Honda CBR XX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Deadman this is a catastrophic failure of a cct. Usually the spring does not break, it just loosens up too much and the noise, albeit similar, is much much quieter. ;)

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
I have never heard a broken one before,

I dont want to hear that noise again,

A noise like that is usually big bucks, in any engine,

Glad it was fixed so easily,

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
Firstly can those videos were so useful RMLarson, full credit to you for getting them online :clap:

deadman said:
A noise like that is usually big bucks, in any engine,
have to agree, you can imagine the reaction when my newly built motor let out that (or very similar) sound on the dyno!
I agree with Chris that this thread shows a catastrophic failure, normally the sound does build over time but these things can happen as my CCT failure showed, that one was less than a year old and had less than 1000 miles on it. Guess I found the limit!
I didn't notice my first ever CCT failure starting, I always ride with ear plugs in and the motor isn't normally started until helmet is attached - picked up the rattle when I rode the bike back into the garage having given it a wash down.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Wooohooo - can't wait to get the new CCT from John Jaws... :) trallaa llaaaa "happy song"

read a little other treads about installing it, but theres different types.. manual and automatic - and I maybe "because I not that good at technical english" I can't always understand what is the key essens when installing a manual CCT. Mayby you guys will guide me to a tread on whit this info?
/René

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
When you receive it there will be a metal key in the back of it, you may be tempted to remove or play with it... DONT....

Remove only when the CCT is fitted...

You will only have to find a screwdriver to "unscrew" the tensioner piston and put the key back in if you do....

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Ugly, Rene asks about "the key" on a manual CCT. ;)
Well, on manual CCTs, there is NO key! No need for one!
The manual CCT instaed of the plunger and the spring, it uses a bolt and a nut to tension the camchain.
So no "key" there... ;)

On the manual CCT, you adjust the bolt, by screwing it in, to tension the chain. When you reach the desired tension, you lock the nut up against the body of the CCT, holding the bolt secure.

Hope this explains it for you Rene. How long did John(Jaws) say for delivery? He is usually VERY accurate. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
- I think it might be in the mail tomorrow :)
So what I do is bolt it on "out of the box" and adjust the bolt til it stop rattling?
/R

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
No man NO! :p
On the new part, there will be a key like a tab. Do not pull it out yet.
1. Install the CCT on the bike with the 2 allen bolts. Fit the new gasket and the crush washers under the allen bolts.
2. When the CCT is installed, pull out the key. You will hear the spring release on the inside.
3. Fit the bolt with the washr on to the CCT, where you removed the key.

DONE!
:)

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Ugly, Rene asks about "the key" on a manual CCT. ;)
Chris I think you translated rene's comment differently to what i got...

I can't always understand what is the key essens when installing a manual CCT. Mayby you guys will guide me to a tread on whit this info?
/René
My translation of this is

I can't always understand what is the key essence when installing a manual CCT. Mayby you guys will guide me to a tread on whit this info? Meaning is there any important things i should know... I dont think his comment has anything to do with the key at all I was just giving him a heads up..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
exactly Ugly!

- I think I owe it to this tread to make a good video on have to install the new CCT from Jaws.

And I naturally whan´t this video to be 100 % "good" because the CCT is apprently a comen problem for oure belovede BB´s.
SO I am reading through my manual and Haynes book - so I can do the mount in the right way.
So pitch in whit tips and tricks on installing and ajusting it - so we get this video rocking, and help others not hitting the buttom as I did... :)

/R

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
There is no adjustment .. install and pull the key and then put the screw in the end...

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
Well Mr Happy that sounds like a whole new Bike, really pleased for you :thumb:

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Hey great video there man!
Thanks for sharing it bud. :)

I think the cct fix is one of the most satisfying ones, as when it goes bad the bike sounds horrible. But 50euros later and voila! RESULT!
Cant argue with that!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Phew!!!! It's sorted:clap::dance:

As others have said thanks Larson for the video. For someone like me who is pretty useless mechanically having a video so I can actually see what needs to be done is soooooo helpful:thumb:.

If we all do this perhaps this could be the start of the most comprehensive online video tutorial for maintaining and repairing our beloved birds :eyebrows:, what do you think folks.

I could contribute classic videos such as 'How to take all the nuts and bolts off your bird and forget where they came from :idunno:' or 'How to undo two bolts, replace the Reg/Rec and replace the two bolts'.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Thanks for the Video, I am just about to replace mine, it will make it so much easier for me to do it,

I am glad those horrible expensive noises are gone,

I hope you dont mind, But I put the Vid up on my Facebook page so others can see it,

Thanks again for the Video.
Cheers,
Brian,

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Yep i am working on my second that has just started the same sound again. First time mine went I had a Dodge cummins diesel setting next to me at a light. So I thought it was him because as my rpm went up it went quiet. Put the old one I had on and the noise went away so I knew it was the tensioner.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts