Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all I guess, I miss my 1997 CBR 1100 XX Blackbird and want one again. Not sure if I can ask a question here, but I am giving it a shot. I had a 1997 which was carbureted. I believe in the year or two after that went to fuel injection. I tried looking up horsepower numbers on the different years and was shocked to see Bikez website shows a horsepower drop when the bikes went to fuel injection. Since when is a carb faster than fuel injection? I kept looking and found another site lists the the carb bikes as having less power. Does anyone know for sure which was faster?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
We need to know which color your talking about. Everything here is color based when it comes to performance. As I'm color blind I can't actually state which is the fastest color, but my bike most certainly is the fastest,..and it has carbuerators. :D

On a more serious note: 1997 and 1998 were the years for carbs. Fuel Injection came along in 1999 and finished off the rest of the production run in the year 2007 in some countries (EU). The machine sold up until 2003 in North America and Canada.

The number I've used as a "horse power" claim is 137h.p. for the 1998 carb'd machine. And that is simiply a number I read in one of the many reviews written on the Super Blackbird.

The main claim to fame on the side of the FI models is the, "Watch me start this thing, just .... (pushes button, machine settles in to smooth idle, no choke required)...one touch operation!" he says with a smile.

Can't go wrong with either iteration (of couse we will all say that).

Tony

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
There have been many HP figures thrown about over the years but it is generally accepted on this side of the pond that Carbs and early inj (99-01) made the same in spite of a few small changes above and beyond the adoption of inj (headers, inlets etc) ....... then 'they' made Mr H fit catalysts and other power robbing gubbins in certain jurisdictions. That of course doesn't apply in the States (excluding one certain state!) ......... and then certain European Countries restricted power to 100bhp.

Does anyone know for sure which was faster?
Well since the carbies came first add in the variations in the earths angular acceleration and Uncle Einstein and as Tony says the carbies might just shade it.

There again Which bike has the heavier rider on it?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Or in plain english,they are close enough.Bikes vary,dyno's vary,simple as that.What isn't mentioned is the 5% more that ram air will give you on the f.i. bikes as you pass 85 mph and the air box develops positive pressure.
Faster always depends on the rider.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Or in plain english,they are close enough.Bikes vary,dyno's vary,simple as that.What isn't mentioned is the 5% more that ram air will give you on the f.i. bikes as you pass 85 mph and the air box develops positive pressure.
As I recall, the argument is the headers on the two versions are linked differently. The result is that the carbed version had a steep power curve starting between 6 and 7k rpm. This gave a greater sensation of speed/acceleration. The fuellie has a fatter midrange that softens the power curve and makes it much more linear. The greatest difference in the two is one of perception, not actual performance...that is until the fuellie's ram air begins to make significant airbox pressure as the road speed rises...something very difficult to replicate in a laboratory environment such as a shop dyno.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts