Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering if others have had troubles with tyre size and Pyramid Huggers...
I finally got around to a little spoiling and bought a Pyramid, during install it's rubbing the tyre (RHS is sitting on swingarm - then brake lines - then clamps)

Im running Michelin Pilot Road 3's (F&B), rear is 180/55/17.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated???
Cheers!

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I've had pyramid hugger from Jaws for many years. I've run the same tire/size, never had this issue. It sounds like your install is the problem. I've never had that problem on any tire I have run.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got a pyramid on my XX and my rear tire is a 190 50 no rubbing.
I did have to flex it over for the night after install.
I wedged a block of wood causing it to pull the other way. No problems since.
But I did have issues at the time of install.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
It can also be flexed successfully using a heat gun if its made of carbon fiber. Had to do that when I installed mine. Piece o' cake :)

Fly

"Speed is Life!"

·
Registered
268 Posts
I must say I was a bit dissapointed with the Pyramid hugger when I purchased mine from an Oz online retailer.
I thought it was going to be made from ABS plastic but was fibreglass.
Although the topside was nicely painted and presented the underside and edges were rough as guts, I ended up giving it 3 or 4 coats of black spray enamel to seal it.
It installed ok but some of the mount holes weren't quite the right angle, resulting in some twist and flex when tightened up.

The only problem I've had with rubbing was a result of the left rear mount (off the chain guard) breaking within a few months of install (as a result of the twist and flex above), this caused the hugger to jump around while riding and sit lower than it should. This has happend about 3 times since, resulting in various fixes and slight mods, the latest of which is working quite well. Cracks can also be seen forming around the left forward mount but it is holding up ok. It's been on for about 3 years now. I run stock 180/55 size tyre.
If it wasn't such an expensive piece I would have just scrapped it and replaced it with a different brand.

Sorry to hijack your thread BiliCro, just putting my personal experience out there for you and others that may be considering it. :thumb:

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
You can always replace if from Geelong Carbon Craft. An Auzzie Firm.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for fixes, Ive contacted the supplier and will wait for their response i guess! Its still rubbing so maybe they'll have another idea.
I shouldnt have to mod it, heat it etc.. Should be a custom fit and thats it!

Much appreciation.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also have one, and it was as close as you can get to the tire on the left side only. If you get no satisfaction from them and you have to modify it, here are some suggestions. You might have to slightly enlarge some of the mounting holes with a dremel to give just enough play to shift it away from the tire before tightening it down. You can also shim it away with some plastic washers underneath the hugger, between it and the swingarm mounting tabs. The hugger will flex and give just enough with these fixes to adjust for tire clearance. I agree that you shouldn't have to do this- and I also wish the Pyramid covered more of the chain run at the front, and more of the exposed shock linkages underneath the swingarm. Would have been that much more protective and practical, but hey, what do I know?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts