Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post and yes I did search the forum first. I have a 2000 FI bird and was riding on the highway this afternoon at about 85mph when my low oil light randomly lit up and my bike immediately lost all power and died while I was riding. I pulled off to the side of the road and she was dripping oil and I had oil all over my case and the exhaust pipe under my brake lever. I had just checked the oil level the night before and I had perfect oil level before the ride. The oil dipstick was bone dry upon inspection and the bike refused to even attempt starting. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on but it won’t even try to crank when I hit the start switch…. Silence. Does this bike have a low/no oil auto shutdown sensor or anything? It did not sound or feel like I blew the bike up, no smoke show or noises. I’m guessing I blew a gasket and the oil drained but I’m no mechanic. Anyone have any input on what might have happened or how I should go about inspecting it to find out?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
There is no low oil shutdown.
You may have somehow punctured the oil filter or perhaps damaged the sump from road debris or even a prior loading/unloading incident of the bike onto a truck/trailer. Oil will be blown all over from the wind.
Best of luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Time to take the fairing side covers off for an inspection, and check your oil lines to the oil cooler, and the pipe on the lower right side of the block. I haven't heard that one before though.
Also if you take the round inspection cover off on the right side front cover and put a socket and wrench on it to see if you can turn the engine round clock wise, make sure it's in neutral first.
Good luck.

·
Administrator
12,988 Posts
Just a guess but one of the oil cooler lines has split and dumped the oil.
That would be my guess as well.
FWIW you can inspect these lines without fairing removal, if one has gone there will almost certainly be oil on the fairing inners and on the front of the block.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you can't rotate the engine by hand once cooled (don't use excessive force), remove the plugs before you try again. A few squirts of light oil into the cylinders may help free stuck rings; but, if it's truly seized up, you're looking at a fairly comprehensive tear-down & rebuild.

·
Registered
581 Posts
:unsure:....... Whatever happened, happened fast!

The oil light coming on and the motor seizing almost immediately indicates a sudden and catastrophic loss of oil from somewhere.

This is not normal on any bike, but we are all very interested now that you've had the issue, so please pull the skirts off and find the source - it may be something we need to check on our ageing fleet of BB's........ Photo's please ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts