Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure a few on here have parts washers. So what do you find to be a good cleaning solution to run through them?

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
Depends how aggressive you want to be and what you are putting into the washer.
Some of the chemicals I use will eat aluminium in short time but are great for stands and steel items that are caked solid! Very thick long gloves are needed.
Paraffin works well but you will stink out the local area if you aren't careful.
There are some good green chemicals around now, worth checking out as a general cleaner ...... but always check if they are compatible with the material you are cleaning.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,921 Posts
What kind of parts cleaner do you have or are looking at? I have an Ultrasonic parts cleaner and I use water, water and dawn dish detergent. There are some other cleaners for cleaning really gummed up stuff. So far I haven't needed it. It is 8 gallons and has a 40 Hertz or a 20 Hertz setting. $800 on Ebay. There is an 8 gallon one for $200 but that one had bad reviews... as in the power button was melting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just a small bench top one that has a continuous flow of cleaning fluid. Will just be cleaning small oily/greasy bits and bobs. Will see what is recommended in the manual when it turns up. Thinking Gunk or diesel may suit.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,921 Posts
A long time ago I went to a farm store and they had a 5 gallon can of parts cleaner fluid.
Diesel cleans but is flammable and seems to smell no matter how much you clean your hands off.
Times change but as a kid on the farm when we had greasy hands we had a 55 gallon drum of diesel on its side and it had a spigot. Open the spigot and clean your hands. Nothing caught the small trickle of diesel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
.....Will just be cleaning small oily/greasy bits and bobs. Will see what is recommended in the manual when it turns up. Thinking Gunk or diesel may suit.
good choices but it is worth looking at some of the 'green' options (I have a lovely one that smells of lemons) since you can dispose of these easily. Some of the traditional solutions are hard to get rid of unless you have no morals.

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any links to the green option Pete? Instructions state no flammable solvents, water based only. Looks to be a small aquarium pump, so anything nasty will probably just wreck the pump.

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
Not really since I note the one I have bought comes in 20l drums before diluting, far more than you will ever need ...... but here is a 5l one from a quick google. Clover ECO 330 Degreaser x 5 Litre - Eco Friendly

Just search for degreasers and you will find what you need, concentrated solutions always are the most cost effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts