Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOLD THE PHONE!!! just talked with Power commander. Gents with the second gen FI's 2001 and later. Keep an eye out for the PCV to be released. 1st gen 99 00 we'll have to wait a bit longer but we'll be getting a bolt on soon as well

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gen2 digital he said in couple months. Gen one not to long after but thinking probably early next year but definitely in the works.

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,898 Posts
Gen2 digital he said in couple months. Gen one not to long after but thinking probably early next year but definitely in the works.
Keep me informed if you hear anything more!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cool! PCV mean we'll now be able to use the Autotune option module for ideal A/F no matter what the air temp and your bike's setup. But you''ll need and O2 fitting in the exhaust for the Autotune. Also Quickshifter and Map selector switch options.

This is new too >> Power Commander V - PTi - On select models a new version of PCV is now available that’s perfect for forced induction applications. This new unit, PCV-PTi, comes with a Bosch 3 bar MAP/Temp sensor as part of the PCV harness for expanded capabilities built into the control center software. The PTi version of the PCV gives you the ability to modify your fuel curve based off a pressure (boost) table and/or temperature table. The pressure table gives you 3D mapping capability based on boost vs RPM, while the temperature table gives you 2D mapping capability with up to 50 points of adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Silver
The last time I looked into that part of it the map should be compatible. You should be able to import it across. If not then it would just be a matter of bringing the corrections over cell by cell.
The biggest positive is as Reston mentions. With a bit more change you can tune without a dyno. I had discussions with an couple very good tuners here. And the just was that while tuning on a Dyno is very good. Real world mapping is a very great way of tuning as well. And the PCV makes this a whole lot simpler because of the autotune software and sensor add.
I am mapping mine in real world using the PC3 USB. But it requires me to rig my laptop and a screen capture program along with the active cell indicator and the zeitronix dashboards running side by side. Then I have to go back and replay the footage and make my corrections.
Where with the PCV you can set parameters go out ride different ways and build an offset map showing where your outside then quickly autocorrect those areas then go back out. Making the tuning processes much cleaner and quicker.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cool! PCV mean we'll now be able to use the Autotune option module for ideal A/F no matter what the air temp and your bike's setup. But you''ll need and O2 fitting in the exhaust for the Autotune. Also Quickshifter and Map selector switch options.

This is new too >> Power Commander V - PTi - On select models a new version of PCV is now available that’s perfect for forced induction applications. This new unit, PCV-PTi, comes with a Bosch 3 bar MAP/Temp sensor as part of the PCV harness for expanded capabilities built into the control center software. The PTi version of the PCV gives you the ability to modify your fuel curve based off a pressure (boost) table and/or temperature table. The pressure table gives you 3D mapping capability based on boost vs RPM, while the temperature table gives you 2D mapping capability with up to 50 points of adjustment.
A couple of points here are,

1) Knowing what the "Ideal" A/F is, without tuning experience it may not be what you think it is which can lead to poor performance.
2) Using Autotune gives up one of your (2 total) map options. You start with a base tune in Map#1 and the autotune adjusts offsets in Map#2, after running for many km's/mi's you can transfer the offsets to modify your base map. Eventually you can create different maps but if you load 2 you can't use the autotune.
3) The PTi version is basically the same as the base PCV except they pre-configured it for the Bosch sensor. The standard PCV has a single analog (0-5V) input to read a sensor (MAP or Temp), the Bosch does both at once for forced induction applications (the BB ECU already has a Intake Air Sensor).

All in all if this is really coming for the BB then fun times are ahead for the tweakers. :clap:

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cobra
Came straight from Dynojet out of thier headquarters in Nevada. Should be released in the next couple month's.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cobra
Came straight from Dynojet out of thier headquarters in Nevada. Should be released in the next couple month's.
No doubting you Bee's, although it does seem odd that they would release something new for a 16-18yr old bike (in NA) now.

They had ample time to release a version of the PCV for either FI versions long ago and never did, yet they released it for the VFR which uses a 10 pin version of the FI harness connector (01-up uses a 14 pin) with almost all the same connections. Also except for the California Bird the others don't lend themselves to easily adapt the Autotune unit since they have no O2 sensor. So you cut your market share in less than half for the non DIY'ers like ourselves because you're adding $50 to have a bung installed.

Dynojet is famous (infamous) for their coming soon... announcements so we'll see, "in the next couple of months" means fall, meaning season ending (except for you lucky ones). Even though I've got my setup and running it would still be nice to see it happen.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed Cobra
I found out when a Netherlands rider said he had already bought a V for his bird and was running it. Hence my call to Dynojet to ask if it was available. And the resulting answer that it was being released

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok gentleman
As stated the PCV is now available for the 2001 to present BB's.

Reactions: ptxyz

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am mapping mine in real world using the PC3 USB. But it requires me to rig my laptop and a screen capture program along with the active cell indicator and the zeitronix dashboards running side by side. Then I have to go back and replay the footage and make my corrections.
Cool I'm doing (did) the same thing. I started with the Innovate LM2 but it turned out to be a total PoS. It froze up ALL the time and they said they had no fix for it. Waste of money. Zeitronix worked well. I record onto the Zeitronix flash chip then when I come back I review the acceleration A/F and make table adjustment as needed. Bird is tuned to "perfection" now. It runs so well I don't even use first or sixth gear any more! Don't need to. Beestoys Question: What kind of map values you end up with? I think my whole map is negative values and I cruise in the mid/low 14's and accelerate in the low 13's to high 12's

And in general >> What's the difference between 99 and 2000 Birds and 2001 up? That they need different model PC V's. I though only difference was dash setup.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Reston
I'm negative in a lot of areas as well. I'm set up to run in the mid to high 13's. Per Power Commanders recommendations. They typically tune to 13.8 and it's where they see the best balance if power and economy. Acceleration should be around 12.8. Also double check your numbers during fall and winter months. You may see it going back rich by a full point. It's funny but once it's set at the colder climate it compensates for the warmer climate. But for some reason it can't go the other direction. So double check your numbers during the winter months. I ride year round here so I'm not sure if you do as well.

The difference between the 1st and 2nd gen FI's as I refer to them is the harness connection style for the injectors, MAP, Airtemp and TPS. The later went to a bull connector that allows it to separate from the main harness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's funny but once it's set at the colder climate it compensates for the warmer climate. But for some reason it can't go the other direction.
I'd speculate it's because a tune that's right on when cooler will get richer as it gets warmer. I did the opposite. I tuned mine a hair rich for the hot humid weather (much of the season in the Wash DC area) because it just seems to run smoother and pull better that way. And it's still happy (although a bit leaner) as the weather cools.

My Bird goes to bed for the winter when days get in the low 50's. I can't enjoy a sportbike with layers of winter gear on.... '06 Stratoliner with a giant shield is my winter ride

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOW bet thay sell bucket loads
When they release the 99 2k version I'll be picking one up. Word I got was probably sometime next year but it is coming

Reactions: Ausblackbird
1 - 20 of 149 Posts