Honda CBR XX Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Knowing the pump and/or filter is an issue, I rode the Bird to work today given it went well last ride.
Was fine to work, then behaved terribly on the way home. Wanting to die every 1-2kms, flicking the kill switch on and off makes it come alive again. Whilst it seems to be consuming a lot of fuel (over half a tank for 60kms) the pipes were glowing red hot at the mufflers?. No fault logged in its brain. Will park up and pull pump and filter out, but there seems to be another fault sitting there. Will also look at this main connector thingy.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Red hot was due to raw fuel being burned off in the catalytic converter section of the up pipes. Be very careful if you get it to hot you fuze that section closed and the pipes will be trash as well as the bike won't run because the exhaust is blocked.

Reactions: Ausblackbird

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Red hot was due to raw fuel being burned off in the catalytic converter section of the up pipes. Be very careful if you get it to hot you fuze that section closed and the pipes will be trash as well as the bike won't run because the exhaust is blocked.
OK. Am used to lean engines getting hot and putting holes in pistons, but didnt think of raw fuel down the exhaust. Will change the pump and filter then suss out further before riding it any distance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
An update. On pulling the fuel pump out, I found the filter and screen completely full. The internals of the tank were corroded. A clear case of 'Bird' abuse.
So, new pump, screen and filter installed and the tank internals now treated and looking new. Whilst the tank coating was curing, I had the bike running with the pump sitting in a bucket of fuel. Pressure - 53 PSI and steady. Idled nice.
Then, I installed the tank, filled it up, and fired it up. Well, it spat and ran for a few seconds then stopped. And now its dead. Symptoms:
  • Fuel cut off not starting the pump. Its not getting signal from the ECU.
  • No FI light or flashes (no history either).
  • Plugs are firing when cranking over
  • Power is at ECU
  • If you bridge the fuel cut off relay, it still wont start with the pump running.
  • The stand is up
  • Kill switch on
It appears that the ECU thinks something is wrong so its not turning on the fuel.
Have traced most wires from the devices to the ECU and seem to be OK.

ANY IDEAS? Its starting to frustrate me.....
Thanks
Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
It was running before, you changed the pump, and now its not running. It should be something simple, like fuse, bike not in neutral, wire crossed/pinched etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Agree. Its staring at me most likely. I did spill some fuel when filling the tank so not sure if thats got into a connector or something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well, starting to scrape the barrel of ideas, and a pack of matches sounds appealing... All wires trace fine to the ECU.
Does anyone know what conditions need to be met for the ECU to turn on the fuel cut off at start up?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I removed the fairing last night, and I can see a lot of the wiring looks a bit second hand. Will go over it on the weekend. I put a volt meter on it last night and it was running solid at 14.4V, 13.5 at idle.
"Wiring looks a bit second hand" I'd investigate that further. Could be an alarm hidden somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
ok here's a simple question is the pump in backwards. You say you have fire in your earlier post. Is there still fire? if so then the only thing your missing is fuel. It ran on the bench.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The pump was running from the original connector (53PSI) and I can make it run by forcing the relay on.
Some progress though, since I semi pulled the main loom out a bit and unwrapped the yellow earth block, the brown and black switching wire on the fuel relay plug has gone to ground. If you put the meter across the battery positive and this wire, it shows 12v. When you turn the key on, it drops to 7 volt for 2 seconds then back to 12. So, it appears the ECU is trying to do its job.

I unplugged the grey 12 wire connector under the tank, and the relay wire is no longer grounded. This is with the ECU unplugged. So, I have now located a portion of the loom the relay trigger wire has a fault to ground.

Making progress very slowly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So, made some progress. Tried replacing the main loom which didn't achieve anything. I then replaced the ECU and now the fuel relay is turning on. So, its an ECU failure.
Will put the fuel tank on tomorrow and see if it fires up.
Has anyone used Vectriq in Australia to repair an ECU?

·
Craig
316 Posts
Rarely here.
01 Red 01, US model.
Same symptoms around 60 k miles.
Found clogged in tank filter. Removed tank, replaced filter. Reinstalled tank . much worse. Stumbled sometimes, mostly would no run.
Inspection of my work found that I had installed fuel line at tank/pump banjo 180 degrees reversed. Line looked great with tank propped up. Line twisted and cut off flow with tank down.
I installed the fuel line properly at the bottom of the tank, issues gone the past 15k miles.
Note: original failure was a clogging fuel filter.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
If you have a Peak Voltage Adapter (PVA). Check and make sure you have the correct pulses from the crank and cam. Without either one it won't fire the plugs.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts