Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How do I adjust this set up? It has nipple for adjusting the psi and I believe the installer was lindemann engineering. It says race suspension on the bottle. Is this just a psi controlled shock or do I need to adjust it to a spring setting on the shock itself..Is anyone familiar with this set up? my bike has 8200 miles on it.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Do Not try to put air in that. It has a nitrogen charge of probably about 175 psi. that nob should control the compression dampening. There is most likely a collar on the base of the shock that controls your rebound. You count clicks from the fully seated condition when adjusting. Best to count the clicks now to fully seated and record them for future reference. Fully seated in both adjusters should be your max dampening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume the gold knob controls the dampening. Message received on the nitrogen charge so ill avoid messing with that. Though it may need to be serviced. Thanks for the response it is much appreciated and nice to know I have a good set up with the rear suspension at this point. Any way to tell if the front forks were changed as well?

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
About the only way to tell is by taking them apart. You can do an easy spring check. You'll have to support the front to unload the forks. I usually use a pit stand for the rear and a jack and 2X4 under the oil pan as far forward as possible. You won't have to lift the wheel just top out the forks. Then pull one cap and remove the Spacer check the end of the spring and see if there is a number etched on the face (flat) of it. If there is then it's been changed. Aftermarket springs typically have thier tension marked. It'll be a single or 2 digit number like 8, 8.5, 9 or 95. If you don't see a number it may be on the other end so you'll have to pull it to check. (be mindfull its going to have oil all over the bottom 1/2) so slide it out slowly and turn it counterclockwise. That should help keep the runoff in the tube.
Depending on your location I know a very good suspension guy that can rebuild the shock for a decent price. He services both my Ohlins and Nitron I run in my BB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info on the forks. Sounds easy enough but ill do that in the off season. I took a look at the rear spring and its marked as shown. I have yet to google the numbers. I’d bet the front was done as well. Right now she rides on the stiff side. Since the second owner did not know what he had here it is likely set with passenger riding in mind as the bike came with an extra corbin seat with a passenger backrest. I’m located in MN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I spoke to Ed Sorbo the now owner of Lindemann engineering who originally put the shock and reservoir on the bike. I’m pretty stoked about it. He explained the way to test the shock and now I need to figure out where the tension is set. Its a Penske shock and reservoir set up. I’m on the low end of the rider weight you mentioned. So maybe a rebuild is in the future.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
An 1100lb/in spring is correct for rider weights between 205-230lb. If you need some help getting that shock serviced and/or setup correctly please let me know!
Interesting you say that as back in 2006 when I replaced the standard shock with a 95 CBR900RR unit I did some researching and ended up with a 1100lb/in Eibach spring as shown by MotoXX as most of the sites I could find/contacted advised me that it was around the right range given my then weight of ~130kg's (286lb's) and is fitted on a FB shock in an XX 🤔
Even now looking at the Racetech site for a 130kg rider (street rider etc) it says that it should be a 21.54 kg/mm (1206lb/in) spring on an XX and a 20.04 kg/mm (1122lb/in) spring on a 95 CBR900RR :unsure: Using it felt quite good to me especially when I had a pillion ;)

Forward to 2016 and my Wilbers is stamped 59/59-190-65 and I believe the 190 is 190N/mm = 1085Lb/in yet my weight was ~145kg's (320lb's) at the time so the spring rate has gone down o_O

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting you say that as back in 2006 when I replaced the standard shock with a 95 CBR900RR unit I did some researching and ended up with a 1100lb/in Eibach spring as shown by MotoXX as most of the sites I could find/contacted advised me that it was around the right range given my then weight of ~130kg's (286lb's) and is fitted on a FB shock in an XX 🤔
Even now looking at the Racetech site for a 130kg rider (street rider etc) it says that it should be a 21.54 kg/mm (1206lb/in) spring on an XX and a 20.04 kg/mm (1122lb/in) spring on a 95 CBR900RR :unsure: Using it felt quite good to me especially when I had a pillion ;)

Forward to 2016 and my Wilbers is stamped 59/59-190-65 and I believe the 190 is 190N/mm = 1085Lb/in yet my weight was ~145kg's (320lb's) at the time so the spring rate has gone down o_O
I can't speak for my competitor's, but the calculations I perform to determine the correct spring rate utilize detailed engineering formulas. It takes a mix of technical understanding and practical know-how to specify spring rate correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts