Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Guys,

I am new to CBRXX.com and hoping to find some assistance here as I plan to work on my own bike from now own. I have been to mechanics and every autoelectrician in this crummy two horse town and they seem to enjoy my wallet more then my bike. So I have a barely functioning Blackbird, and with South Africa's roads, it is sinful...

I have a few problems with my 98 blackbird, and will start with the biggest one.

The bike idles fine, revs up cleanly (a little backfire on decel) in neutral. However, when you are riding, only if you accelerate hard can you get through first, second and third. One cannot gently accelerate through the gears. If you attempt to, the bike almost sounds like it's bogging down. The bike can barely maintain it's speed and when it does, it sounds horific, a fair amount of spluttering. It's like the bike is breaking down under load. Recently my clocks just stopped working too.

If you put the headlights on, you have a bout 30 minutes of ride time before it comes to a dead stop. The bike continually drains the battery, i.e. if you do not ride it for two/three days, the battery will be dead. I have replaced the RR with an R1 RR and it seems to be giving the right voltage, the stator does not give a constant ohmage and changes from 1000ohm, to 0ohm. Taking that down today to get checked.

Does anybody have any other suggestions as to what could be causing this strange electrical fault?

Currently the dumbass mechanics put a 132 jet into the bike, and I uprated to a 137.5 (as an interim measure as that was the biggest available). I think I will be changing to a 148 outer and 145 inner jet as I have a full yoshi system on it. I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the bikes inability to maintain it's speed. It's horse power and torque for sure, but it's just not making sense. What size jet should I actually be using?!?

As well, does anybody know where i can get a choke lever and a kill switch. Mechanic stole the choke lever and the kill switch has died so it's kinda wired permanently on. I don't really want to purchase new control units as they are about $200 each here in South Africa, which annoys me. As well as generic blackbird mirrors, they are about $500 each here.

I know I may sound like a cheapskate, but so far I have spent close on $20 000 on this bike over 3 years and it's still not running right. As well as I had the bike sprayed and after coming back it wouldn't start, it would swing and sound like a tractor for a minute and die, mechanics came in and quoted between $500 - $2000 just to get it started (meanwhile, I got it running myself for $2, new HT leads)

Please help...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sounds like an electro-fuel combo issue..carbs are not only main jets and needles..you have to be sure that all the rest is working properly (diaphragms,pilot jets,fuel float level,needles if adjustable etc)...get your self an dynojet of factory kit which will compensate the approriate fuel changes to match your aftermarket exhaust..it is tested so you won't have to experiment on your carb jetting...about your electrical problems..you might have a short circuit somewhere unless your battery is ruined and slowly kills other parts of your circuit..check if your battery charges sufficiently and your regulator/rectifier performs good...

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
What Bullet said.
Also for the kill switch and choke lever, you can have a look on ebay. There are loads available there, going for cheap..
Mirrors are a bit harder to get, but they do pop in ebay once in a while...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, stator was checked and it's okay. Putting 150 jets in tomorrow with clip 3 down and screw 2.5 turns out. Diaphragms checked and good, pilot jets good, fuel floats good, needles clean. Hoping that that will sort out half of the problem.

I checked all the cabling end to end and all seems good though, no points short to ground.

@elvetost, ebay, so simple... found both units, going to transfer money into my mastercard and buy it in the morning, now just the month long wait for it to get here :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so the 150 jets are slapped in, she seems to start up better and rev a little bit better. She behaved a little better but the problem is still there.

I removed all the fuses, save the ign fuse, and removed all fairings and took it out for a ride.

I used RMStators guide to checking the charging system electrical and it all passed. I have checked and double checked the stator regulator and batter.

should I take a look at the wiring harness again and see if I can find a short? Also, my clocks have now officially died somehow...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, so the 150 jets are slapped in, she seems to start up better and rev a little bit better. She behaved a little better but the problem is still there.

I removed all the fuses, save the ign fuse, and removed all fairings and took it out for a ride.

I used RMStators guide to checking the charging system electrical and it all passed. I have checked and double checked the stator regulator and batter.

should I take a look at the wiring harness again and see if I can find a short? Also, my clocks have now officially died somehow...

Hi Guys, I have come across this exact problem. Its a electrical problem in the positive side of the wiring harness. Nothin fixable as its a honda fault on there joins. Nothin soldered just crimped together. I have replaced, ecu coils and regulator all to no effect until I rewired the whole bike from front to back, also created a new fuse box. Once I got proper positive power all problems gone. =D pics of new fuse box and standard honda positive power join.