Honda CBR XX Forum banner

No power, rich, lean and surging...

6K views 64 replies 11 participants last post by  beestoys 
#1 ·
Hello
Recently purchased a 2001 Bird which has been awesome.
From purchase, it seemed to be a bit 'fuelly' at idle, but otherwise great. Until yesterday....
Whilst riding home from work, it lost power and progressively lowered its ability to rev. Like it had a reducing rev limiter.
After about 5km's, I couldn't even get it to leave the traffic lights so I pulled over. There are no warning lights at all, and temp, oil pressure etc all fine. 3/4's tank of 98 fuel.
Being new to fuel injection, I did the only thing which come to mind and that was turn it off and restarted it. It fired up fine and presented no issue for another 5kms where it started again. I shut it down whilst coasting, and rolled started it and it was fine again until I got home. It may have been an allusion, but it seemed the pipes before the mufflers were nearly red hot.
This morning it started up fine, but I'm not riding it until resolved.
My plan on the weekend it to pull and inspect the plugs, compression and leak down test it, drain the oil, inspect all the electrics etc.

So, can anyone provide any insight or direction re what I should be looking for? I've scanned the forum to see similar issues which include the fuel pressure reg?

Any help will be much appreciated as I want my Bird back on the road!

Cheers
Shedspace

See less See more
#61 ·
Success! Well, after 4 months I finally have the Blackbird running.
Original symptoms - No power, hot pipes, grinding to a halt, but restarts.
Faults found - clogged fuel filter, wiring loom fault, fault in ECU causing fuel relay to not turn on, faulty neutral switch, faulty fuel pressure regulator, wet new Iridium plugs.
Having all (or most) of those faults at the one time made it near impossible to resolve. Purchased an original Honda pin board to plug into the ECU which was a good investment, mainly for ruling things out.
Things replaced - wiring loom (likely could have fault found original), ECU, FPR, plugs (again), neutral switch, fuel pump, fuel filter.
Have learnt a lot about this bike, but so looking forward to getting it back on the road as its a skeleton at present.
Thanks to everyone who offered help.
Cheers
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.