Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did an oil change and overfilled the oil. Not by much, about .1 liters but it's reading above the upper line of the dipstick. I want to let some out but I've always had bad luck with opening up the drainbolt. Inevitably, the oil comes gushing out before I can plug it up. :thumbd:

Since I need to get only a small amount out, I'd like to siphon some from the filler hole. Any ideas on how to do it? Tried sticking in some tubing with a bulb on the end to create some suction but not a drop came out. I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
I really wouldnt worry about 100mill

now if it were a litre then that would different.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
I'm with Ugly. That little amount is not likely to cause any trouble. How far above the line is it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with Ugly. That little amount is not likely to cause any trouble. How far above the line is it?
It's about 1/5th over the distance between the two marks. I calculated how much I put in and it was about 3.98 L, with filter change. So, I'm about 80 ml over. I guess I should not sweat it.

My other problem is that I simply cannot tell if my moto is on flat ground. I've put the bike on a centerstand in various parts of my garage and I get different readings on the dipstick. So for now, I'll just put the right amount of oil in the bike and not worry about it.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Stupid question, but are you threading the lipstick in to check the level? I don't know that 80 ml would show that much.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stupid question, but are you threading the lipstick in to check the level? I don't know that 80 ml would show that much.
No, not threading in the dipstick.

Reading the oil level on the stick is all over the place. Had an issue before where i thought I was burning oil since I could not get a reading on the stick at all. Then, decided to change the oil and put the correct amount in and now it reads high (and I know for a fact that I put in only 3.98 L). Maybe there was a fair amount of oil left in the bike after I drained it (but I let it drain for about 20 minutes till nothing came out).

I suspect that I am not on prefectly level ground and simply getting strange readings.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Try a spirit level on the ground,
Put your bike on some where that looks level,
Throw a bucket of water on the ground, it will tell you if its level or not,
Its not that critical, to have dead level ground.
As long as its almost on the dip stick level you will be right to go,

·
Kawasaki Interloper
55 Posts
on any bike the ground can be sort of level, it's not critical as you usually find that the dipstick / sight glass is in the middle of the sump (front to back) so if the front end is slightly raised the result is the same. What is important though is that the bike is upright: if it is canted over only a small amount it will greatly affect the accuracy of the check.

All right if you have a centre stand but if not then an oil check is really a two-person job; one holding the bike upright the other to do the measuring/viewing.

If you are really worried then check the oil, spin the bike round 180degrees so it is now facing the other way and check again..the true measure will be 1/2 way between the two results.:cool:

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
on any bike the ground can be sort of level, it's not critical as you usually find that the dipstick / sight glass is in the middle of the sump (front to back) so if the front end is slightly raised the result is the same. What is important though is that the bike is upright: if it is canted over only a small amount it will greatly affect the accuracy of the check.

All right if you have a centre stand but if not then an oil check is really a two-person job; one holding the bike upright the other to do the measuring/viewing.

If you are really worried then check the oil, spin the bike round 180degrees so it is now facing the other way and check again..the true measure will be 1/2 way between the two results.:cool:
:plus1::thumb:

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just did an oil change and overfilled the oil. Not by much, about .1 liters but it's reading above the upper line of the dipstick. I want to let some out but I've always had bad luck with opening up the drainbolt. Inevitably, the oil comes gushing out before I can plug it up. :thumbd:

Since I need to get only a small amount out, I'd like to siphon some from the filler hole. Any ideas on how to do it? Tried sticking in some tubing with a bulb on the end to create some suction but not a drop came out. I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

Did you start and idle the engine since you put the new oil in?

Did you replace the oil filter as well?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
But to nbloedorn, shouldn't hurt anything so long as you don't overfill it. Bloody small hole to put oil in though! Would need a steady hand and a tiny funnel.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It isn’t that hard to drain a small amount of oil back out of the sump, if you are careful. Just don’t remove the drain bolt completely. As you unscrew it, oil will start to drip/trickle out on about the second or third last thread.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts