Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

This dastardly bike is such a bore. I have owned it for less than 3 years and it is (once again) not charging the battery. 5K RPM, 11.2v, new battery etc etc. This will be its 4[SUP]th[/SUP] stator ring and its 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] reg rec (yes it has even been hard wired).
I think I may fix it once more and move it on as it is clearly an Achilles heel. I won’t be particularly happy to but when you begin adding up (£92.99 for a stator, £12.95 for a gasket, £2.00 for some mastic, £92.99 for a reg rec) the cost of doing it more than once a year, I may as well put the cash towards a ZZR1400.

Duck will doubtless hold the solution (as I am sure many others do) but it is the thing that consistently fails on this bike.

Bigger reg rec?
Different stator?
Different bike?

Cheers ‘en,

F.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Fouex - what reg/rec you using? Stator? Had a few issues myself. Now using a rewound one from West Country Windings and a SH847 reg/rec. You need a Mosfet FH020AA type. Be careful of the cheap ones from EBay, fake.
28061228_1538934439509515_7064573605708500262_o (Custom).jpg

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Foeux
Reliable stator builders can be an issue went through a similar situation years back. Either Factory (ouch) or this gent Ricks Motorsport Electrics have served me very well. As ade has alluded switch up to t a MOSFET R/R at the very least. and be careful of knockoffs there as well. I've always sourced mine from Jack's Roadstercycle.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Foeux
Reliable stator builders can be an issue went through a similar situation years back. Either Factory (ouch) or this gent Ricks Motorsport Electrics have served me very well. As ade has alluded switch up to t a MOSFET R/R at the very least. and be careful of knockoffs there as well. I've always sourced mine from Jack's Roadstercycle.
Bees, got my reg/rec from Jacks. good piece of kit and the next step up from the MOSFET FH020AA. Will need relocating though due to the size of it, at least on mine.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Yep had to do the same with the 2 I mounted one on my youngest's and mine. Chose to remove the jumper harness they put in the later BB's for couple reasons. 1st was didn't want the extra wire and connector resistance. Wire not so much but the extra connections bothered me. 2nd it allowed us to move the remote reservoir for the Ohlins up into the body well pocket instead of in the package tray.

20170709_211555.jpg 20170709_133515.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,560 Posts
I'm feeling guilty here!
The stator that has obviously failed was my 'spare'. This originated from JAWS but predated the batch that they had issues with so I thought it would be fine, obviously not.

Are you certain that the reg/rec has failed Foeux? My initial thought is to cut the soldered joints and simply replace the ring. If I remember correctly we replaced your reg/rec with the later JAWS item, I've been running one of these since 2014 and not had any issues. Checking my service record shows (saying this very quietly) I haven't had any charging issues since then.

You know where I am Foeux if you want any help …..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bees, got my reg/rec from Jacks. good piece of kit and the next step up from the MOSFET FH020AA. Will need relocating though due to the size of it, at least on mine.
Got a link?

I reckon I'll go with a west country windings stator and see if the reg rec I have is still alive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm feeling guilty here!
The stator that has obviously failed was my 'spare'. This originated from JAWS but predated the batch that they had issues with so I thought it would be fine, obviously not.

Are you certain that the reg/rec has failed Foeux? My initial thought is to cut the soldered joints and simply replace the ring. If I remember correctly we replaced your reg/rec with the later JAWS item, I've been running one of these since 2014 and not had any issues. Checking my service record shows (saying this very quietly) I haven't had any charging issues since then.

You know where I am Foeux if you want any help …..
Pete,

Might take you up on this soon as currently it is a plug-in hybrid of the least pleasing type.

Foeux
Having a look later at what they have.

·
Registered
176 Posts
G'day Foeux...... I've got the 2005 BB and it fried a stator coil at 77k kms - I had that rewound locally with heavier wiring and that was the end of that. My reg/rect is oem and has been on since new so it is 14 years old (130,000kms)..... but it has much heavier wiring and fins than the earlier BB's....... definitely replace with a HD reg/rect..... if you know another BB driver with an 02 or later model, lift the seat and have a look - that was the first thing my cousin the bike mechanic did when I rode into his shop to show off my brand new BB, and he said "well they sure fixed that"........

One other thing that may have helped me...... i replace my battery regularly...... I check it's cold starting volts as it gets to 2 years old (here in Aus we don't have your brutal winters.... so you may need to test sooner - or fit a dash mounted voltmeter)........ once the 1st start volts read under 10v, it means the battery is on the way out....... and once it reads under 9.5v at cold 1st start, it's time to replace it urgently.......... i get by with cheaper brands that last 2 years and only cost $90Au..... but you may need a good Lithium to combat the cold temps (?) ;)

It is important to let the battery rest off the trickle charger for 12 hrs to do this ccv test...... that way you will know the true condition of your battery..... otherwise, just replace every 2yrs.

There's a very interesting post on here from 2006(?) explaining what goes on with the charging system...... and Honda was very remiss to put such weak components into their earlier models, until 2002 when they must have fired the engineer, and a new guy decided enough complaints was enough :clap:.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same boat replaced the Stator and Reg/Rec with a Mosfet FH020AA but alas I didn't know about the ebay knock offs and sure enough after a spirited run after 3 weeks of babying it. It failed yet again.
Wife says throw it away and get something else.
It's not that it's expensive to fix it's just leaves me stranded it's just not reliable. Everything else about the bike I love but this is just a nuisance.
Anyhow I am trying to find in AUS were I can get a properly version to try it again have thought of going back to oem but at just under $1,000 from Honda and it's another gamble I am not prepared to do it again.

On a side note I installed a volt meter this time around as I wanted to watch what was going on and found this.
When ever the Highbeams or the Radiator fan was on there simply wasn't enough power being generated to power them and keep the battery charged it literally drained the system.
When it was all working the rec/reg was outputing only upto 14.3v @ 4k/5k rpms but down low it was pitaful.
Given in AUS the bike get hot really quick in traffic this thing had me seriously worried on the electrics being able to cope.

Though I've had the bike for 5yrs now and done a 60,0000klms I have enjoyed it but this electric crap is just so frustrating. I am about to give up.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Do it right, do it once, they ship international

2nd all the above comments re:
ROADSTERCYCLE.COM

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same boat replaced the Stator and Reg/Rec with a Mosfet FH020AA but alas I didn't know about the ebay knock offs and sure enough after a spirited run after 3 weeks of babying it. It failed yet again.
Wife says throw it away and get something else.
It's not that it's expensive to fix it's just leaves me stranded it's just not reliable. Everything else about the bike I love but this is just a nuisance.
Anyhow I am trying to find in AUS were I can get a properly version to try it again have thought of going back to oem but at just under $1,000 from Honda and it's another gamble I am not prepared to do it again.

On a side note I installed a volt meter this time around as I wanted to watch what was going on and found this.
When ever the Highbeams or the Radiator fan was on there simply wasn't enough power being generated to power them and keep the battery charged it literally drained the system.
When it was all working the rec/reg was outputing only upto 14.3v @ 4k/5k rpms but down low it was pitaful.
Given in AUS the bike get hot really quick in traffic this thing had me seriously worried on the electrics being able to cope.

Though I've had the bike for 5yrs now and done a 60,0000klms I have enjoyed it but this electric crap is just so frustrating. I am about to give up.

I used 'Small Coil Rewinds P/L' over at 50 Edols St, Geelong North....... ph 03-5278 8454.

They do good work and will rewind with heavier gauge wire........ approx cost $320.

Don't give up..... just use the right parts........ my 05 BB is so totally reliable, I kept it as back up for the expensive European bike I'm now riding :evilaugh:

Ps You may need to get the system checked - maybe the stator coil and the reg/rect are stuffed...... and maybe something else is affecting the wiring....... your bike has a fault - mine is 14yo 130,000kms and is 100% reliable........ the oem stator coil failed at 77k kms and I had the guys rewind it and it has been perfect ever since....... my reg/rect was undamaged and tested perfectly. My system pumps out 14.4v from 1500rpm....... I know because i just tested my battery on the weekend. Yes the BB will run to 109C in slow traffic, but that won't hurt it unless your coolant isn't a 50/50 mix and fresh..... I use Honda's HP premix in a blue bottle - it's good for 120C+ but your bike should not go over 109C if it has had good coolant servicing every 4 years.

:thumb:

Ps I'll have a look for that article i read on this forum....... it explains a lot about Honda's weak charging components...... though the BB got HD bits from 2002..... but your's is a 99 model I think..... so it has had the crappy bits the article refers to, whereas my >02 model has much heavier wiring to the reg/rect and has been very reliable.

Ok - have a read of 'poundstretcher's' post from 2009 in the 'Resource Centre' thread just below this thread (called 'How to tell if your reg/rect is about to die' )........ it explains a lot...... and some of the replies give some good info too.....

·
Registered
818 Posts
I replaced mine a couple of months back at 81,000 kms. It got me home after having to bump start it. It’s a 2004. It was interesting because the Australian models have the headlight always on but the battery seemed to have enough juice to power the EFI and the lights. It was night and I couldn’t just pull a fuse or relay.
It had the classic two terminals out of the three stator connector burned. The stator was out of spec (and looking a bit black when I opened it up) and the reg/rec was also tested as faulty. I bough a ricks stator and OEM style rec/reg. I’m not sure what failed first, but I subscribe to the stator loosing a phase and the other two phases cook themselves trying to make up the difference theory. The plug is only a consequence of this problem. I also fitted a voltmeter to a switched source to track things. I’ve only done about 500kms since then but it all seems good. It averages about 14.4volts and gets there at fairly low revs.
I’m trying not to second guess myself about not getting the mosfet.
I’d stick with it Szkil. If you can find the problem, they are very reliable and worth the effort.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update.

New batt and freshly charged, left for 24h, cold crank vaultage = 12.81v.

Revved a bit from cold = 13.78v.

Off to use it and get stranded potentially. No lights but plenty of high revs etc.

Reporting back soon.

Spoke to West Country Windings and the woman there said it was probably bad earthing on the loom???

She also said a good replacement stator from them costs £126.00.

Cheers,

F.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Further findings. 40 mins hard use CCV is down to 12.61v, when running 12.38v.

Further 20 mins gently (behind a police car) CCV down to 12.50v, when running and revved = 12.24v.

Dies something degrade/disconnect in the heat?

Is the stator goosed?

Cheers,

F

1 - 20 of 96 Posts