Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still reckon shes the best bike I have ever owned and still have her after five years this month of ownership.
Had a few problems to start with but sorted them out pretty quickly except for the fault 25 coming on in France two years ago but since running again on UK fuel hasn't ( touch wood ) reared its ugly head again.
So at five years of ownership I guess I am just at wood marriage.
How long have you owned your Birds ? I guess there are quite a few long term relationships out there ?

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,864 Posts
7 years and happy. Even my wife commented to a friend that... He really enjoys that bike.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I still reckon shes the best bike I have ever owned and still have her after five years this month of ownership.
Had a few problems to start with but sorted them out pretty quickly except for the fault 25 coming on in France two years ago but since running again on UK fuel hasn't ( touch wood ) reared its ugly head again.
So at five years of ownership I guess I am just at wood marriage.
How long have you owned your Birds ? I guess there are quite a few long term relationships out there ?
Had mine for 20 years and counting. Blackbird forever !!

·
Registered
123 Posts
2 years....should have done it MUCH sooner

Reactions: Roboman

·
Registered
16 Posts
12 years. Picked my '02 model up in the summer of '08. It was sitting in front of the local Honda dealership, and was either on consignment, or had been traded in. Previous owner was a doctor who almost never rode her--less than 2,500 miles on it at the time. Still the best bike I've ever ridden, though I don't seem to have the time to ride her nearly as much as I did in the first few years I owned her. Garage kept at all times.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I had my 97 XX for near 12 years and it was too that point the best bike I had ever owned, it had undergone a lot of upgrades and modifications and was sold at 112,000km,. it was loved and is missed:). One of the best mods was the LSL Superbike bars along with the upgraded rear suspension along with full Yoshimura system for weight savings.

What I liked about the Bird was its overall smoothness and its appearance. Since I sold it after stripping it down and selling all the aftermarket goodies I bought a 08 ZX14 w Ohlins suspension front and back, PC and Yosh slip ons. What an insane machine, i LOVED it for the unlimited amounts of power it had, the XX was not in its league BUT what I hated was the GOBS of heat the 1400cc puts off if one is caught in stand still traffic. I did the second fan mod which helped but overall thats was one drawback and it is to be expected w 1400cc. Handling though for the ZX14 is good, comfort and smoothness was great, it is a real nice bike and mine was set up for long distance touring just like my XX.

Fuel injection was welcomed along with a Sargent seat and bar risers, I truly liked the ZX14 but I sold it to go retro and I picked up a mint 1996 ZX1100D and a mint 2000 ZX-9R and still had $3K left in my jeans!! Now having had some seat time with the ZX11 I can say stock to stock the ZX11 is more motor than the XX just slightly, comfort wise they are pretty similar w equal mods such as a Corbin seat and bar risers, edge to the ZX. I feel the XX had an edge with the stock Nissan calipers vs the ZX Tokico w stock brake lines, the XX was a tad smoother but I did get numb had on the XX and dont on the ZX nor did on the 14 or 9R. Long term reliability the XX is solid as well all know, I never had any issues with mine.

However once I get my collector plate for substantially reduced annual insurance premiums starting in Sept the ZX will see the balance of new mods I have waiting for it. Delkevic slip on mufflers, Factory Pro Jet kit, K&N filter , FP Ignition advancer, new aftermarket rear shock, upgraded front suspension and my favorite, an ABM Superbike bar conversion kit and braided lines F&R. Only 35km on it and it is the dark windsor green version.

This leaves what to me is the unsung hero, the ZX-9R!. It to me is the closest bike to what the XX was to me (ZX11 is pretty much same as XX size and weight wise). The ZX-9R is TRULY an underrated bike. Yes it is 899cc but it weighs under 400lbs w my new aftermarket MIG silver weave muffler. This is now my go to bike. I just went on an overnight ride and logged 800km w stock bars, no issues. It has a GP Suspension rear shock, factory front suspension and a Corbin seat. I serviced the valves this past Friday at 46km, the bike is on point w new plugs, ignition advancer, jet kit, K&N and to be added is a full braided line kit and I am awaiting my APEX 3" adjustable clip on risers. The 9R is fast and just so flickable. Windscreen protection is good and with my Gears Canada Navigator tail bag holding 50 litres I can easily get away for 5 nights no problems. Having ridden litre bikes and larger for the last while I favour the 9R for being so much lighter and I can reduce weight further. It gets good range on a tank but lacks a gas gauge and gear indicator. Comes stock w a 190 rear tire and its ergonomics fit me like a glove at 5"10 173lb. I am extremely happy I picked this bike up because it is a blast and just so fun to ride, can I say that again, so fun to ride. I can only say if one is looking for a cheap second bike I can highly recommend a used ZX-9R, go for the 2000-2003 models for what they can be picked up for used. Just wanted to lend some feedback, and a last comment this is till the best online forum I have ever been part of, all the others seem to have moved to facebook but I so prefer forums to FB. I wish I still had my XX just to have 3 in the stable:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have had the pleasure of 2 Birds........ the 02 I had from new in errrr, 02, for 3yrs and 54,000kms - it was pristine when I traded it on the new 05 in errr, 2005;)....... which I still have 15 yrs and 130,000kms later......... It is my no 2 bike now days, but I hope to get back on it more often now that my damaged left hip has at last been replaced....... or I might park it in the lounge room as an art exhibit :unsure:........ :LOL:. I prefer to ride it as it still feels like new after all this time and mileage (y)

Should have kept the black one...... but I just didn't know how good/well manufactured they were back then, and I got a killer deal on the Bluebird in my avatar pic...... note to all, take the partner on the deal making day...... the sales guys are more polite and think she is the purse string holder...... well it seemed to work for me that day anyway.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts