Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I took a five-day circle trip beginning near San Jose, CA. I thought I'd share some of the best roads and a few lodging/food/sightseeing recommendations.

DAY 1: San Jose - Weaverville, CA

Used the freeway to get away from the urban/suburban Bay Area. If you've got to go North up the Central Valley, get off of Interstate 5 at Woodland. From there, take (state route) CA-113 to Knight's Landing, then use (State Route) CA-45 all the way to Orland. These are lightly-used, two lane highways that only pass through a few towns. There are even some curves on the Southern end of this stretch. It will save you about 80 miles of flat, boring interstate. I took I-5 the last few miles Orland to Red Bluff. Lunch was at the Cowgirl Cafe... good food, uncrowded, nice staff!

Leaving Red Bluff, I rode West on CA-36. This road is fantastic, but has been discussed in other posts here and on other sites. Suffice it to say it's got all kinds of twisties, little traffic and is very clean. About 65 miles from Red Bluff, I turned right on CA-3, another excellent ride. Weaverville has numerous restaurants and motels, but I grabbed a sandwich and went West on CA-299 another ten miles to the Trinity Canyon Lodge near Junction City. Great place... small, quiet, clean, inexpensive, and right on the Trinity River. No broadcast TV, but each room has a screen and DVD/VHS players, and they have about 300 titles to choose from. Highly recommended for a good night's sleep!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
DAY 2: Weaverville, CA - Yachats, OR

First stretch is on CA-299 to Willow Creek... beautiful sweepers, views of the Trinity River and mountains all the way. There can be campers and other tourists on this route, so plan on being across it before 10:00am to avoid the snails. Tried to get breakfast in Willow Creek... no restaurants open on a Tuesday morning, even in mid-summer!

From Willow Creek, turned North on CA-96. Except for a couple of very small towns, this is a raceway of constant sweepers, following the Klamath River all the way to Yreka, CA. I took it for 85 miles to Happy Camp. This is also the day I began to hit road work, with a number of short, single-lane stretches every day. Although you may have to wait 5-15 minutes for your turn, you can ride up to the front of the line and have clear road after the work zone! Happy Camp has numerous small stores, and is a good rest/drink spot.

Next, I went North on Indian Creek Road, much tighter and twistier than the state highways. It's about a 40-mile ride across the mountains, the Oregon border, and Forest Service land to the junction with US-199. Very few cars, no RVs, and some dramatic views... well worth it. 199 is heavily trafficked, and I just made a beeline for lunch at Grants Pass, OR.

From Grants Pass, I rode I-5 North to Sutherlin, OR to save some time. At Sutherlin, I turned West on OR-138 to Elkton, then OR-38 to the Coast at Reedsport. Both these roads are great... glassy smooth, with sections of sweepers punctuated by long, fast straights. There's an elk preserve just before Reedsport, with about forty head in the fields just South of the highway. Highway 101 from here to Florence is not a great ride because of the constant stream of trucks and campers on it. If you get lucky and aren't stuck behind tourists in minivans, the last ten miles into Yachats (pronounced yah-hots) are twisty and fun, a lot like the Coast Highway in California. Just be sure to bring a sweater as it's ALWAYS cold here! I've stayed at The Adobe here twice, and recommend it. Both times, they invited me to park the bike under the entrance awning, to keep it safe and somewhat out of the fog at night.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I enjoyed several of those roads. Visit www.pashnit.com www.destinationhighways.com Washington, Northern California. I was showing some of those pics to my wife, I say, "look at this view." and up pops a "pussy" shot. OMG what with that. She laughs. The roads that connect I-5 to 101 and 101 to #1 are usually great roads especially in Northern Cali. I loved that little motel in the woods. Well done. I did several last summer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
DAY 3: Yachats, OR - Dorris, CA

Retraced my route on US-101 to Florence. Turned East on OR-126 along the Siuslaw River and across the Coast Range to Veneta, OR. This road has moderate traffic, including occasional trucks and RVs. I got lucky and hit road work at Mapleton, so was able to jump ahead of about 40 vehicles and have clear sailing. At Veneta, turned South on Territorial Road, which is a fun county highway, very rural, and with some tighter twisties through farmland. Stopped at Lorane for water and a quick break, and saw something very unique there. It was a cute young woman riding a bicycle, but instead of shorts, she had tied a t-shirt around herself like a diaper! It left little to the imagination. A few miles farther South, I took OR-99 to Yoncalla, rejoined I-5 to Roseburg, then headed East on OR-138, the North Umpqua Highway. I had lunch at, and would recommend, a place in Glide called the Illahee Family Restaurant.

OR-138 becomes a real treat about ten miles East of Glide... beautiful, smooth pavement, lots of turns and fast straights, and very little traffic. It follows the Umpqua River for much of the distance, then climbs out of the valley to about 4000 feet elevation near Diamond Lake. The last part has some really long and open straights, and is GREAT for throttle-twisting. I passed a group of Harleys here like they were standing still (no surprise).

The National Park road around Crater Lake is beautiful, but they seem to be paving it every summer, so don't count on a fast ride. The lake itself is a unique gem in the Pacific Northwest... the remains of an old volcano (Mt Mazama) that blew up and filled with water over the millenia... spectacular, and popular with tourists.

Leaving Crater Lake, I rode South to the junction with OR-62, then down to the store at Fort Klamath. Stop in here for a water, and the owner will tell you about his bike escapades (I think he said it was a Triumph, but can't remember). North of Ft Klamath, this is another fast sweeper road. Once you reach US-97, the fun's over for awhile. 97 has a fair amount of truck traffic, and is patrolled more frequently. I headed just across the border to the first town in California, Dorris. Nothing much here, but it's quiet and the Golden Eagle Motel is basic, clean and cheap. I stayed here to be set up for tomorrow's roads.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Very nice. Last summer I rode down 97 to N.Cali at Weed and then criss crossed to 101, back to 5 then back to 101. Spent the night in Florance. Check out the Destination Highway books. Check out Pashit site. Well done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts