Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I need some advice with my 99 bb

On a ride last sunday a friend following me said occasionlly at high rpm he could smell fuel from my bike a friend also said he could smell fuel from it on my commute to work the other day

Theyre was no smell at idle and i cant smell it in the garrage or whilst riding

The bike does have a remus aftermarket system fitted but no one has mentioned it before about a week ago.

I belive an FPR is a common cause of over fueling but could it be anything else

In total honesty its over due a service so old inefficant air filter ?

Im going to spray water on the hedders tomorrow morning from a cold start which aparently indicates an ineffective FPR if 2 and 3 dont evaporate the water

Any advice would be greatfully recived again

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Check that you don't have a fuel smell in your oil - if you do, stop riding it or you will damage the engine becasue your oil is diluted with fuel.
Then search FPR threads on here for more info about checking FPR.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Check the vacuum line (it's the smaller of the 2) for wetting inside. Sure sign it's leaking along with leighb's pointer as well. If the level is up your diluted shut it down before you take out the button end bearings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the vacuum line (it's the smaller of the 2) for wetting inside. Sure sign it's leaking along with leighb's pointer as well. If the level is up your diluted shut it down before you take out the button end bearings.
Will check it tomorrow pal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check that you don't have a fuel smell in your oil - if you do, stop riding it or you will damage the engine becasue your oil is diluted with fuel.
Then search FPR threads on here for more info about checking FPR.
Quite diffict at the moment due to hayfeaver cant really smell anything pal ive tried

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
That is the FPR yes but that's the later version that will bump the rail pressure to 50 psi and require a power commander and mapping to get the fuel ratio back down to factory levels.
On another note that small pipe is the one that connects to the line you need to check for wetness.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the FPR yes but that's the later version that will bump the rail pressure to 50 psi and require a power commander and mapping to get the fuel ratio back down to factory levels.
On another note that small pipe is the one that connects to the line you need to check for wetness.

When serching on the fourm people have said that the one for the early fi bikes has been discontinued

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Could be what's it look like when you hold it up to the sun looking through it?

Very likely to be true parts are starting to become unobtainable. If you do install the newer one do a plug check after about 100 miles and see where they end up color wise. You want a light tan to grey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be what's it look like when you hold it up to the sun looking through it?

Very likely to be true parts are starting to become unobtainable. If you do install the newer one do a plug check after about 100 miles and see where they end up color wise. You want a light tan to grey.
I will see tomorrow due to it being nighttime here

Dont think ill change the fpr as it seems fine

·
Super Moderator
12,518 Posts
As a side note to the fixes given above when my wife follows my 99 (inj) Bird she always comments 'your bike stinks'. She said the same after following a mate on a 99 Thundercat. This saying has become a bit of a joke with other friends asking her if their bikes stink!

'99 Birds do not of course have any forms of emissions control (neither does the Thundercat) and I'm wondering if the smell is simply due to the age of the bike and the lack of emissions control. FWIW the FPR on my bike is good, the air filter clean, plugs are the correct colour when pulled and it doesn't burn oil.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,483 Posts
I changed to the newer fpr after reading here about smoother lower end. Fuel consumption went up a litre/100k and it stunk. Pipes black. So back to my original. Ahh thats better. Benefit if a y wasnt worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so update had the misses who is pregnant and can smell petrol from miles away smell the oil on the dipstick and she cant smell petrol on it so looks like a good service with iridium plugs should be in order

Will take pictures of plugs when i service them as i assume they will be horrible too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts