Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I found this thread about using an Allen Key as a GPS Stem mount, but there are no images of Metzi's install and he seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth (I was trying to find info on his seat covers).

Has anybody done this install ?
How long should the Allen Key be to be secure in the stem?

Mitzis instructions, but he did not say how long the key should be. I know it's 12mm.

INSTRUCTIONS

Step 1. Find, steal or buy the apropriate allen key/wrench
Step 2. Using a cobalt or titanium coated drill bit; drill a hole on the shorter length of allen key/wrench
Step 3. Fit GPS mount to allen key/wrench.
Step 4. Go for a ride.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have this setup. Long side of Allen key is 5 inches. Used a clamp fit on short side for gps mount. Just sits in the stem, with a couple of turns of electrical tape to stop any rattle. Hasn't moved for 45000 kms.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have this setup. Long side of Allen key is 5 inches. Used a clamp fit on short side for gps mount. Just sits in the stem, with a couple of turns of electrical tape to stop any rattle. Hasn't moved for 45000 kms.
(y) (y) (y) Thanks. Those keys come longer than that and I just wasn't sure what to get.

·
Registered
'06 and '04 bird
62 Posts
@CalgaryBird
Sorry again for pricey and indirect info :LOL:

But I'm using this RAM mount stay and RAM mount system.
The stem nut stay is sold by a CNC works in Japan, used to be 4,400yen but soared up to 6,900yen today :cry:
Gas Machine Auto part Electric blue Metal
White Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Motorcycle accessories
Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design Vehicle Motorcycle

And another popular workaround way in Japan is using CBR600's hollow stem nut.

But this 12mm hex is nice quick tip. Simple, cheap and fun to DIY (y)

·
Registered
964 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@CalgaryBird
Sorry again for pricey and indirect info :LOL:

But I'm using this RAM mount stay and RAM mount system.
The stem nut stay is sold by a CNC works in Japan, used to be 4,400yen but soared up to 6,900yen today :cry:
View attachment 134043 View attachment 134040 View attachment 134041 View attachment 134042

And another popular workaround way in Japan is using CBR600's hollow stem nut.

But this 12mm hex is nice quick tip. Simple, cheap and fun to DIY (y)
Thanks Birds'. 6,900yen is US$50. The ball RAM mount posted by CBRDEANO seems like a better deal.

This 12mm hex mount fits directly in to the BB top nut without mods.

Thanks CBRDEANO. Seems like the neatest solution. I do have all the other RAM bits and pieces. Just the stem mount needs to be done.

BTW, how do you you guys remove the rubber plug in the well nut? Mine is really tight in there and I did not want to rip it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine just popped out - didn't feel like it was going to rip.
Perhaps spray some silicone lube on it if it feels stuck
Thanks. I will try that.

Just found the aliexpress skinflints version of that stem mount. Going to order it just for the heck of it. less than the cost of a Latte or a 12mm allen key!

·
Registered
'06 and '04 bird
62 Posts
Mine too, easy to pop out. If too rigid and sticky with nasty aging, prepare two slotted drivers with thin blades, and slide'em under the cap fin to lift it up.

And you won't need the cap if the new stem equipped :p

·
Registered
964 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure that will fit.

The one I posted has a HEX shape that fits the BB top nut perfectly ( under the rubber bung it is a hex hole )
Aluminum, so I figured that I could trim it as needed. As I said, I ordered it just for fun. US$4 vs $50 for the UK one.

Yours looks like quality. That seller has some neat mounting solutions in their store.

I presume that is an expansion fit that tightens by screwing the bolt in?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I tried one of these purpose made jobs, but it just came lose all the time, I think I also didnt like the position from memory.
I just mounted a ram mount behind the top pinch bolt on the fork leg, took a whole 40 seconds.

Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Reactions: pbz1900

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried one of these purpose made jobs, but it just came lose all the time, I think I also didnt like the position from memory.
I just mounted a ram mount behind the top pinch bolt on the fork leg, took a whole 40 seconds.

View attachment 134048
If you used the one sold by RAM the first time, everybody says that it is badly designed that does not work. Like the one in the link below. Pinch bolt solution is definitely simpler and faster. That's where I have my 12Volt outlet.
Thsi is the one that does not work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No , wasnt the Ram one , was something someone was making up ,designed with a expanding rubber piece to lock into the hex hole from memory.
I tried to fasten it other ways for a while, was hopeless
I use this one for a camera mainly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts