Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents - I am the original & only owner of a 1997 Blackbird (CARB Model). The bike is 100% stock with the exception of a pair of Micron Cans & a tinted Zero Gravity Windscreen with 10,800 miles on XX. The bike has always been garaged kept & has never been on the ground. I do not ride as much as I use to because of age 63 & location (NJ). Plus I will be moving late next year to retire in NC. The last couple of years the bike has only been out a couple of times because I was taking care of elderly/sick parents. It's not fair to just sit in the garage under a cover & not be used & enjoyed

Do I sell the BB or hold? Please provide me with your thoughts? If I sell, how much could I get for the XX?

Thanks,

JTY50

P. S. Also own 2019 Kawasaki Z900 naked bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dude, I'll be 70 this October, age is no excuse for losing a bird like yours :)

NC is a rider's dream, try south Florida with all of those old relics driving, oh wait... Um, mature drivers inexperienced driving in flat terrain.

·
Administrator
9,124 Posts
Second the above I'm 60 and commute on mine everyday. As stated your moving to a riding heaven. Keep it take it there ride it a bit then make your decision after.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,220 Posts
I just turned 57 and returned from a 4,080 mile trip. DON'T SELL IT YET! As stated above... you are retiring soon. NC, SC, GA, East Tennessee, Virginia is some of the best riding around in the States. Put some VFR bars on it and an aftermarket seat. Maybe Jamie Daugherty's Suspension if you enjoy those roads down there. It will smooth that ride and handling will improve. Play with it.
In a year or so after retirement and it still sits then sell it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just keep it and ride ride ride I'm 56 no intention of getting rid of bird. makes me feel like I'm 20 when I'm riding love it

·
Registered
392 Posts
I echo what others have said. Age is only a number. I will be 70 on my next birthday. Still have my BB but, due to covid travel restrictions, have been spending most of my time on my KTM 790 Adventure R in the back country. I hope to be riding for several more years. Still, the BB is like an elixir!!
Sadly , BB's are not worth as much to someone else as they are to us so selling it would not get you a whole lot of money but, if you did, I wager the regret would set in fairly soon.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Keep it, it's worth more to you than you'll ever get from someone buying it.
Once it's gone, there will be a day when you say I wish I'd kept my bike,
If you decide to get another one, it almost certainly wont be a well looked after
one owner machine. Age doesn't come in to it, as long as you can get your
leg over the seat.
I'm 64, got two Blackbirds and just bought a new ZZR1400, for my "retirement" !!!
Honda never made a bike to replace the Blackbird

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi JTY50.
I recently went through a phase where I was thinking about selling my Bird. My main issue was that I wanted something more comfortable, lighter and with better handling. I posted a thread and asked the folks here "What they liked about the Honda Blackbird?", in the hope they could talk my out of selling it. At the same time, there was a guy at work who was saying "just sell it and buy the bike you want", when I told him about having to pay for new suspension and other upgrades. Add to this the fact that we are so spoiled for choice these days with motorbikes, then there is a lot of reasons to consider selling your Bird.
Since then, I have had a change of heart/opinion, due partly to the amazing people here, but also because I now feel that selling motorbikes may be a mistake. This is because, I feel that I would be selling off a piece of my story/history in exchange for a bit of cash. To me that is not a fair exchange as I would loose too much. I would loose what one of the posters said above, "it makes me feel like I'm 20 when I ride it". That's not something money can buy, in my humble opinion.
Aside of the feelings, I would suggest that our bikes reflect parts of our present and past selves. Our identity is entwined with these machines. If this sounds a bit wanky, maybe think about what goes into making a decision about what bike to buy. We are drawn to objects that reflect aspects of ourselves. For example, my XR, with it's knobbly tyres, tight suspension and firely throttle response, reflects my personality and love of the Australian Bush (forest). It reminds me to take risks in life and jump into opportunitues as they arise. I could go on about how it makes me feel emotionally because it is a larger version of the QR 50 I had as a kid but I'm sure you are catching my drift. In short, the relationship between man/woman and machine seems to defy logic, and, in that way, commodification. Money can be exchanged for our things but is it right to sell off part of ourselves (or former selves)? I just can't bring myself to do it anymore and it's a relief! I don't sell my bikes, I keep them. They are a part of my story and express who I am, what I've done and where I've come from. It would be like selling a family photo album, something that is deeply personal and priceless.

If you don't feel sentimental like me about your Bird and are happy to sell it, I would still hold onto it because the early carb versions are (supposedly) becoming collectable. This is because they are old, cool, fast and limited. You may find that it is worth more to a collector or museum in the next 10-20 years or so. I will be leaving my bikes to my kids, which is another option for you to consider if you have them. In the meantime my Bird will be riden fast like it was intended, kept in immaculate condition and displayed proudly in the garage along with all the other things I love.
Thanks mate
Nato 😃.

·
Premium Member
1998 CBR1100XX
7 Posts
Well, obviously the choice is yours to make and there's no wrong answer for you. BUT, as the original owner of a 2000 VFR I can tell you that it will be a cold day in hell before I sell that bike. Simply, my VFR is worth more to me than anyone else would be willing to pay me for it. My recommendation is to wait to make a decision on selling until you move to NC in retirement. It sounds llike you're about to have a lot more time to ride, and a whole new area of great riding to ride the Blackbird in.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A '97 XX near (OEM) stock, with only 10,800 miles is already well within the collectible zone - especially if you've still got the OEM cans and windscreen stashed away somewhere. If you're patient, it (and most well-maintained, near OEM examples) will appreciate (albeit likely at a modest pace, dependent on the regional market). Comparatively speaking, keeping it - and the associated memories it can trigger - is a minimal cost option vs expenses related to the acquisition a new bike, increased insurance, etc.

Perhaps more importantly, how it makes you feel, especially post-retirement, is not to be underestimated. Just having it there, in your garage, can engender moments of nostalgic reminiscence that are among the sweetest of satisfaction.
Do whatever is right for you . . . the only person you really have to please is yourself.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,220 Posts
Hi JTY50.
I recently went through a phase where I was thinking about selling my Bird. My main issue was that I wanted something more comfortable, lighter and with better handling. I posted a thread and asked the folks here "What they liked about the Honda Blackbird?", in the hope they could talk my out of selling it. At the same time, there was a guy at work who was saying "just sell it and buy the bike you want", when I told him about having to pay for new suspension and other upgrades. Add to this the fact that we are so spoiled for choice these days with motorbikes, then there is a lot of reasons to consider selling your Bird.
Since then, I have had a change of heart/opinion, due partly to the amazing people here, but also because I now feel that selling motorbikes may be a mistake. This is because, I feel that I would be selling off a piece of my story/history in exchange for a bit of cash. To me that is not a fair exchange as I would loose too much. I would loose what one of the posters said above, "it makes me feel like I'm 20 when I ride it". That's not something money can buy, in my humble opinion.
Aside of the feelings, I would suggest that our bikes reflect parts of our present and past selves. Our identity is entwined with these machines. If this sounds a bit wanky, maybe think about what goes into making a decision about what bike to buy. We are drawn to objects that reflect aspects of ourselves. For example, my XR, with it's knobbly tyres, tight suspension and firely throttle response, reflects my personality and love of the Australian Bush (forest). It reminds me to take risks in life and jump into opportunitues as they arise. I could go on about how it makes me feel emotionally because it is a larger version of the QR 50 I had as a kid but I'm sure you are catching my drift. In short, the relationship between man/woman and machine seems to defy logic, and, in that way, commodification. Money can be exchanged for our things but is it right to sell off part of ourselves (or former selves)? I just can't bring myself to do it anymore and it's a relief! I don't sell my bikes, I keep them. They are a part of my story and express who I am, what I've done and where I've come from. It would be like selling a family photo album, something that is deeply personal and priceless.

If you don't feel sentimental like me about your Bird and are happy to sell it, I would still hold onto it because the early carb versions are (supposedly) becoming collectable. This is because they are old, cool, fast and limited. You may find that it is worth more to a collector or museum in the next 10-20 years or so. I will be leaving my bikes to my kids, which is another option for you to consider if you have them. In the meantime my Bird will be riden fast like it was intended, kept in immaculate condition and displayed proudly in the garage along with all the other things I love.
Thanks mate
Nato .
I gave my ST1300 to my son as a wedding present. They both love it. I may give my original first new bike (1984 Standard Goldwing) to my 15 yr old when he starts to ride. I've only sold one bike. Well said.

Reactions: Nato

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,220 Posts
"Just having it there, in your garage, can engender moments of nostalgic reminiscence that are among the sweetest of satisfaction"

I try to express this to my wife and others... a lot don't get it! Bravo!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I gave my ST1300 to my son as a wedding present. They both love it. I may give my original first new bike (1984 Standard Goldwing) to my 15 yr old when he starts to ride. I've only sold one bike. Well said.

Thank you XXGUY.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gents - I am the original & only owner of a 1997 Blackbird (CARB Model). The bike is 100% stock with the exception of a pair of Micron Cans & a tinted Zero Gravity Windscreen with 10,800 miles on XX. The bike has always been garaged kept & has never been on the ground. I do not ride as much as I use to because of age 63 & location (NJ). Plus I will be moving late next year to retire in NC. The last couple of years the bike has only been out a couple of times because I was taking care of elderly/sick parents. It's not fair to just sit in the garage under a cover & not be used & enjoyed

Do I sell the BB or hold? Please provide me with your thoughts? If I sell, how much could I get for the XX?

Thanks,

JTY50

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks,

JTY50

I have a 98 Carby with 2100 miles last Sunday I rode over to the seaside, thats the coast in the US,my mates where on a 2015 busa and a 2003 gsx1400, we did some jail sentence speeds as well as some windy coast roads and the bird held her own, no daft electronics to hinder either,,,, I love my bird

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks,

JTY50

You’re getting a lot of answers to hold onto it. Which I would recommend as well. However if you make the decision to let it go, I’m in the market for one. I have a 97 Carbie as well with 15k miles, unfortunately the previous owner left it in the weather. That’s why I’m looking for a nicer one.👌

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks,

JTY50

I am 60 and keeping mine. I am moving interstate from Perth WA to Mackay QLD. I sold my DR650SE but my 2nd Blackbird 06 model is here for life. I don't think I will ever part with it. I am 6.2 and this bike feels like it is made for me. 20210708_121419.jpg 20210708_121321.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm turning 64 this month and going to take a early retirement and move to Idaho. No way am I going to give up my bird. I got lots of riding left in me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am 62, have wanted a blackbird for over 20 years. Just found a 2001, original owner (great guy), and 7200 miles. I paid $7500.00 and drove over 1200 miles to pick it up. I haven't been able to ride it yet (Las Vegas heat of over 110) but I do sit and look at it everyday. I also own a couple of Harleys, and have had many bikes. This is the only one I will keep forever. Did I mention the previous owner put it up for sale over 3 years ago, and it took me this long to get him to let go of it. It was worth the wait. And he knows it went to another great owner. Unless you are really hurting for the money, keep it, it is like a family member. Cheers.
2001-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts