Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellow Bird Brains,

As part of my drawn out refurb of my 97' carb BB I've reached the stage of considering a pdm for my current and planned accessories (to save ending up with a rats nest of wiring and relays). So it is time to canvas our forum experts for opinions and gems of wisdom.

My current research leads me to the rather pricey ($250) AmpLink from Rowe Electronics (USA). As well as price being a problem I can't find a retailler here in the UK so will face extra delivery and import duties too! So truly want to make sure I'm making an appropriate choice if I proceed.

The AmpLink seems to be the updated version of their PDM60 (a very good update base off user reviews of old v new… now programmable via BT app, dedicated always on lead, 6 accessories with up to three triggers etc). Both models will handle an aggregate 60amp load.

My needs are:
Always on (low amps):
1. SAE connector for batterytender/ charger pass through to battery
2. Bluetooth battery monitor
3. Wifi battery monitor (SchuLink)

I'll be able to put all three above on the same connection. The AmpLink has one dedicated always on lead for exactly these types of accessories.

Switched (normally closed (NC) until ignition is switched on plus 10s time delay)
1. 3x USBs ports (dual port on yoke for (GPS/ phone), single port under seat for charging my handheld tyre compressor)
2. Two 120dB dual-tone airhorns (currently on a relay set up)
3. Heated grips (done)
4. Heated seats (done)
5. Video dashcam (to come)
6. Folding mirrors (project)
7. Heated mirrors (done)
8. Cruise control (project)
9. Tracker (yet to be chosen)
10. DRLs (currently hard wired to parking light)

I'll need to look at amp loading (individual and in aggregate esp the heated loads).

The AmpLink will handle 6 lines up to 15Amps each though the unit is limited to 60Amps in total.

There is a planned newer version which will handle 9 accessories (not out yet) so not an option yet.

So gurus… thoughts, tips and recommendations welcome.

Rgds Mallow1

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mallow, this looks like a compact unit, they don't show a wiring diagram? Is it switched power or relay switched power? I added relays to horn and the one headlight that didn't already have it to reduce stress on the old loom. Heated grips or clothing would be another that may use a relay.
I used this fuse block to create extra circuits by using free space on top of the battery.
/www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Sea-Systems-ST-Blade-Terminal/dp/B00SE6Z2WI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Blue+Sea+ST-Blade+Battery+Terminal+Mount+Fuse+Block+Kit+Marine+%2C+
Additional relays were glued to the undertray.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I use this one on my bikes. Compact and has the option of having as many switched or unswitched circuits as you like.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mallow, this looks like a compact unit, they don't show a wiring diagram? Is it switched power or relay switched power? I added relays to horn and...
Hi Fizzy,
It's a sealed unit which electronically senses the load being drawn when the ignition is turned on. That triggers its internal "relay" function on any line one sets to be an ignition switched line. It also acts as a trip fuse on each line. Should a fuse be tripped it can be reset.

The app allows you to set each line to either always on, switched, switched with time delay (to ease load on battery during start up, default being 10s) or I also believe custom timings. An example of a custom timing (if this unit can do it… I need to check) is that my handheld tyre/ tire compressor I keep under my seat needs to ve recharged after use (or topped up onceca month). With this gizmobit sounds like I can leave it attached to the single usb port under my seatband have that usb go live periodically to top the compressor's rechargeable batteries up automatically.

Three of the lines also have dedicated switch triggers (I assume so things like DRLs or Horn can be triggered not only by needing the ignition on but also say the other lights switched on or the horn button pressed (respectively)… don't quote me on this as I'm not that far into getting my head around the unit yet).

So while I love your link (I'd already bought something similar though not as good and a box of 6 fused relays) the Amplink gizmo ought to make for an easier install, much less footprint/ wiring and greater flexibility (trip fuses, remote access via phone app to set up and monitor/ i.d. faults etc). Downside being cost.

My way ahead may even be a combo of types of units as my accessory list keeps growing!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use this one on my bikes. Compact and has the option of having as many switched or unswitched circuits as you like.

DrRod… ooh almost all the same functionality but at half the price (albeit half the amp capacity). Time for me to calculate my likely power max needs if everything was on all at the same time! If I'm below 30amps this is defo in the running too!

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Mallow I've been running the Rowe for about 7 or 8 years. I sent it out to get the upgrade that makes it programable. It's a hell of a unit and worth every penny spent. It sets in the pocket just behind the grab handle for the center stand. This way I can check with a quick look to see if any circuit has an issue.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bee,

Yer I've seen your pic of it visible through the handle opening (time in recon seldom wasted). I was hoping you'd chip in with insight.

I'm very tempted to go old model (as it is now cheapest, plus once either is set up then it's just down to me to periodically check status. So visual via the LEDs (old model) or via an app (new model) becomes less important. LED bat drain is possibly a negative minor consideration for me.

Great to hear you rate their products highly. I've got my local bike store seeng if they can import one via business channels as the AmpLink model is still prob my choice (c.f. PDM60 model) if I can get the costs down.

So far there seems nothing as good as their models. Obviously that leads to a premium price: good on them (though I have spotted a few "used" PDM60s so far).

Rgds M1

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Mallow LED's don't fire till the key is turned on. I'd second picking up the early version. Of you need it modded for the laptop plug in let me know I still have the gents buiseness card
He is the supplier authorized by PDM to make the Mod. If it isn't already equipped which it should be.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's gold dust Bee… I wasn't aware some older PDM60s needed a mod to get the PC link function! I did read though that if one of the feeds is an always on then all the LEDs stay lit. Hence a bigger drain. Is that correct?

Now I could just direct wire my always on accessories anyway to side step that but then I'm starting to compromise… .oh no no no no! ;-);)

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
That could be I've got mine wired to trigger on with the ignition. In that case I'd go with the newer non LED version.

·
Registered
386 Posts
DrRod… ooh almost all the same functionality but at half the price (albeit half the amp capacity). Time for me to calculate my likely power max needs if everything was on all at the same time! If I'm below 30amps this is defo in the running too!
At half the price, you could mount 2 of them and have more than enough circuits to utilize.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
While waiting for my SH847 to arrive I'm back to looking at the PDM. I went for the Amplink latest model (Xmas pressie from my kind father).

Mallow, Here's the pics of my install...
View attachment 130644
Bee what ancils have you got wired through yours? From your pic I guess a battery tender isvset up, but whats on the rest?

I have bat tender too (re always on), heated grips, heated seat to reinstall, a couple of USB ports and then I'm planning for heated mirrors, power folding mirrors and video cams (front & rear) with screen.

DrRod/ Anyone else? What you got hooked up via a PDM?

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Mallow
I'm running USB ports on 2 channels, my Pro Oiler on 1 and Heated gear on 2 more. So I've got 1 open channel left.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Bee, so not dissimilar to my intended use. I'll have to do my calc on amp loads though. I'm prob aiming for the same location as you for both 847 and PDM… any thoughts with hindesight welcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts