Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this bike from my brother in law about 4 months ago and everything has been smooth til now. i notice my bike smoking the other day when i started it. It appears to be a small fropplet of oil on the pan but the leak is probably higher becaosue it is coming from the right side of the bike if you were sitting on it. I am not very mechanically gifted so anything like this bothers me greatly. any ideas on wht to look for? I can take off the fairing and tank but when it comes to the engine i am lost. any helpful comments would be welcomed. thanks ryders!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got this bike from my brother in law about 4 months ago and everything has been smooth til now. i notice my bike smoking the other day when i started it. It appears to be a small fropplet of oil on the pan but the leak is probably higher becaosue it is coming from the right side of the bike if you were sitting on it. I am not very mechanically gifted so anything like this bothers me greatly. any ideas on wht to look for? I can take off the fairing and tank but when it comes to the engine i am lost. any helpful comments would be welcomed. thanks ryders!!
Oops forgot to spell check

·
Railin'
672 Posts
First suggestion would be to ascertain EXACTLY where on the engine the oil is leaking from. So, remove the lower fairing (both sides) and using a torch where necessary, check the entire engine for any sign of oil leak.

When you have found where the oil is coming from, let us know, and we can tell you what is required to fix it.
Aussie to American translation: Use a flashlight not a torch

Unless of course Paul means to have you locate the leak by watching where it sets on fire... :rotfl:

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Aussie to American translation: Use a flashlight not a torch

Unless of course Paul means to have you locate the leak by watching where it sets on fire... :rotfl:

Good god....a big :plus1: on that one.

But yes, Nutter speaks the truth. Remove the side fairing, and have a good look at the stator cover. If there is oil all over the place, get a rag and clean the whole cover really good, then with it up on the center stand, start it up, let it run untill you hear your cooling fan start up, then shut the bike off. Lay on the floor and carefully watch the cover to see where the oil might be coming from.

Mind you, don't just look at the very bottom because the cover gasket can leak up higher, and then the oil will run down along the edge to the bottom and fool you.

I guess that it really doesn't matter, because if you see any oil at all, that will mean the the cover is leaking period.

A side note here, also check the rubber sealing plug for your stator wires...oil can leak from here as well, although it sits high enough up the cover that I doubt it would leak there while sitting.

So, if you see oil, get out your tool kit, and find the allan wrench that properly fits the bolts holding the cover on. I don't have time to look right now, but I believe there are something like 8 of them. Now, using your allen wrench, check that all of the bolts are tight. If you find some that are very loose compaired to others, then this could be your problem. If so, tighten them all the same, and then repeat the leak test again. TIP> only use one hand to tighten these bolts....no, you don't need to know how many inch pounds the manual calls for, just don't tighten them like they are holding the earth itself together....Ok ?

If none are found to be loose, and you still have a leak. Then guess what....thats right, you are going to change the gasket.....and your going to do it yourself. But lets cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

Keep us posted.

Lois

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
It could also be excess chain lube leaking down from behind the front sprocket cover.

·
Fastest snail on Earth
459 Posts
dun forget to check the oil cooler tubing too

·
Registered
551 Posts
My bro had a leak on his BB. He thought it might be a head gasket. He would get oil on his left boot after a ride. He oils the crap out of his chain so he thought it might be that, it turned out to be neither of those things. There is a gasket on each spark plug hole between the top end and the engine. One of those gaskets was malfunctioning. He replaced the bad one and the oil leak was gone.

·
Just call me Mike
4,430 Posts
It could also be excess chain lube leaking down from behind the front sprocket cover.
i have this problem right now, i accidently over lubed my chain and now a thick oil like substance is dripping from my side stand.... now i see why they say to turn the wheel in reverse and spray the top of the chain... anyway my point being, thinking it was oil i checked everywhere, even smelled it but it didn't have a smell... and my oil has a slight exhaust smell to it... plus even dirty oil when you smear it on a towel will turn slightly smoked amber colour, but not thick dirty chain oil, its just straight black through and through....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts