Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 CBR1100XX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1999 in Minneapolis and rode back to Rhode Island over the weekend. I wonder if there are other owners in the RI / CT area on this site.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,341 Posts
You have any pictures of your new ride? Set up for touring with some bar risers, bags, or windshield? There was some nice weather but Saturday was a bit wet around the Chicago area. What route did you take?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 CBR1100XX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bike is stock except for a bigger rear sprocket and an after market 2 brothers exhaust. It's a black 99. I don't have any touring accessories except a bungie bag.
I spent a good deal of time leaning on the tank on this ride. In that position the wind goes over me.
My route was Minneapolis to Milwaukee; Milwaukee to Muskegon, MI by ferry; Muskegon to Rochester, NY via Cleveland; Rochester to West Hartford, CT.
I was pleased with the comfort of the bird. My butt was a little sore, but the rest of my body is fine.
I have been riding an ST1100 for several years and that is a great bike. I like the wind protection that bike gives with a taller than stock shield. Less bugs on my face. That being said, the bird is awesome.
It was nice weather all the way to Rochester. I got rained on around Lake Seneca in NY. I didn't have rain gear. Oh well. It cleared up for the final two or three hours from Binghamton NY to West Hartford. Most of the trip was rural routes and interstates through the countryside. The vineyards between Buffalo and Rochester smelled nice.
I'll send a photo of my bike when I got back to West Hartford. The man I bought it from in Minneapolis had the stock exhaust. I taped it to the back of the bike for the ride home.

·
Registered
1999 CBR1100XX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bike is stock except for a bigger rear sprocket and an after market 2 brothers exhaust. It's a black 99. I don't have any touring accessories except a bungie bag.
I spent a good deal of time leaning on the tank on this ride. In that position the wind goes over me.
My route was Minneapolis to Milwaukee; Milwaukee to Muskegon, MI by ferry; Muskegon to Rochester, NY via Cleveland; Rochester to West Hartford, CT.
I was pleased with the comfort of the bird. My butt was a little sore, but the rest of my body is fine.
I have been riding an ST1100 for several years and that is a great bike. I like the wind protection that bike gives with a taller than stock shield. Less bugs on my face. That being said, the bird is awesome.
It was nice weather all the way to Rochester. I got rained on around Lake Seneca in NY. I didn't have rain gear. Oh well. It cleared up for the final two or three hours from Binghamton NY to West Hartford. Most of the trip was rural routes and interstates through the countryside. The vineyards between Buffalo and Rochester smelled nice.
I'll send a photo of my bike when I got back to West Hartford. The man I bought it from in Minneapolis had the stock exhaust. I taped it to the back of the bike for the ride home.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,341 Posts
I was wondering if you took the ferry across Lake Michigan. I think that was a nice across the lake and cut off a lot of miles and way less traffic. You'll tweak your new bike and get it just the way you want. It can be a long distance bike if you want it to be.
Congratulations, now goo gone will take off any tape residue without hurting your paint.
Never seen a packing job like that but necessity is the mother of invention!

·
Registered
1999 CBR1100XX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put blue painter's tape under the duck tape to protect the paint. The tape came right off. I'm quite please the previous owner had the original exhaust. This bike had 13,600 miles so the exhaust is practically brand new. It's going in storage. The 2 Brother's exhaust seems to be pretty good.
The ferry ride was nice. It was dark at 6 AM. The deck hands were looking at constellations when we were setting out of Milwaukee. I slept 1/2 the ride and went on deck when we pulled into Muskegon. Lovely scenery. There were not many passengers. I wonder how long they'll be able to stay in business.
I think this bike pretty much the way I want it for long distance straight stock. I rode 1200 miles in 2.5 days. I'm 57 years old, 6'1" and I'm feeling fine after the ride. I'd like a taller windscreen but that will not work on this bike. I'll probably get some saddle bags, especially if my old lady (by 3 days ;)), wants to tour with me. A small tank bag with a clear cover so I can see my phone is probably going to be my first purchase.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You might like the MRA Vario Touring Windscreen. Sits a bit higher and comes with an adjustable wind deflector.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,341 Posts
+1 on the MRA Vario adjustable windshield. I run with the lip flattened most of the time but I raise it quick if it gets cold or rainy.
I just put on a Quad-lock wireless charger on my bike. Video of it on my XXGUY YouTube channel. I really like it as it keeps my phone charged while using it for GPS and playing music. Not cheap but my phone is locked in and is rubber mounted for vibration.
There's a lotnof things that I wonder how they are staying in business lately. But people are traveling again.

·
Registered
1999 CBR1100XX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will that windshield keep bugs off my face? I'm 6'1". I looked at it and I don't think it will.

The Givi E41 bags look good, but I'm going to try to find Beetle Bags. I'll look for a year or so. I can manage with a back pack until I get panniers.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,341 Posts
Bugs? Hmmm, I'll pay more attention next time. I have E41 GIVI panniers and a Givi V57 (?) for top box.

·
Registered
1999 CBR1100XX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A: Your garage is a heluva lot neater than mine;
B. Gee, your bike looks nice.
I rode all day Saturday. It was warm. At some points I had so many bugs on my face shield it was hard to see. I got some bugs here in CT yesterday, but not like MI and OH. I'm used to a nice, tall, after-market windshield on my ST1100. No bugs hit me over that shield, but something like that will not work on the CBR11.
I put about 1500 miles on it riding it back from the previous owner. The Bird and I got nicely acquainted. It is better than what I've read, and I've only read good things.
The main things that will take some adjusting are accelerating from 0mph (holy crap), and back road handling. There are some very narrow, tree-lined, twisty roads here in southern New England. One mistake and it'll be bad.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,341 Posts
A: THE GARAGE is not always like that but it has to be an organized mess because it has a lot of stuff jammed in there.
B: when I am traveling on straight roads, i.e Nebraska 2 lane or super slab I have a tank bag and I hunch over and rest my chin on my fist and the fist rests on the bag. All air flow goes over my helmet. What's nice is that I have electronic cruise control and can swap out fists. Don't do it for long as I'm 6'3" but it is nice to duck down and rest once in a while. When the lip is up no wind or rain hits my collar of my jacket. Therefore if a bad bug night I can always hunker down and miss most of the bugs.

C: I always carry a small microfiber towel and a smaller bottle of something to clean my visor. What I found out when I went on my 21 day 7000 mile trip was... I cleaned my visor and then sprayed it with my waterless cleaner Top Coat F-11 then buffed it off several times then went on my trip. Rain went off my visor better but more importantly with my leather gloves I could wipe off bugs with no smears... well not quite. If it was a black bug no problem but if it was a bug that splatter with clear liquid then it would smear. But still it extended my range of having a clear visor by a long time. Sometimes a whole tank out west. The cleaner I use is supposed to be anti fog but it doesn't do that so good. But it does a fabulous job of atomizing the spray so little is needed and it does a wonderful job of cleaning and not leaving any streaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts