Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black 2003 Blackbird was stolen from W. 91st St some time between Thursday (5/20/21) night and Friday morning. Video from a building across the street showed 4 guys pulling up with a van and loading it into the back. Sure this is a standard approach to bike theft by professional gangs - but why would anyone steal a 2003 Blackbird when the surrounding streets are bulging with late model GS1200s and Panigales ?

The insurance agent called me this morning and expressed her amazement as she told me that another 2003 black Blackbird had been stolen 3 days ago from just a few streets away.

Anyone else lose a blackbird recently or have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Jeez........can't a guy have a side gig?

Ahh, man...that sucks. I keep my ear to the ground on parts, will definitely be aware. Any special equipment or markings that might give something away? Might be better if you private messaged me, anyone can read this forum.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My black 2003 Blackbird was stolen…
That truly sucks man! Sorry to gear that.

I've been a longstanding user of Datatool's microdots/ smart water/ UV acid etching/ chip products.

Only time I've had a bike stollen they found the parts in a house. The police thought they couldn't prosecute fully (only re engine and frame as they hadn't yet had serials ground off) as no connection to all the parts could be established. I produced the full data security info and the toe-rags claiming to have bought parts separately went up to "receivering stollen goods" and then theft itself. They went down for it.

I religiously etch/ UV tag/ micro chip etc all my parts now. As tech improves GPS tag n track and "sleeper" tagging are very interesting and viable options.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That truly sucks man! Sorry to gear that.

I've been a longstanding user of Datatool's microdots/ smart water/ UV acid etching/ chip products.

Only time I've had a bike stollen they found the parts in a house. The police thought they couldn't prosecute fully (only re engine and frame as they hadn't yet had serials ground off) as no connection to all the parts could be established. I produced the full data security info and the toe-rags claiming to have bought parts separately went up to "receivering stollen goods" and then theft itself. They went down for it.

I religiously etch/ UV tag/ micro chip etc all my parts now. As tech improves GPS tag n track and "sleeper" tagging are very interesting and viable options.
Back when I did my cbr1000f makeover I actually engraved the last 6 digits of my social insurance number on 80% of the bike! My new camera system for my second build has built-in GPS.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My black 2003 Blackbird was stolen from W. 91st St some time between Thursday (5/20/21) night and Friday morning. Video from a building across the street showed 4 guys pulling up with a van and loading it into the back. Sure this is a standard approach to bike theft by professional gangs - but why would anyone steal a 2003 Blackbird when the surrounding streets are bulging with late model GS1200s and Panigales ?

The insurance agent called me this morning and expressed her amazement as she told me that another 2003 black Blackbird had been stolen 3 days ago from just a few streets away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WOW!!! My 2003 Blackbird was also just stolen, from St. Nicholas Place between 152 and 153 between 7pm 5/18/2021 and 7:30am the next day. What the hell is going on? I have had the bike for many years and it didn't even look good because of the cracked windscreen and no side fairings because I've been working on the bike. I was so sure it had been towed by the NYPD because I've had it in the same place for seven or eight years. Very strange indeed! Please let me know if you hear of any recovery. Farley.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
WOW!!! My 2003 Blackbird was also just stolen, from St. Nicholas Place between 152 and 153 between 7pm 5/18/2021 and 7:30am the next day. What the hell is going on? I have had the bike for many years and it didn't even look good because of the cracked windscreen and no side fairings because I've been working on the bike. I was so sure it had been towed by the NYPD because I've had it in the same place for seven or eight years. Very strange indeed! Please let me know if you hear of any recovery. Farley.
Sorry to hear that. Would that be this bike? Amazing what one can find on Google Street view!

·
Registered
6 Posts

You may have seen in this thread that my bike, same as yours, was also stolen. Have you had any developments with the NYPD? I really hope to somehow get my baby back. Cheers, Farley.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear yours got stolen. I had a 07 cbr600 stolen from my apartment in queens years ago. NYPD is absolutely useless when it comes to recovering bikes and comprehensive insurance is really your only way to have some kind of compensation. I don't live in NYC anymore partly because of the constant aggrevations when it comes to riding.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear about that guys, it’s got to be infuriating to have that happen and I hope they catch whoever did it. The fact that it happened recently just when summer is starting makes me wonder if it might be joyriders and not scrappers. Given the potential for increased theft in some neighborhoods and the groups of 20-30 unlicensed bikes from your area that regularly rip around the city it might be worth taking a look at them to see if one of those bikes looks familiar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts