Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys..

As the titel saysss ohh noo - I started my whitebird today about an hour ago - and the temperature went up to normal, and suddenly it started making a really terrible sound.... as something was really wrong and I quickly shut it off and let it cool off. I tried starting it again and the sound was still there...... :(:(:( .... maybe it was the cam chain or valves... i don't know... but it sounded bad... the filter and oil is brand-new..

I don't know where to start looking ore what to do... where would you guys start looking and what should I do...?

hope you can help... me ... right now the mood is really low...

/René

·
Registered
117 Posts
Larson, don't get too down my friend. The guys on here will give you some good help I'm sure, everyone here is wanting you to get this fantastic looking white bird going. Have a think about how you might be able to describe in detail what sort of noises it was making etc. Sorry I can't help with info, i'm just not techy minded but this forum is great for help like this. Try and keep positive:thumb::thumb:.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just started it again - and the "bad" sound was still there. The engine sounds to run okay on all 4 cylinders..... but it really docent sound good... damm..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Larson, don't get too down my friend. The guys on here will give you some good help I'm sure, everyone here is wanting you to get this fantastic looking white bird going. Have a think about how you might be able to describe in detail what sort of noises it was making etc. Sorry I can't help with info, i'm just not techy minded but this forum is great for help like this. Try and keep positive:thumb::thumb:.
Hi Grizzly
Thank you for the trying to cheer me up... :)

It is really difficult to describe the sound... maybe like a bearing gone bad... it sounds to come from the front of the bike (from the cylinders) but it runs okay taking the trottle and it is not getting hot.

/rené

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Try to hold the revs to 4k rpm and record that to.
Then also record some idling and some higher revs man.
Could be something as simple (and cheap) as a CamChain Tensioner (CCT).. ;)

·
knowie
551 Posts
sounds like u put the dipstick in wrong but it is somethin to check doesnt sound like cct to me

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like u put the dipstick in wrong but it is somethin to check doesnt sound like cct to me
Hi keith - tanks for the response.... :)
I have checked the dipstick will checking the oil level - and it looks okay.
/René

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
You have done nothing major to the bike except change oil and filter?

I suspect a loose CCT, check it hasn't come undone .... I would also take it off and check it over and make sure it has not broken inside.

I had an oil filter on a car sound like that once .... the welds holding the material inside it had all broken and it was spinning ....

Does the noise stop if you pull the clutch in?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have not done anything to the engine - except a new oil cooler, haven't tried to pull the clutch in - I will do that tomorrow morning... hmmm guess I won't get to much sleep tonight .... :-/

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Sound increases on the right side so +1 on the CCT

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if it was the CCT would the sound come suddenly - ore will it build up?
the bike was running for good 10 min. and normal operating temperature when the sound came suddenly - and in the few min. it have been running whit this sound it hasn't change...

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Hmmmm...
You either have a completely failed cct (have seen one before) or the dipstick might be bent.
I'd take a look at the dipstick first, as in now!
But even the cct is a 10 min job to check.
Maybe then you can get some rest man!

Remove the right hand fairing, take the 2 allen bolts that hold it in place and remove it to inspect.
A pic of it would be helpfull too. ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
elvetost said:
I have seen CCTs fail completely in one go before.
Yes, it could have failed.
Sounds like my motor when we hit 9000 and 200bhp on the dyno! CCT failure was the cause!

Don't think it was my imagination but the rattle didn't increase in speed as the bike was given a few revs which to me suggests something more simple (as above) rather than a valve/bearing related issue.​

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys - well didn't get much sleep last night ... :-/

But I am ready to work on the bike again this afternoon
- where I will try and take som pictures off the oil stick and remove the CCT.

"Hmmm wondering howe to skip work so I can come home to my sick bird..."

/R

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Your right, Duck, The rattle stays at a constant speed, Fan hitting radiator, stone stuck in it,

What else in the Bird's motor keeps the same speed rattle when revved up.

CCT, the speed of the rattle would accelerate when revved, would it not, ??????? Cam Chain is accelerating.

Hang in there R, we will get if fixed for you, All the Guru's havent started on it yet, There are quite a few on here,

You dont have to start it again, That Video was plentifull on information,

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
deadman said:
CCT, the speed of the rattle would accelerate when revved, would it not, ??????? Cam Chain is accelerating.
yes I was thinking that as well, but if the chain was flapping and hitting the guide (or the inside of the block) which in turn was hammering the CCT plunger the speed of the chain would not matter simply the fore and aft movement. Not my most convincing argument ever but the only one I can make when all that has been carried out on the motor is an oil change ........ I'm relying more on my experience with my motor on the dyno, first thoughts were 's..t this is terminal' closely followed by 'hide from shrapnel' ...... the sound appeared to be coming from the head but I'm not actually certain what the points of contact were.

Whilst I like the 'dipstick hitting the clutch' idea my thoughts are that this would have speeded up as revs were added ...... but as always I would be really pleased to be proved wrong!

Reactions: RMLarsen
1 - 20 of 86 Posts