Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm a newbie so apologies for this being in the wrong area. A couple of years ago I bought a 97 Bbird with the intention of it being a winter hack.It livedin the garage under a sheet. The battery was dead and I trailered it home when I bought. I recently fitted a battery with the intention of getting it started and fitted it. I've come to start the thing with new fuel etc; the dash lights up the lifhts all work, the starter is going but wont run or sound like its firing (no fuel apparently ?)...I'm now getting grief from she who enlightens my life. I'm now wondering if the alarm that ive noticed it fitted (data tool series 2) could be the issue of it not firing.Done some digging on the web and lots of people say they're garbage, I don't disagree. I didn't get any fobs when I bought the bike and have just phoned data tool for their help and all they said was there s no support for them. Really helpful. TBH I'm throwing myself at the mercy of this forum as how to check :A) if this alarm had been deactivated by the previous owner, there's a metal key slot on one end which is turned to the 12 o'clock pos'nB) how to get rid of the proxy thing C) how to elimate this from the not starting issues Any assistance any could offer will be gratefully received..( Approaching wits end )

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
hi horseman, if the alarm was installed correctly and alarm engaged starter would not spin, an alarm that age i would ditch, datatool wont help you for security reasons, i.e. bike could be stolen etc. get a local auto electrician to remove it or you could try it yourself, pm me if you need help.

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
I'm with dehn. if you are getting spark, then the problem lies somewhere else.
If you aint getting spark, I'd remove the alarm alltogether.

Since you are in the UK, I'd give John at Jaws a call.You can contact him here:

Jaws Motorcycles and Motorcycle parts supplys for the Blackbird

John is a cool guy that has been serving us for years. He knows birds inside out and can certainly tell you how to remove the alarm. ;)
Oh and browse his site. I am sure you will see loads of stuff you like in there...

Btw where abouts in Blighty are you mate? Ooop north?
I lived in there for a good 11 years... :)

Cheers and welcome to the club.
You are mostly welcome to say hi at the introductions area, so people can get to meet/chat with you.
Chris

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Oh and you can always keep an eye on ebay for a good loom with no alarm. They come up every now and again.

like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR...62?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27c4dd2bda

or this one:

HONDA CBR1100 1100 CBR1100XX 1996-1999 BLACKBIRD CARB MODEL WIRING HARNESS LOOM | eBay

this one...

1997 Honda Blackbird CBR1100 xx - Wiring Loom | eBay

etc..

Hint: When looking for an ebay loom, ask the seller for some close up pics of the regulator/rectifier plug and the starter motor relay.
If these are nice and clean, usually the looms turn out ok. ;)

Good luck mate. :)

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
I tried but I cant resist mate.... So sorry...

Horseman40 huh?

Is this a nickname you got given back at high school, or are you a force to be reckoned? :p

ROFL

I mean horseman, sure I get it. But 40 on top of that? Jesus!

EITHER WAY IM SCARED! LOL!

There. Happier now. Hehe!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Do yourself a big favour and rip out the alarm and buy a massive angry dog. I had the same problem with a spy ball alarm flattening the battery made worse too with a faulty regi rec. alarm out, new regi rec, job done :0)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I went digging, beginning with the basics. After racking my brains over a brew. Turns out its stood for 4 yrs in my gge. Started with basics, after the carbs and the petrol cock was split and cleaned it fired. Its taking in air somehwere i think as it ran fine with a little choke, but without it died. It ran rough but the first hurdle of getting it started was overcome.i have to say eventually it began to sound like they sound and i had an inane/insane grin on my face. Looks like the alarm was "turned off" my the previous owner after all. When ive got more time and my mate who is an ex matleau sparky is available we'll have the alarm out of the wiring loom. thanks for all your posts, very reassuring. In a way it was worth being told off by my good lady for stinking the house out with carb cleaner and petrol. You're all right in as much as a shopping list is growing daily and I've no doubt I'll be contacting Jaws. First up are going to be sundries like new hose clips (so the connections to and from the fuel tank can are firm and sound and ive got faith in them staying put) and then gradually oil cooler and rad incl hoses, as they are in pretty poor condition. At least now I feel enthused to carry on with it rather than scrap it ( which was a niggling thought).Thx again(Btw horseman was a previous nickname lol)

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
LOL!
Great to hear she's running man!

I am sure you will carry on to have her back at pristine running condition again. :)

Or if she dont wanna play, force the whole 40 and she'll comply. Go Horseman!
LOL!

Cheers mate. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts