Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Looking at a 1999 Blackbird this week. Any 'gotchas' I should be looking for, or any known issues I should ask about? Also, saw a shop manual written about but was unable to find a link to the PDF if anyone can help with that, it would also be appreciated.. Thank you,
Jerry

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Jerry
Things that come to mind. Charge at battery setting idle should be 13.2 to 13.5. 14.5 at 5k. makes sure she's warmed up first. Clutch rattle is normal if the idle is below 1000 rpm. Pull in the clutch lever if the rumble stops then a simple bump to 1200 should clear it. Cam chain tensioner will present itself bad at about 3k so roll it up and hold it if it's going you'll hear something akin to what sounds like marbles in a can. If you go to 4k it usually stops. 35.00 fix. Head stem bearings can notch the only way to check is to lift the front wheel off the ground to unload it. You can do this if it still has the center stand installed. Have someone push down on the back of the bike to raise the front. then slowly turn the bars lock to lock. They typically notch just at center or just off center. Check the oil for fuel smell if the FPR diaphragm tears it will flood the crankcase full of gas and take out the bottom end. If you smell fuel you can lift the tank and there is a small vaccum line attached the the side of the pot. it's the plain smaller line. pull that and look for signs of wetting. It should be dry if not the FPR is going or gone. Another sigh is low mileage from fuel light to fuel light. You should see in the neighborhood of 160 to 170 miles between fill ups. If it's way down like 100 or less either he's thrashing the piss out of it or it's leaking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry
Things that come to mind. Charge at battery setting idle should be 13.2 to 13.5. 14.5 at 5k. makes sure she's warmed up first. Clutch rattle is normal if the idle is below 1000 rpm. Pull in the clutch lever if the rumble stops then a simple bump to 1200 should clear it. Cam chain tensioner will present itself bad at about 3k so roll it up and hold it if it's going you'll hear something akin to what sounds like marbles in a can. If you go to 4k it usually stops. 35.00 fix. Head stem bearings can notch the only way to check is to lift the front wheel off the ground to unload it. You can do this if it still has the center stand installed. Have someone push down on the back of the bike to raise the front. then slowly turn the bars lock to lock. They typically notch just at center or just off center. Check the oil for fuel smell if the FPR diaphragm tears it will flood the crankcase full of gas and take out the bottom end. If you smell fuel you can lift the tank and there is a small vaccum line attached the the side of the pot. it's the plain smaller line. pull that and look for signs of wetting. It should be dry if not the FPR is going or gone. Another sigh is low mileage from fuel light to fuel light. You should see in the neighborhood of 160 to 170 miles between fill ups. If it's way down like 100 or less either he's thrashing the piss out of it or it's leaking.
Thank you for your suggestions and your help.
Jerry

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,752 Posts
If i was really serious about it I would take the tail cowl off and check the connections to the regulator rectifier and see if they are discolored from heat or even worse starting to deform.Check the chain and see if it is cleaned and adjusted properly. This will tell you two things. If it is really dirty and coated then the owner doesn't do basic easy maintenance on their motorcycle and if you look at the chain wear marker/sticker it might need a new chain. If you do your own that may not be to bad but at a dealer that will cost money. Checking a chain is easy if you have a tape measure with you. Check the date codes on the tires as they may look good but if they are over 6 yrs old they need to be changed. Google "How to check motorcycle tire date codes". These may sound like nit picks but on a 20 yr old bike that isn't worth a whole lot $150 or more for a chain, $300 or more for tires and money for a R/R and a battery can cut into your wallet. I use these type of things to bring the price more into reality as I explain a good bike with none of these problems is the price you are asking. it will cost me this much to fix all these so I am willing to offer this much... Emotion when buying anything usually ends up bad...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts