Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Gents, after just days before bragging how I have never had a failure with the Bird up to 54k miles, I went to my garage to give the bikes a good going through before a ride with wifey and I spotted drops on the floor which upon inspection of the bike was definitely fuel ?
I pulled the seat and raised the tank ip and bent myself in half like a circus performer and saw fuel dripping from the petcock assembly.
Called everyone within 250 miles and found nothing, but Everett motorsports on the Westside near Seattle had a rebuild kit for $42 shipped and he got it out within the hour on Friday after 4pm ?
Exemplary customer service, some hoses were a bit dry and cracked on the venting side of things so hoping the pics I found on here and the ones I took during disassembly will get her back properly.
Anyway a couple pics of what was in the kit and a part number for reference hopefully will help someone in the future as this assembly is NOT Bird specific.
Cheers Gentlemen ?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well Gents, after just days before bragging how I have never had a failure with the Bird up to 54k miles, I went to my garage to give the bikes a good going through before a ride with wifey and I spotted drops on the floor which upon inspection of the bike was definitely fuel ?
I pulled the seat and raised the tank ip and bent myself in half like a circus performer and saw fuel dripping from the petcock assembly.
Called everyone within 250 miles and found nothing, but Everett motorsports on the Westside near Seattle had a rebuild kit for $42 shipped and he got it out within the hour on Friday after 4pm ?
Exemplary customer service, some hoses were a bit dry and cracked on the venting side of things so hoping the pics I found on here and the ones I took during disassembly will get her back properly.
Anyway a couple pics of what was in the kit and a part number for reference hopefully will help someone in the future as this assembly is NOT Bird specific.
Cheers Gentlemen ?
The white plastic disc seems to be chipped. Maybe you could use the old one from the petcock you are replacing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys, I have been trying to troubleshoot a problem with my 98 bird. I am wondering if the fuel selector petcock is a common problem on these bikes. I have been troubleshooting what appears to be a fuel problem (carburated model). I can't seem to confirm fuel flow with a mighty vac connected to the petcock vacuum connection, i'm not sure if I have been using the right amount of vacuum when I am testing it....getting very inconsistent results, mostly no flow.

Anyway I pulled the trigger and ordered a complete new assy. ($207) ouch!

Anyone else have a similar problem? I hope I didn't waste my $'s... I guess I will find out when I change it out and put everything back together...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, I have been trying to troubleshoot a problem with my 98 bird. I am wondering if the fuel selector petcock is a common problem on these bikes. I have been troubleshooting what appears to be a fuel problem (carburated model). I can't seem to confirm fuel flow with a mighty vac connected to the petcock vacuum connection, i'm not sure if I have been using the right amount of vacuum when I am testing it....getting very inconsistent results, mostly no flow.

Anyone else have a similar problem? I hope I didn't waste my $'s... I guess I will find out when I change it out and put everything back together...
The rebuild kit was cheap for me, and flow was easy to see or not see in this case when tank was switched "on" fuel flowed, I believe the carbed bikes are all essentially gravity feed brother.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The white plastic disc seems to be chipped. Maybe you could use the old one from the petcock you are replacing?

Swapped it all out and the leak from there was solved instantly, however the fuel line assemblies where the lines attach now leak really badly.
Old o rings not being moved much have dried and hardened it seems,
Cheers

·
Registered
3,996 Posts

Ensure you are pulling vacuum on the correct petcock nipple. It’s the one that is at 90 degrees to the ground not the one that is pointing straight down. Yeah, I know you know that but....

T.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The rebuild kit was cheap for me, and flow was easy to see or not see in this case when tank was switched "on" fuel flowed, I believe the carbed bikes are all essentially gravity feed brother.
Johnny
Yes and no. It's gravity fed but only if there is a vacuum on the activation port Tiger describes. Typically they fail open and dump fuel through that vacuum port which is not controlled flow wise by the float bowls. It dumps directly into the intake ports just below the carbs. Hence the reason for the diluted oil supply.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe I have the right hose connected; it is the one that goes to the engine for vacuum. I think the other small hose, about the same size, is an overflow or vent. I find it scary that the unit could fail in such a manner as to leak gas into the engine. That could cause severe engine wear or possibly FAILURE.

Good thing I haven't really run the engine since this problem arose and can keep an eye on it. I had the bike laid up for the winter doing maintenance and never got it started afterwards. I'll have to check the oil level often once I get the bike running again.

I have never owned a bike that didn't have the classic fuel cock on the bottom left side of the tank. I wish Honda would stop with all this unessary stuff but bikes are only getting more complex.

Thank you very much for your input.

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts