Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to fall into the mis-communication trap. (True story - happened just this morning).

I’m upstairs on the computer when my wife calls up, “MOT’s have been suspended. It’s just been announced on Sky News!” The Blackbird’s due for its MOT 3rd April, but I thought about what my wife had said for about one tenth of a Nano-second before calling back to her, “How long have they been suspended for?” – because I’m the cautious type and I like to get my facts straight before I spring into any sort of action. “Six months” came the reply, “Six months from 30th March”.

“Shit!” I’m on the phone right away to my regular MOT station. I’ll have to be quick, because the rest of the world will be doing the same thing, right now! I’m surprised when my call is answered almost immediately, but I can hear the buzz of conversation in the background and the female voice sounds slightly harassed as she asks, “How can I help?”. “I’d like to book an MOT for my bike, earliest date possible, please.” “Oh,” she says, “we’ve been really busy this morning, everybody’s calling us!” With my booking confirmed I laugh with relief and explain that “MOT’s have been suspended for six months, that’s probably why you’ve been getting so many calls."

There’s a silence, then she asks me to hang on because they haven’t heard anything about “suspension periods” and the little, tiny alarm bell at the back of my mind ratchets up a notch. She’s back: “Which news programme did you hear that from?” “Sky News, just a few minutes ago”. She’s gone again, then she’s back, thanking me for the information and they’ll look into it. I hang up and go downstairs for an eye-to-eye conversation with the Mrs.

“I’ve just booked the Blackbird in for its MOT. I’ll be taking it in tomorrow at 9am.” “Cancel it, you don’t need to.” came the instant reply. “What?” “Cancel it – if you haven’t got an MOT it won’t matter. MOT’s have been suspended from 30th March – I’ve just told you!” There’s a lo-ong pause before I ask: “What, exactly, did they say about this MOT thing?” “That the requirement for an MOT would be suspended for six months from 30th March!” There’s a sharper note in her voice, now, which I’m careful not to match, because I know that I’m the one who’s fucked-up.

“So, I can still get an MOT, but if I don’t need one before 30th March, I won’t need one for six months. MOT testing has not been suspended, but the requirement for an MOT certificate will be suspended from 30th March”. “Yes; that’s what I told you in the first place!

I return to my computer, pick up my phone and call the testing station to cancel, to explain, and to apologise.

End.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So in 6 months there will be 2x the volume of customers for MOT stations? Why not just delay tests for 1 year for those affected during "lockdown"?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The trouble is, I take my bike to a little engineering shop that has a motorcycle MOT license. MOTs make up the vast majority of his business ( no repairs ) so I feel sorry for him as basically he is going to have no customers for six months.
I am not complaining myself but it puts a perspective on it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ok, but I wasn't thinking of the small shops who hopefully will be given assistance to tide them over, but the millions of car drivers who will be jamming the MOT centers at 2x the regular numbers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So potentially 20 million un roadworthy vehicles will be on the road
Why not just scrap it totally...?
Freaking joke.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cars don't suddenly become unroadworthy because a piece of paper expires.
And that bit of paper doesn't ensure that it is roadworthy 6 months later. Or even the next day.

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes it is a bit of a nonsense really, but I am sure your vehicle by law has to be at MOT pass standards at all times ? One good thing, my cars tax,servicing,insurance and MOT all fall at the same time,so this will ease the finances a bit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you get stopped by the police for whatever reason, your vehicle will still have to be roadworthy.
I don't think the fact that the MOT's have been furloughed, it will stop you getting done.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update: I got an early call from the MOT test station this morning. Both of their bike testers went into self-isolation yesterday, so no bike testing for the next 2-3 weeks. Sounds like the test station will have close its doors soon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ok, surprise me. In any event, after some quick web research looks like 90% of car accidents are caused by human error, not faulty equipment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You would be surprised at the nr of unroadworthy cars there are on the roads
Chipping in from Denmark - to get a little bit of outside perspective on the matter of expired MOTs vs roadworthiness.

Danish authorities execute a system similar to MOT - we call it 'syn', meaning an inspection of the vehicle by accredited personnel. Lifts, hammers, crowbars, inspection lights, that sort of thing...
For cars newer than 8 years it's every fourth year. 8 years and up is's every 2 years. And when you get to 30ish years, vehicle becomes vintage and syn is extended to 8 years interval.
Logical, right? But still doesn't guarantee roadworthiness per se.

For bikes, it's a different thing. Here, the bike must be synet on acquisition. But only if it's more than one year ago it was last synet.
Now, give that a bit of thought.
Imagine I buy a new bike in october. Come next september (11 months), I sell it on. So does next owner, and next, and next... Twelfth owner decides to keep the bike and takes good care of it for two decades. How many times has the bike been taken to syn?
I believe the underlying logic is that motorcyclists take better care of their ride. They're enthusiasts... Cars are for the masses, majority of drivers being clueless about all things automotive and thus in need of forced supervision.

But is this indeed the case? Bikers being all enthusiastic about maintenance and tincan drivers being mostly oblivious about the issue?

Let's take a look at ourselves as bikers (leaving the car issue for another day): How often have you had the MOT man point out stuff you should've found yourself?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Testing stations will be open for business during the suspension period.

I can’t imagine that they’ll be open for business but not doing MoT’s!

"Announcing the changes, Transport Secretary (clicky) Grant Shapps said: “Given the circumstances I'm granting an MoT temporary exemption so that if your MoT is due from 30 March 2020 you will automatically receive a six-month extension. However, you must still keep your car in a roadworthy condition and garages will remain open if you need repairs.”

·
Registered
424 Posts
stormbringer. re: motorcycle MOT. Maybe the thinking is not that bikers are enthusiastic about maintenance, but that the vast majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by human error. Chasing bikers for every last MOT will not move the needle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
in belgium its every year as of the 3rd year in service an via a govt inspection facility with totally automated process and datalogging so no way to fiddle past
in the uk if you know your local mot guy well you can slip past with minor errors
but in belgium there is no mot for motorbikes ...ever
the reasoning being is that if you take your life in your hands to ride one you have already checked it out
this generally works well
except for my next door neighbor who rides bikes and goes to the spotty teenager honda dealer mechanic who forgot to tighten the wheel bolts in a vfr...
go figure...

·
Registered
48 Posts
but in belgium there is no mot for motorbikes ...ever
Wow. With that out of the way, how is your reality regarding driver's license maintenance. I'm advocating this instead of periodic MoT, as it addresses a more fundamental issue. Well-trained motorists won't go driving/riding crappy hardware. Simple, but - I believe - true.
...the spotty teenager honda dealer mechanic who forgot to tighten the wheel bolts in a vfr...
Once we* had a 'company revolver'. Fellow employees acting sufficiently silly were threatened with being shot, using the company revolver. This mechanic is a getting-shot contender, dare I say.
*) This is a metaphor. Danes don't do revolvers. In fact, being seen with one in public gets you arrested.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe the thinking is not that bikers are enthusiastic about maintenance, but that the vast majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by human error. Chasing bikers for every last MOT will not move the needle.
Exactly the same thinking could be applied to car drivers - human error being the prime culprit. Yet, in Denmark, it isn't. I'm wondering why. Your non-danish view on things would be much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts