Honda CBR XX Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 CBR1100XX
7 Posts
Great post, upctax. I look forward to your ride reports once the Las Vegas heat relents. As a Phoenician, I empathize with you. :cool:

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
I am 62, have wanted a blackbird for over 20 years. Just found a 2001, original owner (great guy), and 7200 miles. I paid $7500.00 and drove over 1200 miles to pick it up. I haven't been able to ride it yet (Las Vegas heat of over 110) but I do sit and look at it everyday. I also own a couple of Harleys, and have had many bikes. This is the only one I will keep forever. Did I mention the previous owner put it up for sale over 3 years ago, and it took me this long to get him to let go of it. It was worth the wait. And he knows it went to another great owner. Unless you are really hurting for the money, keep it, it is like a family member. Cheers. View attachment 131833
That's a gorgeous Redbird. Those bags are almost impossible to get too. You need to go to LDCOMFORT.COM and invest in some of their undergarments. Makes riding in hot weather pretty good. There is a lot of info about riding in hot weather on the forum. I was out in 110 to 115 in full gear and a evaporative cooling vest and sleeves. Comfortable too. You gotta ride that thing!!! Nice seat too!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
To add my testimonial to the previous chorus, I'm 78 and still riding my BB. I've recently bought a smaller, lighter bike for local jaunts but the BB, as a "gentleman's express," remains my ride of choice. Hey, when you've got a wife who says, "Don't ever sell that bike," you know it, and she, are keepers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
To add my testimonial to the previous chorus, I'm 78 and still riding my BB. I've recently bought a smaller, lighter bike for local jaunts but the BB, as a "gentleman's express," remains my ride of choice. Hey, when you've got a wife who says, "Don't ever sell that bike," you know it, and she, are keepers.

Just curious, what did you buy?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Gents - I am the original & only owner of a 1997 Blackbird (CARB Model). The bike is 100% stock with the exception of a pair of Micron Cans & a tinted Zero Gravity Windscreen with 10,800 miles on XX. The bike has always been garaged kept & has never been on the ground. I do not ride as much as I use to because of age 63 & location (NJ). Plus I will be moving late next year to retire in NC. The last couple of years the bike has only been out a couple of times because I was taking care of elderly/sick parents. It's not fair to just sit in the garage under a cover & not be used & enjoyed

Do I sell the BB or hold? Please provide me with your thoughts? If I sell, how much could I get for the XX?

Thanks,

JTY50

P. S. Also own 2019 Kawasaki Z900 naked bike.
Hang on to that bird if you're close to retiring. I suspect you'll have a lot more time to ride it once you retire. I'm 60 and though my rides are usually limited to 20 miles or less these days (lack of time with work and everything), I still love getting on my bird for a ride whenever I can work a few minutes into my schedule, so your age shouldn't be an issue if you're in good health and half way decent shape. If you let it go, you'll likely never find another bike like what you've got, and you'll wish you still had it when you have more time for riding in retirement. In the meantime, keep her plugged into a battery tender, and try to get her out for at least a 5-10 mile ride once every 3-4 weeks, just to keep the fluids flowing, seals lubed, etc. It doesn't take much riding to keep her in shape until you retire and are ready for a lot more time enjoying her.

-Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went for a Yamaha MT-07; got a good deal on a '19 with 2k miles. Suspension is a bit harsh compared to a BB, but that's readily fixable. On the other hand, the motor is major gnarly, and the bike weighs over 100 lbs less than the BB.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I went for a Yamaha MT-07; got a good deal on a '19 with 2k miles. Suspension is a bit harsh compared to a BB, but that's readily fixable. On the other hand, the motor is major gnarly, and the bike weighs over 100 lbs less than the BB.
i see you are 78 well done however the yamaha mt 07 is a beginners bike and while a light bike suspension is frightful

·
Registered
7 Posts
As to the MT-07 being a beginner's bike, maybe you could say I'm entering my second childhood. Seriously, though, I'm of the era when 650 Bonnies or 750 Commandos were about the biggest bikes around, except for Harleys (if you wanted to roll that way), so I don't regard a 700cc, 70 hp bike as exactly a tiddler. You're right about the suspension, though, but that's relatively easy to fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gents - I am the original & only owner of a 1997 Blackbird (CARB Model). The bike is 100% stock with the exception of a pair of Micron Cans & a tinted Zero Gravity Windscreen with 10,800 miles on XX. The bike has always been garaged kept & has never been on the ground. I do not ride as much as I use to because of age 63 & location (NJ). Plus I will be moving late next year to retire in NC. The last couple of years the bike has only been out a couple of times because I was taking care of elderly/sick parents. It's not fair to just sit in the garage under a cover & not be used & enjoyed

Do I sell the BB or hold? Please provide me with your thoughts? If I sell, how much could I get for the XX?

Thanks,

JTY50

P. S. Also own 2019 Kawasaki Z900 naked bike.
I go thru sell at times too until I ride her and realize her insane uniqueness as well as finding her in a crate brand new in 2019. I have also a Busa, ZX14 and now a Zero for other varieties and I’ll be 62 here soon. Loving them all each time I ride them 👌😎👍

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey! I’m one of those old dudes in South Florida. Picking up a 97 bird Monday. Sold my 98 with 125000 miles on it about 2 yrs ago. Had a Busa, BMW, Triumph 955, an 5th gen VFR since..Sold all but VFR . Don’t compare to the Bird so"…….Monday😎👍

·
Registered
64 Posts
I say HOLD too!!

I'm only 43 and I think the 3rd owner of my 97. She's always been a garage queen and now has a tick over 17k miles. Its never leaving my garage.

·
Administrator
9,148 Posts
Hey! I’m one of those old dudes in South Florida. Picking up a 97 bird Monday. Sold my 98 with 125000 miles on it about 2 yrs ago. Had a Busa, BMW, Triumph 955, an 5th gen VFR since..Sold all but VFR . Don’t compare to the Bird so"…….Monday😎👍
Bentley Welcome back old friend!

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nice bike, not the quality of a Honda but still pretty good. Lighter than the Honda. Plenty of power. Mine was a 2004 with only 11000 miles, Had Marvic wheels and a add on exhaust. Very Quick and nice handling . Not all that comfortable for longer trips without some mods. I put a Sargeant seat on I got off ebay, minor improvement. Didn't stand up to the the bird or VFR, thats why it's gone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I go thru sell at times too until I ride her and realize her insane uniqueness as well as finding her in a crate brand new in 2019. I have also a Busa, ZX14 and now a Zero for other varieties and I’ll be 62 here soon. Loving them all each time I ride them 👌😎👍
Jealous!

Hey, how does the Busa stack-up against the Bird?

Nato

·
Registered
335 Posts
My opinion…..I purchased it in Wisconsin…got on it rode 80 miles to my sisters following my wife in the car. Very fast. Quicker than the bird but should be at ++ccs. Not as comfortable . After 35-40 miles I was ready for a break but did the whole 80. Bought a Corbin seat off Fleabay…not much help there. For me not a long cruiser. I used to to round trip commute 156 miles 4 days a week on the bird all kinds of weather and it was a pleasure. With bar risers would have been even better but I didn’t get around to that. Busa is like a go fast boat…fun for awhile then you want something else in…my opinion.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My opinion…..I purchased it in Wisconsin…got on it rode 80 miles to my sisters following my wife in the car. Very fast. Quicker than the bird but should be at ++ccs. Not as comfortable . After 35-40 miles I was ready for a break but did the whole 80. Bought a Corbin seat off Fleabay…not much help there. For me not a long cruiser. I used to to round trip commute 156 miles 4 days a week on the bird all kinds of weather and it was a pleasure. With bar risers would have been even better but I didn’t get around to that. Busa is like a go fast boat…fun for awhile then you want something else in…my opinion.
Thanks for that. I've heard similar things. The only real appeal is the power, I reckon.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts