Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run into major problems. First the throttle cables went So I ordered new ones. While I was at that I tried to clean up my slave cylinder rod clutch. It has been barely working. So turns out seal in the slave cylinder went out.I finally got a kit for it as well as master cylinders matching clutch and brake. While I was messing with the clutch , I ran out to get dot 4 fluid . I come back to find my bike had fallen off the jack causev the fkn jack bled off. Cracked my right side fairing it also spilled brake fluid all over the place. So I stand bike up and get soap and water and give her a bath. Rinse her off and started to rinse of driveway, I turn around and she is smoking . Electrical fire. Undid battery and all stopped. It was coming from under the seat.
So today I see if she starts....the starter will work if key is off not on. The clock and nuetral light stay on with key off, but turn off when key is on.

Check fuses and notice s bare wire. The wire turns out to be the dark green and red wire. By the way, there is no diode in the fuse box. The bike however never had issue.

Anyway, I'm tracing this green/rednwire that seems to be going to solenoid and poof....

I've lost all power everywhere. Battery is charged....check fuses...nothing wrong. So I look and find out about this fuse on solenoid. Well....mine doesn't have any fuse there.. just a regular solenoid with 2 big wires and two small.

The clutch works at least...got it fixed after 2 weeks...but now I still can ride..

Where do I start? This is my only source transportation and people can't pick me up for work everyday

IMG_20210425_201706.jpg

·
Registered
911 Posts
Can you tell where the smoke was coming from? I am guessing the starter relay. I would jump it with 12v + ground wires for a test.
Bike fell over, something was jarred out of place, or you had bare wiring that is now touching. Check ALL fuses.
It is troubling that you do not have a clutch diode. Anyway, make sure sidestand is up, bike in neutral with green light showing and pull in the clutch lever for good measure (shouldn't have to do this last one) and push the starter button.
Is there evidence of non factory wiring from previous owner, such as an alarm system?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you tell where the smoke was coming from? I am guessing the starter relay. I would jump it with 12v + ground wires for a test.
Bike fell over, something was jarred out of place, or you had bare wiring that is now touching. Check ALL fuses.
It is troubling that you do not have a clutch diode. Anyway, make sure sidestand is up, bike in neutral with green light showing and pull in the clutch lever for good measure (shouldn't have to do this last one) and push the starter button.
Is there evidence of non factory wiring from previous owner, such as an alarm system?
Well, yea this bike has been thru many hands that and not treated nicely. The solenoid doesn't have the "master" fuse. All other fuses are good. The smoke was coming from under the seat and one wire going to fuse box was totally bare. The only color wire not accounted for is the green and red wire. None of the safety start stuff ever worked.

Im not sure if the fall Jared anything as much as I think I was a bit aggressive with the water hose. The boot that has all the plugs under the tank had water in it and multiple plugs were wet. I dried them out, cleaned them and sprayed lil bit wd40. Waited for them to dry before I plugged back together.

Something is telling me that the key switch or main ground went bad. I have another new key switch I'm going to swap out. It has a alternative button for starter switch. Wierd it would start with key off, but not key on. I'm sure the wiring engineering on this bike was done by people that couldn't plug a toaster in the wall.

Sucks as this whole time I've had her she been missing and I just put the new coils on and got the throttle fixed... And haven't been able to ride as the clutch was not right.

I really didnt see all the problems this bike had when I bought her. The brake and clutch levers were off another bikr. The rear wheel and brakes came off something else. It had been crashed more than I thought. Someone actually siliconed the crank case cover....and it held. I've done quite a bit, and got more to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts