Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've just joined today, I've a 2001 Black Blackbird, have her since September, previously had 98 hornett 600 and CBF1000, which I toured Spain & Portugal on last summer, planning Trip down to spain again this July, but my 'bird is giving me some trouble...

I've an intermittent electrical problem,

Initially temperature guage was displaying that she was close to overheating, but the fan was not coming on. I took it to my local dealer for a service, and they confirmed that the fan was coming on at the correct temperature, and that it could have simply been something stuck in the fan preventing it from turning....

Since then, the fuel guage has started showing incorrect readings, when the tank is full,, the guage is showing over full, it has passed the full mark, the speedo is intermittenly wavering and sometimes will show 0 even though I am moving.

I have spoken to the dealer and he said all 3 are on the same earth circuit, fuel, temp & speedo.

Unfortunately I am not too hot on electronics, I have firstly checked all the fuses, swapped the relays to ensure they are all working, I have checked the main fuse to ensure there is no corrossion, and I have checked the earth connector at the crossmember behind the fuel tank, but there is no corrosion on that.

I am stuck at this point, as I have explored the few things I can.

Oh I have also taken off the display unit as it was suggested to me that there may be some corrossion on the back of the display unit causing short circuits, however the back of the display unit is fine, no corrosion on the printed circuit...

Any ideas...

Thanks everyone...

Bambeano..

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Just in the name of clarity, I am going to ask you what will appear to be a series of dumb questions: Are you sure it's an '01? Do you have an analogue speedometer? Is your bike fuel injected? I suspect you may have a '99 manufacture-year bike, but I'll wait for your answers.

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Look up the "loom fix" in here man.
I think its the start of your problems, and its easy to do, as long as you can do a little bit of soldering! :)
Good luck man!

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Hi i havve 01 analogue not sure what ya mean about showing overfull on fuel gauge but my needle does go over the mark but does come down when used a litre or two ,cause i do fill her right up,the temp fan should come on probably around near or above half way but only in cogested areas, not on highway consistency,your speedo problem i cant realy coment about ,but ya need to let the guys know if analogue or digital, all the best.

·
here's jonny
1,434 Posts
welcome to the site, shame about your problems.
i'll leave it with the clever ones.

·
Registered
754 Posts
:welcome: from Canada!

I'll leave the solution to your problem to the mechanically proficient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts