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts